• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5000 Remote Head dip switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I finally (!) got my NX-5700 today and have been working on installing it in my truck. I have everything laid out, but I can't get the remote head to power up. I have 13.8 Volts to the power connector with the engine running and am not using the ignition sense wire.
I noticed that in both ends of the remote head kit there are 2 dip switch banks with 4 switches in each. I cannot find any information in the documentation I have about the correct settings and whether or not this is why the radio will not boot up.

Any help would be appreciated!
Mark

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Zane,

Not sure if you are asking, but if you have a single control head with a single RF deck, then all 4 DIP switches on the KRK-14H and KRK-15B should be set to "on".

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you put the cables in correctly, and both power leads are connected. As MMc said, all switches on. Next basic head or enhance KCH-20? Display will show unprog and you need to firmware update it, stupid but that's the deal. Kch manual due out soon for dealers.

KD4EFM EVANS
sent from my HTC m9

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, Gents.

I did get it figured out. I re-seated the ribbon cables and everything has been great.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Colton25

Well I got mine installed and did everything you guys said and still nothing. When I try and power on I get a click from the speaker like it's turning on however the screen remains black..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Ribbon cable to the 14 or 15 or both ends. Recheck, and make sure none of the traces are touching, cross or lifted.
Single heads dip switch 1-4 are on.

EFM

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

Colton25

Ok I will check the ribbons again, I have the 20 head, should the dip switches still be the same? I don't know why the speaker would make sound but the screen would remain black.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Speaker is plugged into the Rf deck right? Did you tell the radio Kch20 before you changed the heads and programmed it?

Colton25

I received the radio with the Kch20 detached, it didn't come with a regular head so I'm not able to program before installing the 20 head.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Try to read the radio from the DB25. Advise what happened.

Colton25

What's the DB25? I tried reading it with the screen black and it said check com port

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The DB25 is that serial port on the back of the radio.... Standard cable. If it reads, then there is an issue with the remote kit connections.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Db9 to 25 adapter, or cable, easy to get one from a PC store....

Colton25

So are you saying in order for it to work the radio first needs to be told it is connected the Kch20? And I can do that with the Db25?

Colton25

Well I contacted the dealer, I was given additional document manuals for setting up remote heads, it really helps but my hands are still tied. I was also told in order for the 20 head to work you must be updated to the latest firmware. I have to order the db25 cable, I wish there was another way I could update the firmware and change the head to the 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.