• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Saber CPS communication problem - HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the latest CPS software for the Astro Saber and I am trying to use it on a Durabook windows 7 64bit platform. I used the virtual windows xp 32bit to install and run the CPS. I cant get the software to communicate with the radio. I installed an older version of the CPS on a dif computer ( one I use to program Sabers). The computer read the radio so I know it is not the rib box or the cables. I can not use that version of CPS because it is to old for the code plug in the radio. My first thought is a comm port issue. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue?

PACNWDude

Astro Saber programming computer.

I have used my oldest computers for Astro Saber CPS programming. Including swabbing hard drives from an old Panasonic CF-72 into newer bodies to keep my old XP Motorola programmer running.

As the previous poster said, CPS likes XP. I tried virtual machines on Windows7 and Windows8, and eventually went right back to my old XP computers, Panasonic and an older Toshiba Tecra. Windows XP is the one that works.

For non-Astro Sabers, I use RSS and DOS on a very old Toshiba Satellite.

Some local radio shops keep old XP computers just for the pre-1998-2000 Motorola radios, since that is what works.

N4KVE

I just sold a XP laptop to a guy I know with a serial port for $120. He was tearing his hair out between the Windows 64 bit laptop, & the USB/serial port adapter. Now he's my best friend. LOL.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
I have the latest CPS software for the Astro Saber and I am trying to use it on a Durabook windows 7 64bit platform. I used the virtual windows xp 32bit to install and run the CPS. I cant get the software to communicate with the radio. I installed an older version of the CPS on a dif computer ( one I use to program Sabers). The computer read the radio so I know it is not the rib box or the cables. I can not use that version of CPS because it is to old for the code plug in the radio. My first thought is a comm port issue. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue?

Not going to read/write under win7 64bit. You can use the software under virtual xp and edit the codeplugs but thats it.

cabletech

I have found and others have found, that the Saber software DOES NOT like to run under 64 bit OS.

Some times it will work okay under straight Win 7 32 bit, and other times using Win 7, you need to set compatibility for XP or use virtual XP.

BUT THE BEST WAY is to use a true XP machine 32 bit.

I also have a supply of Gateway 450 computers with a true serial port as well as USB ports all are working just fine, some have XP on them and some do not have any OS.

I have these just for the radio people that need a more capable computer for older software.

Contact direct at cabletech03@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.