MARCS IP and the Sentinel Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
OK, so originally when I programmed my scanner with the sentinel software, I deleted all the sites except the county that I was trying to listen to… ex, lake county, i kept only the lake county simulcast site… was that right to do, or should I have kept the area surrounding too, geauga county, ashtabula, and cuyahoga county sites? Just trying to figure it out because i seem to be loosing a lot of transmissions. I am using a 436HP.

Swipesy

OK, so originally when I programmed my scanner with the sentinel software, I deleted all the sites except the county that I was trying to listen to… ex, lake county, i kept only the lake county simulcast site… was that right to do, or should I have kept the area surrounding too, geauga county, ashtabula, and cuyahoga county sites? Just trying to figure it out because i seem to be loosing a lot of transmissions. I am using a 436HP.

Not all IP Radios are associated with every system. For instance, here in Southwestern Geauga County I cannot hear all of Lake County because I cannot hear all Lake County Towers. Cities like Mentor are not associated with Geauga Towers. As a result I program Lake, Geauga, Cuyahoga, Portage Towers. In that manner I can hear those Lake County Communities associated with Geauga Towers. I suggest you put back your surrounding towers.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
ok, thats what i did when i was programming in the new euclid on marcs ip, as an experiment, but i wanted to update my whole list. thanks for the quick reply swipesy.

tonya

Premium Subscriber
I have the Cuyahoga, Lake and Geauga towers programmed in my HP-1 and its working great. I did an experiment last weekend and just programmed 1 radio with only the Cuyahoga site and the other with the 3 I mentioned and the one with only the Cuyahoga site did not work as well. I also found that the 2.03 firmware for the HP-1 worked the best for the Marcs IP system.

TedRHayes

Quick Keys with multi-site Systems

Here is a scheme I've employed on my BCD436HP for the Ohio MARCS-IP sites:

I load ALL the sites from the data base into the FL but I assign each to Quick keys in the 90-99 range. I use 90 for the primary site (in my case Greene Co Simulcast) and other close sites in Quick Keys 91-97. I use Quick Key 98 for the Mobile Site, and Quick Key 99 for all remaining sites.

I typically run this FL with all the 90-99 quick keys except 90 and 91 disabled. But if I need to, I can then just enable the appropriate sites.

I also load all the departments in to the FL, and I generally run with ID-Search enabled (I'm interested in anyone using the MARCS-IP in my area – subject to Service Type filtering).

Not sure this scheme could be adapted for your purposes, but I've found it helps.

Note: I actually have two FLs on my 436 with the entire MARCS-IP data base (sites/departments) loaded. One has Location Based Scanning disabled (that's what I use the above scheme with), and the other has Location Based Scanning enabled – that I use when I'm using my 436 mobile connected to a GPS.

budevans

Tonya, I have upgraded my firmware... Is there any way to go back to the older firmware?

Firefox89,

You do not want to downgrade the firmware for the 436. In fact a new version is due out in the next month or so. Tonya's scanner is an HP-1, not the same as your BCD436HP.

I'll Private Message you with my 436 setup info.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Now a new problem… I programmed the Cleveland System into my scanner to listen to, which I can usually hit on to from around 305 and Rt. 2 in Willowick… I set it up in my favorites list as its own system, but when I turn that favorites list off, I am some how still picking it up… I don't get it!!! With my bc396t, if i turned that system off it would not come through… Any ideas?

Here is how I have my scanner programmed.

Quick Key 0- Lake county
I have the simulcast for cuyahoga, geauga, lake, and ashtabula, geneva towers programmed in

Quick Key 1 is geauga county
I have the same but portage county towers added into for this system

Quick Key 2 is The cleveland system… which i have unselected…
but I have the hunting valley, chagrin falls, and cleveland system towers programmed in

and quick key 9 is the euclid system which i have the towers for lake, geauga, cuyahoga, and geneva towers in… can anybody please explain this to me?

budevans

Now a new problem… I programmed the Cleveland System into my scanner to listen to, which I can usually hit on to from around 305 and Rt. 2 in Willowick… I set it up in my favorites list as its own system, but when I turn that favorites list off, I am some how still picking it up… I don't get it!!! With my bc396t, if i turned that system off it would not come through… Any ideas?

Here is how I have my scanner programmed.

Quick Key 0- Lake county
I have the simulcast for cuyahoga, geauga, lake, and ashtabula, geneva towers programmed in

Quick Key 1 is geauga county
I have the same but portage county towers added into for this system

Quick Key 2 is The cleveland system… which i have unselected…
but I have the hunting valley, chagrin falls, and cleveland system towers programmed in

and quick key 9 is the euclid system which i have the towers for lake, geauga, cuyahoga, and geneva towers in… can anybody please explain this to me?

Each site should be it's own Favorites List. You are mixing multiple System (Sites) in Favorites Lists.

Here's the format that I suggest you try.

Lake County Quick Key - 0
It's Departments should also be QK - 0
Lake County Simulcast Site(control freq's) make Quick Key - 70

Geauga County Quick Key - 1
It's Dept should also be QK - 1
Geauga County Simulcast (Site) Quick Key - 71

Cuyahoga County Quick Key - 2
It's Dept should also be QK - 2
Cuyahoga Simulcast (Site) Quick Key - 72

Cleveland GCRCN Quick Key - 3
It's Dept should also be QK - 3
Cleveland Simulcast (Site) Quick Key - 73

Note this format was suggested by UPMan in a YouTube Video.

This thread is technically out of bounds for the Ohio Forum. This should be handled in the Uniden Forum, it's programming. Please PM me with any questions.

budevans

Euclid reported on MARCS-IP (CUY)

Regarding Euclid, PD & Fire have been reported monitored on MARCS-IP.

Euclid PD CH1 Dispatch 13635
Euclid PD CH2 TG13647

Euclid Fire CH1 Dispatch 13629
Euclid Fire CH2 13652

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Each site should be it's own Favorites List. You are mixing multiple System (Sites) in Favorites Lists.

Here's the format that I suggest you try.

Lake County Quick Key - 0
It's Departments should also be QK - 0
Lake County Simulcast Site(control freq's) make Quick Key - 70

Geauga County Quick Key - 1
It's Dept should also be QK - 1
Geauga County Simulcast (Site) Quick Key - 71

Cuyahoga County Quick Key - 2
It's Dept should also be QK - 2
Cuyahoga Simulcast (Site) Quick Key - 72

Cleveland GCRCN Quick Key - 3
It's Dept should also be QK - 3
Cleveland Simulcast (Site) Quick Key - 73

Note this format was suggested by UPMan in a YouTube Video.

This thread is technically out of bounds for the Ohio Forum. This should be handled in the Uniden Forum, it's programming. Please PM me with any questions.

Ok now you have me confused... Earlier in the post I was told I should have other sites in so that way they are covered... Now your telling me I shouldnt? Should I program if I want to listen strictly to lake county to get the best reception only the lake county simulcast, or add in Geneva, Geauga simulcast and cuyahoga simulcast? This is all new to me because sign I had my 396t I just programmed lake county for when I listened to lake county and Geauga county for listining to Geauga county.

I have my quick keys set up in a format to turn certain things off at certain times with the surrounding sites (adjoining towers) they could be associated with because of overlap. I have my scanner sett up as so.

Qk 0 I is lake county
0.0 is lake county group
0.0.0 is lake FD west
0.0.1 is lake FD east
0.0.3 is lake tac channels
0.0.4 is lake west PD
0.0.5 is lake east pd
In here I have programmed the lake simulcast site, the Geauga simulcast site, cuyahoga simulcast site and Geneva site.

Qk1 is Geauga county
1.0 is Geauga county group
1.0.0 is Geauga county fire
1.0.1 is Geauga county police
Here I have programmed the Geauga site, lake site, cuyahoga site, Geneva site, and portage site.

Cleveland system is Qk3
3.0 is Cleveland system group
3.0.0 is Cleveland arff
3.0.1 is Cleveland ems
3.0.2 is Cleveland FD
3.0.4 is east Cleveland fd
In here I have the Cleveland simulcast site, hunting valley site, and chagrin falls site,

I thank you all for your patience as I'm just trying to do the best I can with the little knowledge I have... I am still learning this scanner, and the MARCS-IP system on a day to day basis.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Also, if Anybody in the lake, Geauga, eastern cuyahoga could meet up with me and we can program my scanner how I want it to work... I can buy beer and we can work on it together that souls be great.

Voyager

Likely the 'separate sites in separate systems' suggestion was for older scanner models. There is no reason all the Sites cannot and should not be in the same FL. Use the setup described in Post #5.

k8zgw

Channels for marcs ip ??

Just getting ready to program Euclid into my GRE 600.
Should I program just the control channels OR all listed channels ?
What happens if "they" change the control channel to something not programed ?
is there a problem with adding ALL listed ?

Don

TedRHayes

Don

I can't specifically speak to the GRE 600, but generally entering all channels might cause a very slight increase in the time it takes to find the active CC each time your scanner comes back to the system as it will search for signals on all the programmed channels.

You are probably safe with just programming the CCs identified. I believe most of the site frequencies in MARCS IP are confirmed with software (e.g., UniTrunker or Pro96com) that reads the P25 CC which self identifies alternate CCs. So unless they restructure a Site its not likely to change, at least not very often.

budevans

Don

You only need the CC's. But it won't hurt anything to load all of the frequencies. It just depends on how much memory space you have available

FYI: MARCS and Motorola as a general rule don't change their CC's once a system is up and running.

budevans

Likely the 'separate sites in separate systems' suggestion was for older scanner models..

Actually it was in response to Firefox89 very first post. The last sentence said that he believed he was losing a lot of transmissions.

So I suggested a very simple and straight forward setup that he could use to get a handle on each systems activity. The three Sites (Cuyahoga, Geauga and Lake Counties) are all very large very busy Simulcast Sites. So it is a safe bet that if you group them together in a single Favorites List, you will miss a lot of traffic. Having said that, even when they are separate you are still going to miss traffic on two of the other sites when the scanner is stopped on one. But with the simple format you can then get a handle on how busy each site is and maybe determine a workable compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.