really newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmckenzie

Premium Subscriber
Good day to all,

I am not technically advanced at all and I purchased my first scanner a 2096 because everyone told me I could listen to encryption channels and it would unscramble them, I bought the software and subscription to RR found my county got it to load and everything in the PD bases scrambled I see in the description it says something about preject 25 and voice apco 25 if you need more info about anything I did just ask my county is Belmont Co in Ohio

Oh I also updated firmware to 1.4

Thank you so much in advance for your precious time. ..

Cheers

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Who told you it could unscramble encrypted channels ? The is no scanner made anywhere which will do that.

You probably should have asked the experts here before making your purchase. The 2096 is old technology and I think you would be happier with a newer scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Good day to all,

I am not technically advanced at all and I purchased my first scanner a 2096 because everyone told me I could listen to encryption channels and it would unscramble them, I bought the software and subscription to RR found my county got it to load and everything in the PD bases scrambled I see in the description it says something about preject 25 and voice apco 25 if you need more info about anything I did just ask my county is Belmont Co in Ohio

Oh I also updated firmware to 1.4

Thank you so much in advance for your precious time. ..

Cheers

There is no scanner on the market, nor is it likely there ever will be, that will monitor encrypted communications.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
All police in that county look to be encrypted. There are no scanners that can decrypt encrypted comms. Not now, not in the future. The reason to encrypt is to prevent folks with scanners from listening.

Fire and EMS appear to be digital only, and with a P25 capable scanner, you should be able to listen to them.

One issue you may run into is if the system uses LSM for simulcast. Search the forums and you will find lots of issues regarding the issues scanners have with LSM(Linear Simulcast Modulation)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bmckenzie

Premium Subscriber
Ok so those channels that are making the funny sounds the apco 25 doesn't allow you to listen to them?

teufler

no apco 25 is digital. 2096 is not a digital scanner. meaning it can not produce sound from a digital signal. Encrypted is a whole nother deal. No the effect of encryption is we can not listen, though its has a similar effect as to scrambling. Either form, its tough to make out what is being said. There are de-scramble units on the market that wire into scanner. The ad on device is pretty useless anymore as more departments have gone digital and hav e encryption available. Yourf scanner is working with analog signals. Digital scanner can work analog and digital. Departments going digital is similar to tv stations that went to digital. Analog worked but digital works, some say better.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You can discuss it as far as telling someone what the definition is as long as you are not trying to decode it. Many people new to the hobby are not knowledgeable or misinformed such as the OP in this case.

teufler

W8RMH, I think I talked in generalities about encryption. Descramblers were popular 30 to 40 years ago. I have one still wired into a Bearcat 101 scanner. Have not used in years , there used to be a small scanner that Alinco made, I think, that one of the mods was a green wire. Used to use down in Arkansas but I sold it to someone who wanted it. I don't think voice inversion scramblers are used much anymore. If we are posters on RR are not to talk about this sort of equipment, so be it. Scrambling a signal, to me is different than digital encryption.,

Status
Not open for further replies.