Pro 668 Vs Ws 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

Thinking about getting a back up scanner, for my WS 1080, any noticeable differences between the Pro 668
and the WS 1080, is it the same firmware etc, programming software, Thoughts

Thanks

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
I have the PSR800 and several PRO668's..I can program them both with the software for the 1080, 668 and 800. I have progammed the 1080, 800 and 668 identically and set them next to each other. I don't
See any difference other than the splash screen and belt clip..these are the same radio inside and out

Blackswan73

The 800 and 668 are pretty much identical, except for firmware. The 1080 is the same except it has a few extra menu entries on the scanner for Entering conventional frequencies manually

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
As noted the 800, 1080 and 668 are pretty much the same scanner. With Radio Shack's instability however some people have questioned whether firmware updates for the 668 will be made.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It all depends on if SPRINT will pay the outstanding $300 million dollars still owed to Whistler plus support fees. I have sent emails to RS and was told no support is offered from RS. Then I sent emails to Whistler and was told no that they were trying to work with RS as to what the options were.

Triangulum

If Radio Shack does not continue to have a manufacturer produce scanners for them in the future then the Pro-668 will be their last model ever. Could be quite the collectable. ;)

marksmith

Never thought of it that way. Also, unless some problem issue comes up I am not concerned about firmware updates. It's not likely anybody is out there thinking up future enhancements for the 668.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

marksmith

If Radio Shack does not continue to have a manufacturer produce scanners for them in the future then the Pro-668 will be their last model ever. Could be quite the collectable. ;)
I see folks in other threads trying to figure out how to update it with Whistler 1080 firmware. One guy claims to have done so already.... Removing radio shack from the startup splash screen. Still not understanding why people are trying to do this. Not seeing the value. Plus it would disqualify it i am sure as a radio shack collectors item.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Boatanchor

It all depends on if SPRINT will pay the outstanding $300 million dollars still owed to Whistler plus support fees. I have sent emails to RS and was told no support is offered from RS. Then I sent emails to Whistler and was told no that they were trying to work with RS as to what the options were.

$300 million dollars lol

No, RS does not owe Whistler $300 million dollars.

RS owed their largest creditor, a financial organisation (Wilmington Trust, National Association, Wilmington, Delaware) about $320 million before the bankrupcy proceedings.

In fact, Whistler are not even listed in the the top ten creditors, the lowest of which is about $1.25 million.

RS may not actually owe Whislter anything, or if they do, it is only a very small amount which is likely to be paid in full if RS wants to keep selling Whislter products.

SCPD

QRT
WS1080

The WS1080 has an option to enter a frequency manually from the radio.The Radio shack and GRE do not have this.The WS1080 will probably be the only one getting firmware updates at a certain point.So think about it.

retropcdos

Premium Subscriber
They owe from the claims they put in 1,965,743.12. Don't see 300 million. That if they even still owe that., as this was before the bankruptcy proceedings. For that amount easy to work out a deal and move on, if they wanted to still sell scanners under their branding.

Not sure yet what the new plan detail? As much as I would like to still see scanners, which they still can carry. They need to find a way to bring in new generation of hobbyist. One of the reason they fail was due to the fact they fell way behind. Other was the fact they were primarily selling phones which everyone else sell, then the fact upper management was way out of sync with their stores, what customers wanted and prices were to high. They need to come up with something unique about them that will interest new hobbyist and techs alike. Then they need to offer modding and repair services is they want to stay around. Services is a great way to generate revenue. This will of course require a decent knowledgeable staff and training. Why do you think Apple became as big as they did? Do to the fact you can walk in to one of their locations and they will fix your phone, or other I devices on the spot rather it still under a warranty, or not and you have to pay a fee. Sprint could even benefit by being one of the only few you can get you phone if you crack your screen to replace it in store, instead of having to rely on a 3rd party, or sending it out.

78 02/18/2015 The Whistler Group, Inc. RadioShack Corporation $ 279,965.19

797 03/18/2015 The Whistler Group, Inc. RadioShack Global Sourcing Limited Partnership $ 124,925.00

974 03/23/2015 The Whistler Group, Inc. RadioShack Global Sourcing Limited Partnership $1,560,842.93

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.