• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Use CS700 to monitor unknown DMR system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
There's a strong digital signal (probably at a corporate campus) near me that I believe DMR.

Is there a way to use a CS700 to decode the audio without having any of the system information besides the frequency?

Thanks!
Mike

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Or give DSD+ a try... It'll give you all the important details as well as decode the audio (assuming no privacy is in use).

RayAir

To decode DMR with your CS700, you need to know:

1- How to program the radio properly for digital channels (there is a good video on You Tube)
2- Frequency and or frequencies in use. Is it a single site repeater, Capacity Plus, or trunked?
3- Time slot in use (not a big deal, you can program the channel twice, one for slot 1, the other slot 2)
4- Talk group numbers. Without the correct talkgroup numbers your radio will not unmute.
5- Color code in use, can be 0-15.

If you want to guess set up a zone with the frequencies and use color code 1, slot 1 and just add a bunch of talk group guesses to your contacts to try scanning, ex- TG's 1-100.
You can set up test channels with different color codes too, hoping to get a hit.

If you do find a system to listen to, make sure your radio has RX ONLY checked and uncheck the ability for your radio to be remote monitored or radio checked. Most important is do not transmit or even have TX capability on someone else' system. You do not want your radio affiliating with their system and having a rogue radio show up on their system logs.

Your best bet is setting up DSD or DMR decode.

I had SDRSharp but never had any luck getting DSD working right. Thinking of trying DMR Decode with a tapped scanner when I get back from vacation after Mother's Day.

Monitoring DMR is a lot of fun.

RayAir

Which radio would you use the cs700 or cs 701 ?

As a example could you monitor the following systems ?

NYCOMCO MOTOTRBO Trunking System, Various, New York - Scanner Frequencies

just using site 8

OneVoice Network Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

just using site 17

You might want to check if the CS700 radio will go higher than 470mhz. I think it just covers 400-470 and those connect plus frequencies you listed are up around 477 or higher.

You need a UHF DMR tier 2 radio that will cover those frequencies and the programming software (and cable).

Then looks like you need the color code.

Don't program in the control channel and don't forget to program each frequency on the site in twice (slot one, then slot 2)

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Some Australian people have said the 700 is able to be modified up from 470 and you should be able to find the info in the Yahoo group, YMMV

The Motorola 5550/7550 does 400-520 natively from what I understand so that may be an option you might want to look into.

Also it looks like CSI is selling new radios that are divided up in 350-400, 400-470, and 450-520mhz. It is the CS 750 portable and CS 800 Mobile.

The 750 is also the updated version of the 700 that has been talked about for so long. They are updating existing 700 customers starting at the end of this month to the 700A's and 750s regarding the firmware update issue for a small fee.

The 700 has to be sent in for update instead of what they planned which was customer done updating.

DanRollman

Database Admin
To decode DMR with your CS700, you need to know:

4- Talk group numbers. Without the correct talkgroup numbers your radio will not unmute.

If you want to guess set up a zone with the frequencies and use color code 1, slot 1 and just add a bunch of talk group guesses to your contacts to try scanning, ex- TG's 1-100.
You can set up test channels with different color codes too, hoping to get a hit.

Thankfully, the CS750/CS751 removed at least one requirement on this: the talkgroup. The CS750/CS751 now allows you to "monitor" all talkgroups that are coming across a programmed frequency/slot/color code combination. No need to have a talkgroup programmed in order to hear that talkgroup when in "monitor" mode on the CS750/CS751.

Dan

KA2ZEY

Thankfully, the CS750/CS751 removed at least one requirement on this: the talkgroup. The CS750/CS751 now allows you to "monitor" all talkgroups that are coming across a programmed frequency/slot/color code combination. No need to have a talkgroup programmed in order to hear that talkgroup when in "monitor" mode on the CS750/CS751.

Dan

Curious to know if the Tytera MD380 will also do this? And any others?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

Dan
Just looked on their website and I cannot find this. Where did you see this? If this is the case, I'm ordering a CS750 and sending my CS701 in for the upgrade.

Edit: I found some mention on their Yahoo group.

Last edited:

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Does the CS750 require a talkgroup group list with all the groups for the receive all function to work or how does it work? Is there a specific software setting?

DanRollman

Database Admin
Just looked on their website and I cannot find this. Where did you see this? If this is the case, I'm ordering a CS750 and sending my CS701 in for the upgrade.

Edit: I found some mention on their Yahoo group.

I saw it mentioned on the Yahoo group, so I ordered a CS750 myself (have been a CS700 user for a while). Received my radio Saturday and immediately tested this function.

Bear in mind, we're talking here about manually turning on Monitor mode on the radio when sitting on a channel (using a function button), which then causes the radio to unmute to all talkgroups on that channel (e.g. all talkgroups coming across the programmed frequency, slot, color code combination). So far, I have not seen a way to program a channel to be on Monitor mode full time, or to scan channels with Monitor mode on. Also have not seen a way to Monitor all color codes. Hopefully these features will come with time.

Dan

DanRollman

Database Admin
Does the CS750 require a talkgroup group list with all the groups for the receive all function to work or how does it work? Is there a specific software setting?

No specific software setting that I can find to use Monitor mode full time, so it is still best to know and program frequency, slot, color code, and talkgroup of what you want to program. But if all you know is frequency, slot and color code, you could get away with programming only those parameters and then use Monitor mode to monitor all talkgroups active on that channel.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Curious to know if the Tytera MD380 will also do this? And any others?

I don't think this will work on the MD380. IIRC, the software/firmware of the MD380 is more or less a copy of the old CS700, and Monitor mode doesn't work on my CS700. The CS750 uses completely different firmware and programming software with a lot more features than the CS700.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm the MD380 does not have a search mode. A color code, slot # and Group ID is required. A search mode would be a nice feature in a future firmware update.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all! Yes I know the information for most channels, but the ability to turn monitor all talkgroups on for a digital channel with a button will be nice. :)

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I saw it mentioned on the Yahoo group, so I ordered a CS750 myself (have been a CS700 user for a while). Received my radio Saturday and immediately tested this function.

Bear in mind, we're talking here about manually turning on Monitor mode on the radio when sitting on a channel (using a function button), which then causes the radio to unmute to all talkgroups on that channel (e.g. all talkgroups coming across the programmed frequency, slot, color code combination). So far, I have not seen a way to program a channel to be on Monitor mode full time, or to scan channels with Monitor mode on. Also have not seen a way to Monitor all color codes. Hopefully these features will come with time.

Dan

That's great to know. I sent my two out yesterday for the upgrade to 750 so this will be nice to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.