National incident management system, azalea festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
I read in this morning's Star News.... that all the security agencies communication for the AZALEA FESTIVAL IN WILMINGTON, NC New Hanover County, .....will be coordinated thru the NATIONAL INCIDENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM to ensure no overlapping response from all the different agencies working the week long event.

Is that a trunking system? Anybody know the best control frequencies and TG's to program and monitor this event?? Thanks for any insight!!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I read in this morning's Star News.... that all the security agencies communication for the AZALEA FESTIVAL IN WILMINGTON, NC New Hanover County, .....will be coordinated thru the NATIONAL INCIDENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEM to ensure no overlapping response from all the different agencies working the week long event.

Is that a trunking system? Anybody know the best control frequencies and TG's to program and monitor this event?? Thanks for any insight!!

NIMS stands for "National Incident Management System" and is just a nationwide set of communication standards that organize communications at events at which many different organizations will be participating:

https://www.fema.gov/national-incident-management-system

From the above link:

"The purpose of the NIMS is to provide a common approach for managing incidents."

National Incident Management System (US) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Part of NIMS is the ICS or Incident Command System:

Incident Command System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is where branches of agencies are setup and used during the event. You will usually hear terms such as "Fire Branch", "Medical Branch", "Law Branch", etc.

All of the above was written about in the Star News Article:

Because so many agencies will work together out of a command station on site, they will follow a command system created for multi-agency response in 2004. Agencies will use the National Incident Management System, which unifies the command system, ensuring agencies do not overlap in their response or do something counterproductive to what another agency is doing, Flowers said.

The agencies also will use the same radio channel in their coverage of the event.

They are probably using a talkgroup on the New Hanover Radio System.
Marshall KE4ZNR

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
NIMS

Thanks Marshall,
If they are using a NH County Talk Group, I suspect it would be an UN-Encrypted one so all the other agencies could communicate, right??

I will take a look at NH County stuff on Radio Reference and download a Favorite list and see what comes across on the UN-Encryted frequencies and TG's. Any other suggestions are certainly appreciated. Thanks for the insight.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Marshall,
If they are using a NH County Talk Group, I suspect it would be an UN-Encrypted one so all the other agencies could communicate, right??

I will take a look at NH County stuff on Radio Reference and download a Favorite list and see what comes across on the UN-Encryted frequencies and TG's. Any other suggestions are certainly appreciated. Thanks for the insight.

NIMS calls for unencrypted comms and little to no codes/signals to allow for easy cross agency communication.

Marshall KE4ZNR

JACKNTB2012

Premium Subscriber
I am hoping these NH County Public Service TG's may be the ones they use for the festival. I will report on any transmissions.

33004 PUBLIC SAFETY 3
33005 PUBLIC SAFETY 4
33006 PUBLIC SAFETY 5
33007 PUBLIC SAFETY 6
33008 PUBLIC SAFETY 7
33009 PUBLIC SAFETY 8
33010 PUBLIC SAFETY 9
33011 PUBLIC SAFETY 10
33003 PUBLIC SAFETY 2

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I would also keep an ear on VIPER Statewide Event Talkgroups.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Don't forget the nationwide 700 and 800 Mhz interop channels as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.