Pro-164: Not picking up trunked, no control channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenAnjel

I just bought another Pro 164 on Ebay. I have a Pro 164 for 3 or 4 years now. The tuning adjustment inside broke and I can't tune it anymore and I stopped receiving trunked transmissions.

I downloaded ARc300. Downloaded freq's from old Pro164 to Arc300. Added a few more frequencies. Uploaded file to new Pro164. Trunked STILL doesn't work. I don't get it.

The scanner is up to date w/ v 1.10. (old one only had 1.08 and didn't realize there was newer software).

All settings exactly the same. I even opened the trunking bank to pick up everything and still nothing. It seems I'm not picking up the control channel either. I'll recheck the trunk freq's to make sure none were added or something. Maybe this one is out of tune as well. I'm going to email the seller on ebay and ask him if the one freq. was the only thing he put in.

I'm going to play w/ this more in the morning, I"m tired so maybe I'm missing something.

does anyone else have any ideas?

thanks for the help.

R

retiredmich

On your Control Channel, hit PGM them GLOB, scroll down to Expert Settings to SHOW CC INFO,
Right Arrow & put YES & hit SAVE then Exit. This will activate your CC in you TG.

R

retiredmich

FallenAngel, Sorry I gave you the wrong info on the CC, I was thinking of a different scanner, Sorry

FallenAnjel

No worries retiredmich. I looked at the trunked freq's and found there were 22 and I only had 16. I added the extra frequencies, reuploaded and still nothing. Ugh.

FallenAnjel

well I can pick up some trunked transmissions when in manual mode. it's very fuzzy and sounds like it did when it went out of tune. I just don't understand this. does anyone else have a Pro-164 that stopped working? I have TWO of them and neither of them are trunking. I don't have $400 for a digital scanner, nor do I want to spend the time learning a digital scanner right now. (and Suffolk county police isn't even digital).

Problem is, I'm not picking up ANY trunked ID's. I have the bank open. I should be picking up every single trunked transmission in the vicinity.

Nothing (AFAIK) was ever changed in the old scanner. I've been using the same freq's for 3 years. I got a file from someone somewhere online.

Now that I remember, the second time I started losing trunked transmissions it happened the same way. the 7th precinct would start breaking up and cutting out. Then no trunked worked at all. But why the new one? Makes no sense.

I'm so frustrated.

captncarp

Pro-164 are notorieus for having there front end off freq. Hit the weather button and see if you get the weather broadcast. If not it is probably off freq. There is a response in Gre forumn with photos to show you how you can correct it being off freq.

Circa

On your trunked system, do you have any talkgroups programed in?

If not, try adding a Wildcard talkgroup.

If you can, upload a screenshot of your programing software's setup for the trunked system.

ansul1001

#1 Member
I just bought another Pro 164 on Ebay. I have a Pro 164 for 3 or 4 years now. The tuning adjustment inside broke and I can't tune it anymore and I stopped receiving trunked transmissions.

I downloaded ARc300. Downloaded freq's from old Pro164 to Arc300. Added a few more frequencies. Uploaded file to new Pro164. Trunked STILL doesn't work. I don't get it.

The scanner is up to date w/ v 1.10. (old one only had 1.08 and didn't realize there was newer software).

All settings exactly the same. I even opened the trunking bank to pick up everything and still nothing. It seems I'm not picking up the control channel either. I'll recheck the trunk freq's to make sure none were added or something. Maybe this one is out of tune as well. I'm going to email the seller on ebay and ask him if the one freq. was the only thing he put in.

I'm going to play w/ this more in the morning, I"m tired so maybe I'm missing something.

does anyone else have any ideas?

thanks for the help.
Have you tried the mode switch must be set at what ever you are listing to MOT ect. also make sure the scanner bank is set to open not closed trunk

medic215

Premium Subscriber
I am having the same issue. Conventional frequencies work fine, but will not trunk. It sometimes says it's trunking on Motorola bank, but I never hear anything on it. EDACs won't even say that it's trunking. I used 2 different sites with appropriate talkgroups. Used the software and cable to get LCNs and modes right, but nothing. RACOM Edacs locations used were Des Moines and Marshalltown. Motorola used is Westcom. Does anyone have any ideas?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-164

I am having the same issue. Conventional frequencies work fine, but will not trunk. It sometimes says it's trunking on Motorola bank, but I never hear anything on it. EDACs won't even say that it's trunking. I used 2 different sites with appropriate talkgroups. Used the software and cable to get LCNs and modes right, but nothing. RACOM Edacs locations used were Des Moines and Marshalltown. Motorola used is Westcom. Does anyone have any ideas?
What is the BANK set to? Sounds like you have the bank set to Conventional, rather than the type of trunk system in the bank. You'll need to use separate banks for EDACS and MOT systems.

DickH

Rebanding 15 mhz lower or maybe the went to p-25....

If you all had read the first line of his post you wouldn't be wasting your time trying this and that. He said "the tuning inside broke".
The PRO-164 is notorious for drifting off freq., then you need to adjust the freq. His adjustment (coil) has broken, so it will never work. Those things never "break" unless someone breaks them.

FallenAnjel

If you all had read the first line of his post you wouldn't be wasting your time trying this and that. He said "the tuning inside broke".
The PRO-164 is notorious for drifting off freq., then you need to adjust the freq. His adjustment (coil) has broken, so it will never work. Those things never "break" unless someone breaks them.

"Her" :p:cool::lol:

TLNixon

Premium Subscriber
OK so what coil do you adjust, and to what frequency if it's off-frequency. Someone mentioned the GRE page. Could I get the address for the page?

Status
Not open for further replies.