NM game and fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have noticed a increase of game and fish using state police local district channels in several different districts to go in service and out of service along with other uses. Typically I noticed now once in service they switch to the localized sheriff dispatch for license plate checks and running persons. Anyone else notice they dropped the old low band and independent frequencies they had?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed anything yet.

How are they identifying themselves? I've been told that the Motor Transportation Police are also using State Police frequencies, but if they're just coming in as numbered units, I may not be able to tell the difference.

-Johnnie

SCPD

QRT
Mtd always used sp freqs. Identified as Mary units. The game and fish use that game and fish following a 2 digit Id number. I know they use to mostly use sheriff channels around southern part of state but started noticing them using sp dispatch as primary but use sheriff channels still for license and checks. Mostly around dona ana, eddy, otero, chaves and lea. Of course it's rxing from a 110 watt astro. So I'm hearing more then what a scanner would.

Last edited:

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I'll keep my ears open.

Up north, in the Santa Fe area, I hear occasional Game and Fish traffic around 44 MHz. I don't recall hearing any MTD "Mary" units on other frequencies, but I may not have been paying close attention.

Many years ago (late sixties), I was a radio dispatcher for the MTD, and we used the State Highway Department radio system. It was a nice set-up with repeaters all over the state. When I first started (1968) on that job, the MTD and the highway department used "8" codes (e.g. "8-4" instead of "10-4"). It sounded strange, even to a young college student like myself, and they eventually adopted the standard 10 codes.

Thanks for the response!

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
The only time I've heard Game & Fish Officers is on their Car-to-Car freq. I've only heard traffic on the primary channel at 0800hrs and 1700hrs when the dispatcher signs on/off.

SCPD

QRT
Mtd always used sp freqs. Identified as Mary units. The game and fish use that game and fish following a 2 digit Id number. I know they use to mostly use sheriff channels around southern part of state but started noticing them using sp dispatch as primary but use sheriff channels still for license and checks. Mostly around dona ana, eddy, otero, chaves and lea. Of course it's rxing from a 110 watt astro. So I'm hearing more then what a scanner would.

I have a document and map dated November of 2013 that shows about 1/3 of the officers have 3 digit unit designators. The highest number at that time was 159. I think the numbers refer to an officers badge number. It has been so long since I left New Mexico, now 33 years, that I don't recall. However, I did work with their officers in the Magdalena area while I worked for the Cibola National Forest and seem to recall the badge number matching the radio call of the officer I worked with the most often.

The dispatching was done by some center in Santa Fe. I seem to remember that when I hiked with them they called Santa Fe to advise they would be away from their vehicle for a period of time. They only had one antenna on their pickups and it was a long whip. I could listen to many remote bases from my home, Datil, La Mosca, one near the southwest side of the Plains of San Augustine, Sandia Crest and some others I don't remember.

There were 60 total sworn officers in 11/2013, with 19 of those holding the ranks of Sergeant, Captain, Major and headed by a Colonel. I wonder how many dispatchers it takes to handle their traffic? I assumed that Game and Fish, State Parks and State Forestry were in the same center, but it was difficult to get information about other agencies at that time. Maybe they cut some positions in Santa Fe and only have enough to cover nighttime.

I remember the remote base transmitted on 44.800 and mobile units transmitted on 44.920. There were no repeaters.

Last edited:

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I hear Game & Fish all the time on Alamogordo SP and LC Sp. In ABQ not so much. As the the Motor units you hear them all the time everywhere as MARY units.

I have heard in the ABQ area Attack units? Is that a DWI unit? I am guessing.

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
A-Tactical Units

I think thats "Tact" units short for "Tactical team" NMSP calls their SWAT team the "Tact Team"

Status
Not open for further replies.