SDR Sharp w/Trunking Real Instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello Everyone...

I have been working on this project for the last 3-4 days. I have downloaded all the material and have the equipment for me to Get SDR Sharp w/Trunking. The problem I am having is that EVERY Single Video and Written instructions on how to set this up are HORRIBLE.

Does anyone have written instructions or a video that shows exactly what to do? If so, please let me know or post links on here so those that want to start this project can do it Efficiently.

Thanks everyone for reading this and Please share any tips you have.

RonnieUSA

Hello Everyone...

I have been working on this project for the last 3-4 days. I have downloaded all the material and have the equipment for me to Get SDR Sharp w/Trunking. The problem I am having is that EVERY Single Video and Written instructions on how to set this up are HORRIBLE.

Does anyone have written instructions or a video that shows exactly what to do? If so, please let me know or post links on here so those that want to start this project can do it Efficiently.

Thanks everyone for reading this and Please share any tips you have.

I guess Your New at this, so please don't put Unitruncker down because You don't understand how to use it..

SCPD

QRT
SDR version I am using is the latest avaiable v1.0.0.1337

I have been able to use SDR Sharp and pick up the local FM Radio Stations. I went to a park here in Miami to see if the Antennas I am using are the issues. I am using the Radio Shack 800mhz on each Dongle. The Main Issue I am having is when I open SDR Sharp (Run as Admin) I sometimes get the error message "Can not Access RTL Device". The only remedy to this is which is not 100% effective is by uninstalling the USB drivers and running Zadig (Run as Admin) and reopening everything.

As for Unitrunker, I have followed all the instructions provided and all I get is a solid high pitched noise on the Voice Dongle. I have played with numerous settings to no Avail.

PS...Obviously, I am NEW to SDR (hence why I am asking questions, after I have done ALOT of Reading) so If your EGO is too BIG to Help us Amateur HAM Operators out. Then its probably best you Leave MY Thread Alone and NOT Post your Sour Grape Comments on a Thread that is meant to help Everyone out that is interested in this New Technology.

SCPD

QRT
I also found getting a trunking setup working a little frustrating. I got the most mileage out of the following website:

P25 Trunked Tracking and Decoding with Unitrunker and DSDPlus | Jeffrey Kopcak, MBA

Between the website above and some wise advise from fellow RR members, I got a working solution for scanning my local county P25 system.

bharvey2

OUTSTANDING!!! Link you Provided...I have everything set up Correctly as described.

The remaining issues I have are the following:

When I go back to SDR Sharp to get the PPM I encounter the error message of "Cannot Access RTL Device"..I am now stumped on how to permanently fix this...

I do not pick up any of the control frequencies in my area (Miami,FL) (Miami Dade Site 2) I will start trying other Control channels now. (Keep Fingers Crossed)

bharvey2

usmc70_14,

Are you trying to run the SDR# and Unitrunker programs at the same time? That could be a problem. Though I haven't tried it, I would expect to get an error because two programs are trying to control the same dongle at the same time.

Also, how far away are you from the Miami/Dade area? If you aren't right in the middle of it, you might not be able to pick up their traffic, especially with the stock dongle antennas. In my area (SF Bay Area), I can pick up the system servicing the area I live in but not the one in the city to the north of me and it's geographical boundary is only about 2 miles away.

bharvey2

SCPD

QRT
BHarvey,

I don't run Sdr Sharp and Unitrunker at the same time. It shouldn't matter, but I do have both programs open but not running at the same time. The main problem I'm having right now is I can't keep sdr sharp from not giving me the error message of "Can not Access Rtl Device ".. I've tried everything I can think of from disabling Auto Play, plug and play, and others as I really think I'm having Zadig and USB issues. I've even used 3 different versions of Zadig to rule out the versions.

As for distance , I actually went to an open Park and attempted different configurations with the stock antenna and the 800 mhz one from radio shack. I went to an open field to see if my house is the issue. This part was a failure, as I wasn't able to use sdr sharp as I was only able to use sdr sharp about 3 out of the 30 times I tried it. That "Can Not Access RTL Device " is really killing me right now.

RonnieUSA

BHarvey,

I don't run Sdr Sharp and Unitrunker at the same time. It shouldn't matter, but I do have both programs open but not running at the same time. The main problem I'm having right now is I can't keep sdr sharp from not giving me the error message of "Can not Access Rtl Device ".

When You get that message 2 programs are trying use it at the same time.

SCPD

QRT
Ronnie

I've also tried it running only 1 program at a time and I "sometimes" get the "cannot access the rtl device "...

I know that sdr sharp is not needed to run unitrunker, the only time I use sdr sharp is to correct for PPM. Once I adjusted I close the program and then continue with unitrunker. The weird part is I'm not hearing the loud noise that comes from the control channels.

bharvey2

usmc70_14,

Just to be clear, having SDR Sharp open but not actively receiving is a no no if Unitrunker is also open in any capacity. You need to completely close down one program before you open another but perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are doing. Also, while SDR Sharp is helpful in determining the proper PPM correction, you must still enter that correction value in Unitrunker. Making a correction in SDR Sharp doesn't alter the PPM correction in Unitrunker.

It may be helpful if you use the scope tab on the bottom of the "Signal" receiver/dongle. It can help you determine whether you are picking up a good P25 signal or just noise.

bharvey2

SCPD

QRT
Well I purchased SDR Touch in the Google App Store and its good to know that I am not "Mentally Challenged" as I have Great Reception using the Stock Antenna and the 800 mhz one I bought from Radio Shack. These SDR's are AMAZING! I feel like I have been missing sooooo much in the HAM world without these tools. There has to be a step that I am missing in Unitrunker for it to work.

I have deleted SDR Sharp from my computer as I have no further need for that program. I started fresh just now by "Refreshing my PC" in Windows 8.1 and will start from Scratch. Maybe my computer is corrupted in one way shape or form.

Ill keep you guys updated.

D

DaveNF2G

Usmc70_14;2369680It shouldn't matter said:
Not possible. If a program is "open" under Windows, then it is running. As such, it is also attempting to access any relevant devices.

prc117f

Most people cant write a complete paragraph in this country so I would not expect a proper instruction set.

SCPD

QRT
Simple Instructions Request for Unitrunker and DSD+

As everyone knows SDR is starting to explode amongst us Hams. Unfortunately, all these set up instructions and videos are all outdated and serve no purpose. I believe that every Ham should have SDRSharp, Unitrunker and DSD+ up and running and a requirement for those in ARES and RACES..

I have a simple request to anyone that wants to better our community with a real set of instructions and/or video on how to get these programs working. Your contribution would help thousands of hams that want to do this but haven't been to successfully accomplish this.

Good Luck and Hope Some take this challenge!

br0adband

As everyone knows SDR is starting to explode amongst us Hams. Unfortunately, all these set up instructions and videos are all outdated and serve no purpose. I believe that every Ham should have SDRSharp, Unitrunker and DSD+ up and running and a requirement for those in ARES and RACES..

I have a simple request to anyone that wants to better our community with a real set of instructions and/or video on how to get these programs working. Your contribution would help thousands of hams that want to do this but haven't been to successfully accomplish this.

Good Luck and Hope Some take this challenge!

I've thought about putting together some more simplistic guides towards getting this stuff all working together to help people out but, to be honest, it's not that simple and no guide(s) are ever going to make it really that simple. It's never going to be a truly point-and-click thing where everything just magically works from the gitgo - it requires time and effort to learn these newer tools of the trade, so to speak.

Using a single SDR stick with analog audio is easy: load the Zadig drivers, pick an SDR application/program like SDR# (obviously the most popular one but not the only SDR application out there and far from the most capable), make sure it recognizes the stick, then basically start up the app/program and go from there tuning in what you want to monitor.

Want to use Unitrunker and two SDR sticks to do decent trunked comms monitoring? It's a bit more complex but still doable in a relatively easy manner - there are still some issues with this process at least I think are still issues, the biggest one for me has always been simply being able to monitor or "hold" on one specific talkgroup at a time which no SDR software seems to do yet - I just to use an SDR stick r two like an actual trunk tracking scanner with the same basic functionality and so far nothing has been able to do it. I could be that something exists to do it in a relatively easy manner but, in my experience with SDR so far nothing does it quite like having an actual trunk tracking scanner can. Surely somebody out there will be able to code something someday that does precisely this with an SDR stick or two; if I was a coder or developer of any kind I would have done my best to create it by now.

Now, having said that, when you involve DSD or DSD+ into this mix for the purposes of decoding digital communications, things get a lot more complex because you end up using multiple programs to get the task done which is a requirement since no one single program can or most likely ever will do it all in one (sadly). The fact that using some "virtual audio cable" software in such situations almost as a priority (meaning you can't really do the things with DSD and DSD+ without it) is just another thing to consider as well, and there are several such virtual audio cable drivers out there, some are free, some are donationware (pay what you feel it's worth), and theirs one big commercial one which is fairly expensive overall.

I know from reading the other thread that you're having difficulty with getting all this stuff working for you, Usmc70_14, and I don't mean to sound harsh when I say this but, creating another thread asking for someone to create such guides when you've already got one thread in existence (that you created) basically stating your case probably won't get far; in fact the threads could probably be merged at this point or else maybe this one just needs to "die a quick death" - I'm just stating an opinion here so please don't blast me for it.

It took me like 2 hours to figure out the driver situation and SDR# the very first time I ever used my RTL stick (purchased just over 1.5 years ago iirc) and I was going only by figuring it all out myself. I did attempt to use one of those older guides to get trunk tracking working with just one RTL stick and I had basically no real success with it so I gave up on that aspect. In order of difficulty I'd say simple analog simplex comms are the easiest, then perhaps analog trunked comms next, then digital simplex comms followed by digital trunked comms being the most difficult. Encrypted comms are irrelevant and not even brought into the fray in such situations so that's a moot point.

It's not that hard, really, and the guides that exist even now are more than adequate but yes, most of them could stand a bit of fine tuning (pun very much intended given the nature of this forum) and perhaps some more easy to comprehend instructions, sure, but most people pick up on it fairly easy.

I don't own this book but I have read some samples of the guts of it and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in SDR related hobbies:

www.amazon.com/Hobbyists-Guide-RTL-SDR-Software-Defined-ebook/dp/B00KCDF1QI

It has an absolute ton of info in it (looks primarily like the owners of the RTL-SDR website basically took most of the website and put it in book form but I could be wrong on that in some respects. It's half price at the moment and even if you don't own a Kindle device (tablet, etc) there's Kindle software for Windows and OS X if you need it so you'd still be able to make use of the eBook nature of the publication.

While Ham Radio is evolving rapidly given the newer digital comms technologies and other aspects, I don't think I'd ever consider using some of these new tools as a requirement for participation - I get your meaning with that last tidbit you stated in the first paragraph about ARES and RACES but, given those members typically are actual Hams, they'd know this stuff takes time to get a good grasp on and no simple guides are ever going to get that done for 'em.

It's all hands-on, just as it always has been... ;)

And as always, this has been my $.02 and a lot of spare change thrown in for good measure.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
Usually I wrote my own personal guide whit note. As no one setting are identical.
what is the most lacking IMO is detail information on each options found in the software so one whit genral knowledge of the system to monitor can easily configure the application using the help file

Status
Not open for further replies.