P25 And DMR In One Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I am interested in finding a radio that has BOTH P25 AND DMR in one device. I know that CSI has one planned, but are there any currently that are on the market right now?

VFCC

Feed Provider
We would love to see one too. With so many organizations going to DMR for their narrowband solution, our cops can't talk to them anymore.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
What's that "radio" going to cost? $3-5000 each???

Man this "hobby" is expensive!

Mike

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
With P25 Phase 2 being TDMA…in the future we may see Phase II radios offer DMR as an added upgrade. I'd bet Motorola would be one of the first if they ever saw a true market for it.

However, with nearly all modern digital systems being networked and Rayfield selling this for the cost of a handful of DMR radios there really isn't a point when it can all be done over an IP network. Remember, officially interop is FM anyway so there is always the FM fallback.

Will we see a P25/DMR radio? We are more likely to see a P25-II/DMR radio but probably at a price in the thousands for a handheld. It may would also be of note that many areas have little to no usage of VHF DMR. So a dual band radio may be in need as well. For example, the unspoken plan for Texas is to keep DMR in the UHF bands and utilize all of the surplus state and county agency VHF P25 repeaters (not a ton of UHF P25 stuff in Texas that can be used in the ham bands) for the 2m band…since you'd need two different radios to play anyway.

beischel

We would love to see one too. With so many organizations going to DMR for their narrowband solution, our cops can't talk to them anymore.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

Every large police and fire department I've spoken with has no desire or intention to have anyone outside of their respective organizations using their systems, or have a need to communicate with hams. So this argument of hams needing to have P25 to communicate with police and fire ATO and emergency just isn't there.

Cannot fault their position. Did you ever listen to a amateur radio weather net? The net control will state they are only looking for actual visual reports and you'll have all these clowns asking net control for weather information or reporting what they are hearing on AM/FM radio or watching on the TV.

Can you even imagine what dispatchers would have to deal with if they let hams communicate with them? Yup a nightmare.

VFCC

Feed Provider
Every large police and fire department I've spoken with has no desire or intention to have anyone outside of their respective organizations using their systems, or have a need to communicate with hams. So this argument of hams needing to have P25 to communicate with police and fire ATO and emergency just isn't there.

Cannot fault their position. Did you ever listen to a amateur radio weather net? The net control will state they are only looking for actual visual reports and you'll have all these clowns asking net control for weather information or reporting what they are hearing on AM/FM radio or watching on the TV.

Can you even imagine what dispatchers would have to deal with if they let hams communicate with them? Yup a nightmare.

Although this tread is in an amateur radio section of the forum, no one has mentioned anything about having hams come up on public safety frequencies, so I have no idea where your first paragraph came from.

To clarify what I was saying in the message above of mine that you quoted. Prior to a few years ago our cops who are operating on a P-25 trunked system have been able to come up on things like mall security, campus police, school district security, and several large business security channels. However many of those channels switched to DMR when they narrow-banded a few years ago. Because we can't equip our cops with radios that will do P-25 and DMR, our cops can no longer communicate directly with these other agencies on their channels. We would love to be able to have those channels in our PD radios again. I don't think anyone is suggesting having non public safety people being able to operate on public safety channels.

beischel

Although this tread is in an amateur radio section of the forum, no one has mentioned anything about having hams come up on public safety frequencies, so I have no idea where your first paragraph came from.

To clarify what I was saying in the message above of mine that you quoted. Prior to a few years ago our cops who are operating on a P-25 trunked system have been able to come up on things like mall security, campus police, school district security, and several large business security channels. However many of those channels switched to DMR when they narrow-banded a few years ago. Because we can't equip our cops with radios that will do P-25 and DMR, our cops can no longer communicate directly with these other agencies on their channels. We would love to be able to have those channels in our PD radios again. I don't think anyone is suggesting having non public safety people being able to operate on public safety channels.

My first paragraph was in response to your posts. You posted it in the amateur radio section. While I was referring to amateurs, the feeling of the police/fire folks I talked to is they do not want anyone outside their respective services on their radio systems.

In our area the campus police of all the universities are already on the police system because campus police are police. The school systems use real cops so same applies. Mall security, ah no, you won't find them on the system. Same with security companies.

So whether it is hams, private security, or whatever, if they are not real police/fire people, they don't want them on the P25 system. Hence, at least in medium to large cities, a P25 and DMR radio is not required. Now maybe in Mayberry, that might be a different story. I don't know.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You're not seeing what he's saying. The police are authorized and want to use the rent-a-cops (campus security who believe they are police, school district police, mall security, etc) frequencies, not the other way around.

VFCC

Feed Provider
beischel - you just are not getting it!

NO ONE IN THIS THREAD IS SUGGESTING THAT ANYONE OTHER THAN PUBLIC SAFETY PERSONNEL SHOULD BE USING PUBLIC SAFETY CHANNELS!

We would love to be able to put the campus police, mall security, hospital security, etc that we USED to have in our PD radios. However many of those agencies switched to DMR when they narrowbanded so our cops can no longer because we can't put DMR into out P-25 PD radios.

BTW, our college police are real police and are on our P-25 system, and although they have their own talkgroups, they do have both our PD and fire talkgroups in their radios, and they work together somewhat regularly - particularly on things like DUI checkpoints - who would have thought that college students might get drunk :)

As for this being in an amateur radio thread, I didn't start this thread, and didn't even notice that it was in an amateur section until you mentioned it.

beischel

Oh, I get it alright. But as I stated, these posts - whether from you or whoever - are in an AMATEUR RADIO group. Thus, since the topic is AMATEUR RADIO, I responded with why P25 and DMR will not be on the same radio and even if it were, why Police/Fire would not be interested in communicating with AMATEURS.

If you or anyone else is going to post in an AMATEUR RADIO section of this forum, then I like others will respond with an AMATEUR RADIO perspective.

If the discussion is not about AMATEUR RADIO, then it was put in the wrong section of the forum.

So now do you get it?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Maybe this will straighten things out. I have a DMR repeater, a P25 repeater and two analog repeaters, all of which are in the ham bands. I would like it very much if I was able to use one radio for all of the above, so there is a desire for a DMR/P25 radio. My best guess is that Motorola nor any other manufacturer will ever make one because they want to keep Public Safety in a separate group and charge them LOTS of money. If they made a DMR radio that was capable of having P25, then PS would most certainly migrate to those "cheaper" radios and Motorola would lose money. Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.