Pro-668 Multiple P25 Trunked systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RStolting

Premium Subscriber
I live in S.W. Missouri.. MOSWIN is the state-wide P25 VHF & 700 system. I would like to have a "local" MOSWIN of only 6-8 sites and in a different playlist, a "statewide" with all the sites.
I have downloaded the system, selected the proper playlist... no problem. when I select another playlist to download the same system to, it will piggyback it onto the original download playlist.
If i choose to "duplicate" the system, and select a different playlist, name it properly, it still piggybacks it on the original system!
I know it shouldn't be this tuff......
Thanks in advance... and if I have missed a detail or something is not clear, I will try to explain in better detail.

RDGDigital

That's is how the object method of programming works. You only need to download the system once and then you can assign the objects to one or more scan lists (or play lists as iScan calls them).

You do this on the "Trunked Radio System" tab of the iScan software. I don't have the iScan Software, but here is what it looks like in EZ Scan for the Whistler WS1080...

http://i.imgur.com/UXbvegp.jpg

From that screen you can select what Playlists you want any of those objects assigned to. Just double-click in the Playlist column for the objects you want assigned to multiple Playlists. You can also select several objects and change them all at once. When you double-click on Playlist for an object a list of Playlists will popup and this is where you select additional Playslist for an object.

Hope this helps.

fredva

Feed Provider
That's is how the object method of programming works. You only need to download the system once and then you can assign the objects to one or more scan lists (or play lists as iScan calls them).

You do this on the "Trunked Radio System" tab of the iScan software. I don't have the iScan Software, but here is what it looks like in EZ Scan for the Whistler WS1080...

http://i.imgur.com/UXbvegp.jpg

From that screen you can select what Playlists you want any of those objects assigned to. Just double-click in the Playlist column for the objects you want assigned to multiple Playlists. You can also select several objects and change them all at once. When you double-click on Playlist for an object a list of Playlists will popup and this is where you select additional Playslist for an object.

Hope this helps.

But doesn't that only affect the talkgroups that go into playlists, with the entire group of sites still being scanned? I believe the OP wants different playlists with a different number of sites.

t7ri3g

Premium Subscriber
But doesn't that only affect the talkgroups that go into playlists, with the entire group of sites still being scanned? I believe the OP wants different playlists with a different number of sites.

I think this is the issue that I'm having as well. I want to be able to limit specific sites within a multi-site system to specific play lists. The "Easier to Read" manual seems to imply that this is possible, but darned if I can figure out how to do it.

Easier to Read Pro 668 - WS1080 - PSR800 Digital Scanner and EZ-Scan/iScan Software Manual

Quote:
"For Multi-site systems, program each site into its own scan list first to see how well the site receives in different locations or conditions. This way you can see which sites are receivable by monitoring one scan list at a time and looking for that little "T" in the upper left of the display."

rwier

I am answering using the EZ Scan Software with the 800 radios. I hope this info is similar to your setup.

Bottom Tab "Trunked Radio Systems"

Find your "entire" TRS in the list at the upper left, and highlight that row.

At the far upper right of the screen, select "Duplicate". Answer "yes" to the "confirm" question.

A new duplicate TRS will appear at the bottom of the TRS List and will be automatically highlighted. Highlight the "Alpha Tag" and rename this TRS.

Now down below, you can delete Sites, rename Sites, delete Talkgroups, rename Talkgroups, and delete frequencies, etc.

Be sure that the remaining Sites, TGs, and frequencies, are those that "associate" with each other.

Now you are ready to select the Scan Lists (Playlists?) that this "new" TRS will operate with.

Once again down below, using the "talkgroup Details" tab, Highlight the TGs that you want to assign to one or more Scan Lists.

In the far right column, "Right Click" in the highlighted area under "Scan Lists". "Darken" the boxes next to the Scan List(S) that you want the TG(s) to be in.

I've attached a grab showing that I have a selected TG assigned to Scanlist #9 (which I had previously renamed for my convenience).

Simply repeat this process as necessary to achieve your desired configuration.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,418

t7ri3g

Premium Subscriber
I am answering using the EZ Scan Software with the 800 radios. I hope this info is similar to your setup.

Thank you! I have set up a "duplicate" system with only the local sites programmed, and so far so good.

However this seems like a somewhat awkward process IMO and I hope that future Whistler software releases will have a better approach to multi-site trunking. When I had several sites programmed the scanner was spending lots of time looking for control channels (and missing traffic), even after I lowered the decode thresholds to 55/85.

rwier

Also, another setting that really helped me. In the attached "grab", I call your attention to the "DSP Level Adapt" setting of 52. I believe the default is 64? Just another number to play with. Don't like the changes? Just put them back where they started.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 1,162

Boatanchor

Thank you! I have set up a "duplicate" system with only the local sites programmed, and so far so good.

However this seems like a somewhat awkward process IMO and I hope that future Whistler software releases will have a better approach to multi-site trunking. When I had several sites programmed the scanner was spending lots of time looking for control channels (and missing traffic), even after I lowered the decode thresholds to 55/85.

I agree 100%.

This arrangement for multi-site is very inneficient.
Owning both the Uniden and GRE/Whistler/PRO668, I find the Uniden system much better.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
thank you rwier for posting the tweaks. Made my newly acquired 668 sing on a local CQPSK-LSM 800 system. I am getting used to the iScan software, I am glad I pulled the trigger and got one. Probably the last scanner I ever acquire.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Rwier: Rob, thanks for your explanation about setting up multiple systems on WS-1080 and related cousin scanners. Setting up multisite properly on the WS-1080 has been elusive to me, and that is one reason I prefer the 436HP. I live in Los Angeles but get to Phoenix often to see grandson/daughter and have also experienced difficulty setting up my WS-1080 to handle the RWC sites separately. Maybe we could get together sometime when I am out there.
In the meantime, I tried to duplicate the TRSs as you stated. My test system (one of many such systems in my area) is Orange County CCCS with 5 sites, all very strong at my location, and each usually with different TGs, but sometimes, the same TGs. So I made 4 duplicates TRSs (total of 5) now each with all the TGs (about 200+). So finally, I went to assign the TGs in each TRS with a different name (OCCS site CW, N, S, NW, SW) to different scan lists. But I find I have to do it one TG at a time. Is there anyway to, for example, assign the first TG in the list to say "scangroup 20" and then just press something to assign all TGs for that TRS to 20, without having to repeat this 200 times. I know there is a way with the backlight options, but unable to set all TGs at one time to one particular scan group after duplication.
Thank you

t7ri3g

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyway to, for example, assign the first TG in the list to say "scangroup 20" and then just press something to assign all TGs for that TRS to 20, without having to repeat this 200 times.
Thank you

What I do is select the first row in the series I want to change, then press and hold the shift key, scroll down and select the bottom row. This highlights all the rows in between and then whatever changes I make to the scan lists are updated in all the selected rows.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I agree 100%.

This arrangement for multi-site is very inneficient.
Owning both the Uniden and GRE/Whistler/PRO668, I find the Uniden system much better.

I've found that both are rather inefficient with multisite systems when scanning by zip code from the full database; unless you cut the range down to 5 or less, generally it's scanning sites that are right on the edge for decent reception, and I spend more time fiddling with settings in order to prevent this than I do actually listening to stuff. The 436/536 seem to work somewhat better in this regard but it's still a toss-up.

I've found that the easiest thing to do for fixed-location scanning is create my own systems and scan lists from scratch and only include the sites within confirmed reception range (generally those within 10 miles of my location, at most). While it's somewhat duplicative of the full database already in the radio, it minimizes the issues of poor reception and allows me to spend my time actually listening rather than fiddling with settings; I can also customize what I want to monitor rather than fool around with service type selections.

When traveling to an area I'll be in for several days, I'll generally set up a custom scan / favorite list for that area. For areas I'll only be in briefly, the zip code feature works well enough.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
What I do is select the first row in the series I want to change, then press and hold the shift key, scroll down and select the bottom row. This highlights all the rows in between and then whatever changes I make to the scan lists are updated in all the selected rows.[/QUOTE

Thank you very much

flippz

Premium Subscriber

Bottom Tab "Trunked Radio Systems"

Find your "entire" TRS in the list at the upper left, and highlight that row.

At the far upper right of the screen, select "Duplicate". Answer "yes" to the "confirm" question.

A new duplicate TRS will appear at the bottom of the TRS List and will be automatically highlighted. Highlight the "Alpha Tag" and rename this TRS.

Now down below, you can delete Sites, rename Sites, delete Talkgroups, rename Talkgroups, and delete frequencies, etc.

Be sure that the remaining Sites, TGs, and frequencies, are those that "associate" with each other.

I followed these directions to a T. finally got a play list made and loaded, YEAH. Not so fast. Still missing transmissions and there is no sound at all coming through. I am going on week three with this stupid scanner. I purchased a $500 scanner, right off the bat I have to spend $40.00 on extra card reader cable extra sd cards. I have over thirty hours in this thing and still will not working. The directions are horrible and there is no in store or online assistance.
If any when can help me with this I will really appreciate it. I could hand program my other scanner in less than an hour, ridiculos!
Please help please I am about to throw this thing out the window!
scott ross

Now you are ready to select the Scan Lists (Playlists?) that this "new" TRS will operate with.

Once again down below, using the "talkgroup Details" tab, Highlight the TGs that you want to assign to one or more Scan Lists.

In the far right column, "Right Click" in the highlighted area under "Scan Lists". "Darken" the boxes next to the Scan List(S) that you want the TG(s) to be in.

I've attached a grab showing that I have a selected TG assigned to Scanlist #9 (which I had previously renamed for my convenience).

Simply repeat this process as necessary to achieve your desired configuration.

I followed these directions to a T. finally got a play list made and loaded, YEAH. Not so fast. Still missing transmissions and there is no sound at all coming through. I am going on week three with this stupid scanner. I purchased a $500 scanner, right off the bat I have to spend $40.00 on extra card reader cable extra sd cards. I have over thirty hours in this thing and still will not working. The directions are horrible and there is no in store or online assistance.
If any when can help me with this I will really appreciate it. I could hand program my other scanner in less than an hour, ridiculos!
Please help please I am about to throw this thing out the window!
scott ross

Status
Not open for further replies.