Question about 2m / 70cm simplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6RWY

Premium Subscriber
Hi, all. I’m a new Technician licensee. I’m curious about amateur radio usage in the Bay Area. From what I’ve seen (heard), most of the activity revolves around a small handful of VHF repeaters — N6NFI in the South Bay and either Mt. Diablo or one of the 2m repeaters in SF. Which is fine; from my usual haunts I can hit the N6NFI repeater with a low-powered HT if I felt compelled to join in. People there seem to know each other pretty well.

My questions are:

(1) Does anyone use the 2m simplex calling frequency (144.200) for anything anymore? Is it even worth monitoring in this area? Is the answer different while traveling, or does everybody just program their radios to scan the repeaters along the route?

(2) If a person wanted to try hilltopping with a mobile rig just to get some simplex QSOs for the heck of it, would 144.200 be the right frequency to do it? How about 446.000? Or is this pretty much a waste of time because in an urban area, repeaters are where it’s at?

I guess what I’m asking is: Is there such a thing as an active simplex frequency in VHF/UHF in the Bay Area?

Sorry if this comes off as a stupid question. I’m trying to get a feel for what people actually DO, as opposed to what’s possible. If the answer is that VHF and UHF is mostly repeater work in the Bay Area, and that people wanting simplex contacts upgrade to General and work HF, I’d prefer to know that rather than try a couple lonely months of calling CQ on a sparsely used frequency with limited range.

XTS3000

I always program my radios for both calling frequencies - mobiles and portables. This comes in handy when your driving and another ham operator pulls up next to you on the expressways or behind you while driving. I've made many contacts on the calling freqs over the years when another ham sees my ham antenna on the car. The calling frequencies are the only universal way to contact an unknown ham operator, assuming they are scanning or listening to the calling frequencies.

Simplex frequencies are usually a group of people who would rather use simplex vs repeaters when they are in close proximity. No need to tie up a repeater when your in simplex range.

Best bet is to listen to the simplex frequencies for a while. If you hear a group of people that you'd like to chat with, throw out your call sign. Keep in mind that some people use PL or DPL tones on simplex, so make sure you scan the PL tones just in case you need it to talk on simplex.

kma371

QRT
146.520 is the simplex calling frequency for VHF, not 144.200, unless you're talking about SSB which it doesn't sound like it.

Years ago, 146.550 was active with a large group of DXers, but I don't think it's as active as it was in the past.

Last edited:

Radiobern

Feed Provider
The simplex calling frequency for FM on 2M is 146.52 MHz. 144.2 MHz is for SSB calling. Check http://narcc.org/Rptr_Lists/2Mchart-20080107.pdf for 2M band plan details. For 70cm, the FM calling frequency is 446 MHz. Here's the 70cm band plan details: http://narcc.org/Rptr_Lists/70cmchart-20070507-1.pdf.

I honestly don't monitor the calling frequencies on a regular basis but that is not to say others aren't. However, I have heard transmissions on the calling frequencies from time to time.

To find all open repeaters in Northern CA, check out NARCC REPEATERS.

Maybe we'll catch each other on the air,
Bernard, K6KBL

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
144.200 is traditionally an SSB frequency. You'll likely hear more if you try 146.520, which is the "national" 2 meter FM calling channel. Unless you have the right radio (capable of SSB) and a really good antenna, you won't hear anything on 144.200 on a standard FM mobile radio.

It really depends on where you are. There are a lot of repeaters in the bay area and most amateurs gravitate towards those.
Honest truth is, I haven't used an amateur repeater in years. I usually just monitor 146.52 if I'm on the road on my own. If I'm around town, I use 146.415 to keep in touch with family.

Out on the highway, you'll hear a few people on simplex, but other than 146.52, I've never heard anything that's considered a standard.
A few years ago I was up along the north coast of Oregon and Washington and heard a guy mountain topping on 146.52.
Just did a trip to Las Vegas from the bay area and had 146.520 on all the way. Heard a few guys around Las Vegas, but the rest of the way was dead quiet.
About 5 years ago I was up in northern CA and heard a few guys in hang gliders on 146.415.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
I listen to 146.52 from my monitor post here in Fremont and also mobile. There is some activity on the channel. A mountain topper with either a mobile unit or a five watt HT calling CQ on a weekend morning will certainly get some QSOs in. Dont give up...keep calling CQ and someone will respond. Good luck.

KK6RWY

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the correction on the frequency — I have 146.520 programmed in my radios but I misread the ARRL website when drafting my post.

The scanning capabilities are limited with just Baofeng HTs— they’re just WAY too slow for that purpose. On a recent drive to Sacramento, I heard nothing on the calling frequency, so I began to wonder whether anyone used it when there’s a repeater nearby, which made me wonder whether simplex VHF is used much. I appreciate the guidance. I guess I should invest in a true mobile rig like one of the Yaesu models. I’m just worried that this will compel a cascade of hobby expenditures, I guess. :)

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
You've got a dual-band VHF/UHF radio with memories and scanning, right? Put both 146.520 and 446.000 (both FM simplex) in your scanned memories along with the other stuff you listen to. Scan... and assuming the repeater activity is not so great as to constantly stop the scanning... you'll hear activity on the simplex freqs. You just need to be patient... and have a good antenna.

bharvey2

I've tried calling out on both 2M and 7cm calling freqs in the Bay Area and have never made a contact unless it was pre-arranged. I also have them in my scan list on my mobiles. I've not heard much activity either route. It doesn't mean there isn't any though. Keep trying. Who knows, maybe we'll run in to each other on the air. With as many repeaters as are accessible within the Bay Area, I suspect most people spend their time on those.

bharvey2

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Give 146.415 a listen. The last few days I've been hearing fishermen on there, sounds like they are in Monterey Bay or slightly north up the coast. Never heard a call sign. Probably using it as their "secret" fishing channel.
Probably won't be able to hear them unless you got out on the coast.

bharvey2

I've headed to the local marina a few times to try simplex hoping to get a bit better range over the water. This might help me inside the Golden Gate but if the traffic on 146.415 is coastal, the hills along the peninsula might block the signal. Certainly worth a try though.

bharvey2

krokus

Premium Subscriber
When driving cross country, I have made contacts on 146.520. Since we were headed opposite directions on the expressway, we were only able to talk for a few minutes.

A few years back, while in the Detroit area, I heard a station come on frequency that was in a plane at 31000 feet, south of Lake Michigan. He was getting piled on, so my mobile had little chance to get through. It was still interesting to listen to.

Sent via Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've headed to the local marina a few times to try simplex hoping to get a bit better range over the water. This might help me inside the Golden Gate but if the traffic on 146.415 is coastal, the hills along the peninsula might block the signal. Certainly worth a try though.

bharvey2

Yeah, you'd need to get up on Skyline, at least.

Don't forget Field Day, I've heard a lot of simplex traffic on 146.52 that weekend.

bharvey2

When driving cross country, I have made contacts on 146.520. Since we were headed opposite directions on the expressway, we were only able to talk for a few minutes.

A few years back, while in the Detroit area, I heard a station come on frequency that was in a plane at 31000 feet, south of Lake Michigan. He was getting piled on, so my mobile had little chance to get through. It was still interesting to listen to.

Sent via Tapatalk

South of lake Michigan Hmm? I wonder of it was my nephew. He is a pilot and has his tech license. However, he is from south western Michigan. "greater metropolitan Dowagiac" as I like to kid my wife.

bharvey2

Status
Not open for further replies.