Spring antenna maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
It is that time of year again! Time to maintain the antenna farm. If you have outside antennas then you need to remember these tips to keep them working at peak efficiency.

First: Don't forget to rotate your coax! This is probably the task most scanner listeners forget to do. This should be done regularly, once a year is best. This is most important for monitoring antennas since these are used in only a single direction. Just like car tires, antenna coax gets worn unevenly over the years, a regular rotation keeps the wear even and extends the life. Two-way radio antennas do not suffer from this as much since there is RF flowing in both directions and that tends to even out the wear.

Second: make sure your antennas are clean! Dirty antennas do not work as well as clean antennas. Dirt, bird poop, and other detritus block signals from reaching your antenna and then your radio. A quick rinse from the garden hose will loosen most of the crud but a good annual wax will make this a moot point. Be sure to use a good, high-quality wax specifically formulated for receiving antennas. Automobile wax will work but since it is formulated for painted surfaces it will not adhere as well as antenna wax.

Last: Remember that when working on the roof or the tower to rotate your coax and clean and wax your antennas to be careful. Falling off the roof is not fun but these accidents do help keep firefighters, EMT's and doctors in business. Being more careful doing these tasks will help keep your insurance rates low and your body intact.

prcguy

You forgot to mention swapping the direction of antenna rotor cable as in bringing the outside end into the house and vice-versa. I like to connectorize my rotor cable to make the yearly task a bit easier.
prcguy

It is that time of year again! Time to maintain the antenna farm. If you have outside antennas then you need to remember these tips to keep them working at peak efficiency.

First: Don't forget to rotate your coax! This is probably the task most scanner listeners forget to do. This should be done regularly, once a year is best. This is most important for monitoring antennas since these are used in only a single direction. Just like car tires, antenna coax gets worn unevenly over the years, a regular rotation keeps the wear even and extends the life. Two-way radio antennas do not suffer from this as much since there is RF flowing in both directions and that tends to even out the wear.

Second: make sure your antennas are clean! Dirty antennas do not work as well as clean antennas. Dirt, bird poop, and other detritus block signals from reaching your antenna and then your radio. A quick rinse from the garden hose will loosen most of the crud but a good annual wax will make this a moot point. Be sure to use a good, high-quality wax specifically formulated for receiving antennas. Automobile wax will work but since it is formulated for painted surfaces it will not adhere as well as antenna wax.

Last: Remember that when working on the roof or the tower to rotate your coax and clean and wax your antennas to be careful. Falling off the roof is not fun but these accidents do help keep firefighters, EMT's and doctors in business. Being more careful doing these tasks will help keep your insurance rates low and your body intact.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I made up a special adaptor that connects my garden hose to the base end of the coax. Every spring I connect the hose to the coax and turn the water on so that it pressurizes the inside of the cable to check for leaks. If I don't see any water squirting out anywhere along the length of the coax, I know that I'm not losing any signal... and that rain water can't get in.

DJ11DLN

You should also remove any weather caps from the hollow elements and leave them off for several hours before replacing them. Just as it's important that you have the local tire shop change out the winter air in your tires for summer air, having the wrong seasonal air inside of those hollow elements will cause static buildup, high VSWR, reduced gain, indigestion, and hair loss!:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.