ST2 Antenna Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwopp2

Hello all, I am using the ST2 antenna about 12' about the roof line, with a BCD996T. My range is about 25 to 30 miles. I live in Ashland KY along the Ohio river, so I have a few large hill to the east of me but clear to the west. My question is, is this a good range for this antenna. I am using the coax that came with the antenna with about a 30' run. Most everything I scan is VHF with some UHF. Looking at the reviews for the ST2 I expected better distance.

Voyager

That all depends on the power and profile of what you are monitoring. I routinely get 50+ miles out of my ST2s with the ability to pick up some weather stations from up to 80 miles or greater.

rwopp2

You being able to pickup several weather stations is an example of my problem. I can only pickup one weather station and it is in the same town as I am. But I can pickup several towns that are 25 to 30 miles out, so the antenna and coax should be ok. I have mountains to the east so that I can understand, but to the west is clear and still only about 25 miles distance.

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
I live in the same area, between Ashland & Catlettsburg out in the county with the same antenna & scanner in a hollow between two hills. I pick up digital signals even to Lincoln Co WV and analog from Barboursville Pd. That being said, I did find the supplied coax with the antenna somewhat less than "ideal" & replaced it with better RG6 from my local catv friend And proper waterproof compression fittings for a much improved signal across the board. The catv company uses Belden quad & was stipped & fitted by a pro & never folded/mangled to fit in a box. I know you can do even better, but this was a cheap/easy improvement for me with very little labor involved. Good luck.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
You say your antenna is 12 feet above the roof line how high is your antenna really,you could try a preamp I tried this on my st2 and it helped out a lot let us all know what you come up with and good luck.............

Blackink

How long have you had the antenna up outside?

You need to seal all the coax connections and where the transformer connects to the antenna.

The longer they're exposed to the elements, the quicker things will deteriorate, including your signal strength.

DJ11DLN

How long have you had the antenna up outside?

You need to seal all the coax connections and where the transformer connects to the antenna.

The longer they're exposed to the elements, the quicker things will deteriorate, including your signal strength.

Another +1. There are several options for this...I always just used "liquid tape," and other than it being a minor PITA when I have to disassemble something, have had fine luck with it, but I'm sure others will chime in with what works for them. But use something to keep the weather out.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.