• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng HT and simplex repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumfan

I have a Baofeng UV-82 that I'm hooking up to the Argent Data simplex repeater. I'm having an issue I can't figure out, the Baofeng sometime switches from Frequency A to Frequency B when I transmit into it and then the simplex repeater transmits but I hear nothing. Also when this happens the orange and green light flash over and over on the repeater after the failed transmission. Any suggestions anyone? Very frustrated

w1wra

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, did you ever get this figured out? This same exact thing is happening to me now.

w1wra

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I think you are on to something.

I do not have an adapter handy to try an external antenna, but if I disconnect the antenna and put the radio on low power (I know, not a great idea) it seems to work properly.

Time to recheck the junk pile for a female sma adapter. Will follow up when things are good to go.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
By "simplex repeater" do you mean the transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency? If so you are going to have a very hard time making anything work properly due to receiver overload. A little more info about your setup is needed (frequencies, antennas, length and type of coax cable for starters).

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
By "simplex repeater" do you mean the transmitter and receiver are on the same frequency? If so you are going to have a very hard time making anything work properly due to receiver overload. A little more info about your setup is needed (frequencies, antennas, length and type of coax cable for starters).

The kind of simplex repeater the OP is Talking about is a stored voice repeater. It records incoming audio, then when the transmission drops, it plays it back on the same frequency.

Denense/etc that affect normal repeaters is not an issue here.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Doh! Knew I should have had more coffee before I wrote that reply. Actually was going to include a comment about simplex repeaters and note that if it was a store-and-forward type repeater then RF is not the issue. Thanks for catching it, Thunderknight. So what is the problem? Another guess...
Does the UV-82 have dual standby, and or the ability to have one "receiver" in "channel mode" and the other in "frequency mode"? I've seen flaky behavior on one of my HTs (not a UV-82) when I transmit but have different modes (channel vs freq) in each display. It will switch from "A" to "B" and the next time I transmit it is on the wrong radio / frequency.

N8XOG

The cable Argent sells for Baofeng is wired for the Kenwood handheld radios. It just so happens that Baofeng uses the same mic wiring except for the UV-82. The UV-82 has upper and lower push to talk buttons. So does the remote mic made for the UV-82. The Argent cable can't deal with this and will confuse the radio. There is nothing wrong with your Argent. It's not overloading, It's not an RF problem.
Simple solution: use your Argent with a UV-5r. It will work fine, mine does.

matty909

Make sure tdr "dual standby" (menu-7) is off and/or make sure tdr AB (menu-34) is on either "a" or "b" whichever line you plan to transmit on

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
I have a Baofeng UV-82 that I'm hooking up to the Argent Data simplex repeater. I'm having an issue I can't figure out, the Baofeng sometime switches from Frequency A to Frequency B when I transmit into it and then the simplex repeater transmits but I hear nothing. Also when this happens the orange and green light flash over and over on the repeater after the failed transmission. Any suggestions anyone? Very frustrated

Your UV-82 is working normally. When you press the top [A] [PTT] button, the top [A] display is automatically selected. When you press the bottom [PTT] button, the bottom display is automatically selected.

Standard external mics and accessories can only key up the bottom display. When the bottom display is keyed up, it become selected as described above. Only a dual [PPT] external mic can key up the top [A] display. So the Argent Data simplex repeater can only key up the bottom display of your UV-82, You must use the bottom display with your simplex repeater.

Reference for UV-82 Menus

Jim KC9HI

Status
Not open for further replies.