BCD 536HP 1.06.10 P25 Audio Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Post your thoughts about P25 audio with the firmware update.

There is a noticeable improvement on several systems I listen to.

I would describe the audio as less muddy, with more highs and an increased level.

This makes the audio more intelligible IMHO.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
536 Audio Reports with new firmware

I too have noticed a significant improvement in both P25 audio quality and error rate performance. On most every P25 site I listen to including Phase I and Phase II systems, the improvement is very noticeable and welcomed. Distortion and popping are now almost entirely gone from the simulcast issues I had before. Thank you for this firmware fix in the auto threshold realm.

Mike

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
I too have noticed a significant improvement in both P25 audio quality and error rate performance. On most every P25 site I listen to including Phase I and Phase II systems, the improvement is very noticeable and welcomed. Distortion and popping are now almost entirely gone from the simulcast issues I had before. Thank you for this firmware fix in the auto threshold realm.

Mike

Do you have the P25 threshold set manually or automatic?
Have they fixed the P25 threshold problem?

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I used to have almost everything set to manual as the old auto setting did nothing in the way of auto threshold changes. Well, almost right away I noticed that the one system I had on auto was changing and adjusting much like the Homepatrols and my 996xt do. I then set everything to auto mode and lo and behold the thresholds auto adjust to almost perfect error rates. HUGE improvement. So to answer your question, yes, you have to go into sentinel and change any manual threshold settings to auto in order for this firmware upgrade to automatically adjust threshold settings.

Mike

scanboyca

Improved P25 Audio

IMHO the P25 phase 1 audio is much improved. Sounds way less muddy. I can now make out most transmissions. Listening to the scanner on my Toshiba Windows laptop using the "BCH536HP Audio Player" V 0.02 app sounds the best. This may be due to the laptop's lack of low end freq response (tiny speakers).

Good deal!

caldwest

I listen mainly to a P25 Phase I simulcast system and had pretty good reception with about 5% of the transmissions being 'scratchy' or a bit distorted. I upgraded to 1.06.10 yesterday. I believe the overall reception quality has improved and I have not heard a single scratchy or distorted transmission in the past 24 hours.

gspivey

My reception on my 536 on the NC statewide VIPER system was always good, but the 536 struggled with the local Winston-Salem city/county 800 system with significant error rates. After the update, I set the decode to auto and it adjusts on all systems and now the local system has great decode! Good job Uniden!

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the new firmware Friday. Noticed immediate improvment with the P25 Phase l & ll. Reception was good before the update, with intermediate slight reception problems. Now, I would say it's perfect!

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase II does sound better on the Camden County, NJ P25 Phase II system. Didn't really hear anything different on the analog NJSP system.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Better P25 decode quality in general with 536HP since this update. The analyze feature is nice too.
Now patiently waiting for a similar update for the 436HP.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I to am waiting for the 436 to get its update. Have you tried the lcn finder? I read on a few other boards that the feature was not working. I hope uniden is aware and fixes it before they release the 436 update...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I must be the exception to the rule. The system that I listen "seems" to be a little more choppy after the firmware update.

It is a P25 simulcast system.

I kind of hesitated to post something on this, but another local user has noticed the same thing.

The 536 I have in my truck hasn't had the firmware update and it "seems" to sound better than the house scanner with the update does.

kb8rvp

I must be the exception to the rule. The system that I listen "seems" to be a little more choppy after the firmware update.

It is a P25 simulcast system.

I kind of hesitated to post something on this, but another local user has noticed the same thing.

The 536 I have in my truck hasn't had the firmware update and it "seems" to sound better than the house scanner with the update does.

Did you set the P25 settings to auto?

Mike

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think I have it set as good as possible. Spent a lot of time trying just about every combination possible and have landed on Manual/7 with Site Attenuator On.

My sense is that Manual is a little better than Auto. If I had to guess, in Auto it starts trying to deal with bit error rate at a certain level. From there it tries to make it "even better" and goes from okay to worse and perhaps back. However transmissions are too short to land on something solid. Leaving it on Manual sems to work the best.

All in all, the 536 is much better at decoding the simulcast systems I've monitored than my x96 series scanners.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed any difference in the audio quality. I don't have any complaints about the audio quality either.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Connecticut State Police is marginal...now with the new firmware, I get more transmissions. Definitely an improvement

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Well. Seems like the P 25 auto adjust has been fixed. I set my 536 to P25 channel and went to the error screen. Low and behold the scanner adjusted its own threshold.

henrygb

Immediately I did the update, I noticed a large improvement in the tone of voice of local p25 system, is a great improvement. Thanks Uniden team

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
Yes, immediately noticed an audio/decoding improvement on all of the simulcast systems I monitor.

Very pleased!

wulf03

NC State Troopers crystal clear on 536. Best quality of any p25 I have picked up in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.