Dealing with abusive feed listeners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any policy or place to report abusive listeners? I am continuing to receive unnecessary emails from one particular listener. These emails are in response to my feed having poorer than usual quality and the loss of the police part of the feed, which I have since discovered is out of my control (there is no longer a VHF/UHF patch in place at the county level). Here is a copy of the latest email:

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL ***

User bgf (billgildow@hotmail.com) has reported a problem with your feed.

Feed Description: Grant County Police, Fire, and EMS
Problem: Other
Details: read your comment, I choose to not listen! Anyone as dumb as you should have their broadcast removed from the internet. I will buy my own scanner so I don't have to deal with idiots like you!

Last edited:

mikepdx

Is there any policy or place to report abusive listeners? I am continuing to receive unnecessary emails from one particular listener. These emails are in response to my feed having poorer than usual quality and the loss of the police part of the feed, which I have since discovered is out of my control (there is no longer a VHF/UHF patch in place at the county level). Here is a copy of the latest email:

uh...maybe just block the guy's email addy, suck-it-up and go on with life.

Know that the vast majority of us appreciate the feed providers like yourself.

There are a lot of 'big tough men' hiding behind their keyboards on the web.
Ignore the jerk.

frazpo

Sounds like it worked out ok in the end. I would reply back "Good, guess this is the last email I will receive from you"

However, I am on the side of providing a quality feed or no feed at all.

uh...maybe just block the guy's email addy, suck-it-up and go on with life.

Know that the vast majority of us appreciate the feed providers like yourself.

There are a lot of 'big tough men' hiding behind their keyboards on the web.
Ignore the jerk.

Good idea except that the emails are sent through broadcastify. I can't block them without blocking legitimate emails. It's not a big deal, just thought I'd ask in case Broadcastify was interested in how listeners were using their services.

Sounds like it worked out ok in the end. I would reply back "Good, guess this is the last email I will receive from you"

However, I am on the side of providing a quality feed or no feed at all.

Notice I said 'poorer than usual,' it is still very usable, I listen myself. It's just some people have come to expect crystal clear audio 100% of the time. As for replying I would rather not give the guy my email and there is no option to reply through broadcastify.

These are all good ideas but I have run through them myself. Hence the specific question I initially asked. Thanks for everyone's time.

DJ11DLN

God but that sucks. I don't use or provide a feed but as a VFF I surely know how it feels when somebody gripes about something you're doing that costs you time, effort, and $$$ and they get the benefit for free. Hopefully he'll follow through, get a scanner and quit harassing you. And as others have mentioned, there are a lot of real bad-***es on the far end of a fiber-optic line...they aren't so tough in person. Sounds like he's got something to prove, hopefully he'll forget himself and mouth off to the wrong person in a real-world setting, and maybe get a quick & dirty lesson in manners.:twisted:

kma371

QRT

What comment is he speaking of? If you are no longer broadcasting police maybe you can remove the word police from the title. Maybe that's what he's upset about ?

Seems unnecessary for him to contact you like that though

What comment is he speaking of? If you are no longer broadcasting police maybe you can remove the word police from the title. Maybe that's what he's upset about ?

Seems unnecessary for him to contact you like that though

After receiving earlier rude complaints from the same listener I updated the status message that instead of sending rude emails he was free to not listen, or something to that effect. I have had a status message that I am trying to sort out the audio issues for the last few weeks or so, ever since I moved.

I have emailed Radioreference/Broadcastify about renaming the feed - it is not something I am able to control.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Notice I said 'poorer than usual,' it is still very usable, I listen myself. It's just some people have come to expect crystal clear audio 100% of the time. As for replying I would rather not give the guy my email and there is no option to reply through broadcastify.

These are all good ideas but I have run through them myself. Hence the specific question I initially asked. Thanks for everyone's time.

I don't even get Crystal Clear 100% audio on my own scanners. You could always ask him for Financial help to buy new equipment so you can put out a better audio signal for him. LOL

SCPD

QRT
He should own his own scanner anyway and quit being cheap. Allot of idiots get on thinking if they pay a small premium it entitles them to flawless service. I heard someone getting similiar emails regarding priority channel. It seemed they wanted someone to stop the scanning at certain points to hold the one channel When they found it interesting. If they can't be happy they need to cough the cash and buy own. Most won't as they only listen when they see a fleet of fire trucks or patrol cars on the street they live on. Most wont as allot areas where the feeds broadcast are phase 1 and 2 now and thosr people wont spend above 20 dollars to hear let alone 500 for a modern scanner. There problem.

SCPD

QRT
I don't even get Crystal Clear 100% audio on my own scanners. You could always ask him for Financial help to buy new equipment so you can put out a better audio signal for him. LOL

Donations. Funny. A relative of mine said someone did that put a donation page to get a better scanner rather a 2 way which would "increase performance". After the guy hit the mark for his motorola 2 way the listeners and donators were hit with a pulled feed and nothing lol. It was a off site not broadcastify.

rbm

You just have to remember why you put your feed on in the first place.

I've only had one listener who was a CONSTANT complainer. (Years ago. Long before Broadcastify)

He had a problem with his computer and got angry (at me!) because he couldn't hear my feed.
I even offered to help fix his problem. But that didn't go over well.
He finally just went away.

It's like going to a bar for a 'quiet drink'.
Most people are good people, but there's always one looking for trouble.

You have to remember that there are a lot of 'good' listeners for every bad listener.
And ..... I like listening to my feeds too. ;)

Rich

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Donations. Funny. A relative of mine said someone did that put a donation page to get a better scanner rather a 2 way which would "increase performance". After the guy hit the mark for his motorola 2 way the listeners and donators were hit with a pulled feed and nothing lol. It was a off site not broadcastify.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that he do that. I do a feed and if I didn't want to keep it up then I'd just drop it. It isn't like I don't have other stuff that I could do. Currently I have 3 scanners and I think keeping one of them going for a feed is worthwhile, but I haven't had many complaints. Knock on wood.

richtidd

Database Admin

Best is to report these to us via the HELP tab of your feed page.
Send us what they are sending you so we can see the emails.
We have the ability to discuss it with them or ban them as we have done with some.

SCPD

QRT
I wasn't seriously suggesting that he do that. I do a feed and if I didn't want to keep it up then I'd just drop it. It isn't like I don't have other stuff that I could do. Currently I have 3 scanners and I think keeping one of them going for a feed is worthwhile, but I haven't had many complaints. Knock on wood.

To me doing this is a courtesy to others and they should appreciate it. Not sure if you get any perks besides premium membership or any other if you hit over x amount of listeners but if people complained I'd just drop the feeds. I'd like to see them complain to the local pd about simulcast issues. They won't like the response they'll get from that.

Eng3ineer

I've had a few that have giving me a hard time before cussing me and such, but I gave it right back and told them to pound sand... They didn't like that and kept on so I shut my PD only feeds down for a little over a week. ( these were only ones they kept emailing about)

I also put their nasty emails along with their email address on all of the local Facebook live breaking news groups and pages for my area and told them this why my feeds were taken off line and that I don't have time to put up with this kinda crap for something that I provide for free to community that cost me monthly to keep everything online and running. I had overwhelming response of support from everyone... And have to say it worked great and I haven't had any issues like this since.

Only issue that have now is what i'm thinking is an older person having some type computer or audio issues as him/her keep sending in no audio problem tickets. I had them report it three times over past couple days and twice yesterday when PD had a wanted fugitive car chase, foot chase and shots fired... Kicker is I was listening at the time along with hundreds of others and it was working great when they reported it both times. lol

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Just turn your feed off for a week saying you are working on the issue. Once they have scanner withdraws they will shut up about it. I have a facebook group with like 6000 people in it who think they own my scanner i've had to deal with this way. If RR.com wants to punish me for it by all means but I don't need to take the abuse from a bunch of facebook crazies.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Serves me right for putting up an LAPD feed.

Suddenly comes a flood of "problems" which consisted of "I WANT DA VALLEY - SCAN DA VALLEY!". Fortunately, I can see enough of the header in the notification to know if it is legit. Havng provided feeds off and on for ten years, I have learned to ignore them :)

77Impala

I provide my feed mainly for myself, my family and friends. All others are welcome to listen as well.

If someone has a true problem with audio, such as on their end I would not mind helping where possible.

But if they want to be a south end of a north bound mule then that is their problem and not mine. As already pointed out we are the ones paying for the equipment and utilities bills to keep these feeds active not the listeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.