Ct State police/unidentifed carrier!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie_B

I am having a problem and hope it's a simple setting I am missing. It happens only on the CT State Police system. Sometimes my scanner will stop on one of the talkgroups and it will sound like a dead carrier on the talkgroup. I thought it was interference from something in my house but it happens when I take the scanner and drive around. It happens on both scanner's I have, Uniden 436 HP and BCD396XT. Now the signal is a dead carrier, and it actually shows the talk group ID for whatever talkgroup it stops on, but no one ever says anything about an open mic or anyone else hearing the carrier. Then someone from the talkgroup will eventually key up and then the carrier is gone. It happens on most of the dispatch talkgroups ie, troop a dispatch, troop b dispatch etc. Anyone have this problem, or know the cause?

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
i could be the Spring /Warm Weather mystery carrier. Happens every year about this time. Not just on that model. You can try fidgeting with your automatic settings which may or may not help. It will pass hopefully in short order. Happens every year. Not sure of the technical explanation but its a known problem every year.

I am having a problem and hope it's a simple setting I am missing. It happens only on the CT State Police system. Sometimes my scanner will stop on one of the talkgroups and it will sound like a dead carrier on the talkgroup. I thought it was interference from something in my house but it happens when I take the scanner and drive around. It happens on both scanner's I have, Uniden 436 HP and BCD396XT. Now the signal is a dead carrier, and it actually shows the talk group ID for whatever talkgroup it stops on, but no one ever says anything about an open mic or anyone else hearing the carrier. Then someone from the talkgroup will eventually key up and then the carrier is gone. It happens on most of the dispatch talkgroups ie, troop a dispatch, troop b dispatch etc. Anyone have this problem, or know the cause?

Freddie_B

it has been happening all winter, it's really strange. It doesn't happen on the other channels, just seems to be the dispatch channels. The scanner see's as a partial signal I guess because it has the talkgroup ID but my screen doesn't light up like it does when a normal signal comes on. Certain times of day it's better than others but at night time I end up turning off the state police all together. If I hit the hold button to stop it on that channel, the carrier instantly drops. That's why I think it's a setting or something stupid like that. Thanks for your reply though. I am hoping someone has an answer to this so I can listen to the state police like I like too.

ems170

Feed Provider
Make sure you have detect end code enabled. This will force the radio back to the control channel when the transmitting radio sends the end transmission signal vs waiting for the repeater carrier to drop. Should fix your problem. Enable digital and analog end code.

mrbun

We've been having the exact same problem here for about 5 weeks now. BCD396XT and BC796D. Only happens on Troop L site, not Bs.

I use Troop B site now almost exclusively because the open carrier is so annoying. Tried setting delay to -10 seconds and that kinda helped but missed out on the long stuff like BOLOs and chases; the good stuff.

Freddie_B

Make sure you have detect end code enabled. This will force the radio back to the control channel when the transmitting radio sends the end transmission signal vs waiting for the repeater carrier to drop. Should fix your problem. Enable digital and analog end code.

I think you have fixed my problem ems170, I checked the settings and it was only set to analog. So I changed it to analog and digital like you said and it has been working for an hour now. I will know by the end of the day if it was indeed the fix. Thanks so much for your help, this was making my scanning life miserable.

Freddie_B

ems170 I thank you so much, it has been all day long now, both scanners and no carrier problem. I hope this thread helps anyone else in the future.

ems170

Feed Provider
Glad it worked for you. That used to be an annoying problem until I enabled end code detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.