Salisbury University PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_preller

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if SUPD's Channels are accurate on the Wicomico County Public Safety System? I live here in Salisbury and I never pick them up.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if SUPD's Channels are accurate on the Wicomico County Public Safety System? I live here in Salisbury and I never pick them up.

I have no firsthand knowledge of the university's usage of Wicomico County's system, but if you have the university police TGs that are listed in the RRDB programmed into your scanner, yet don't hear any activity on them, I would surmise that the TGs in the RRDB are incorrect. You *could* run Unitrunker or similar program to discover what TG are active on the system and deduce what TGs that the university might be using. Alternatively, you could set your scanner to search IDs (rather than scan IDs), which forces the scanner to sample all TGs that it receives. Finally, you could search the FCC database for frequencies assigned to the university (or perhaps the UMD System - not sure what entity would be the licensee) - they might have their own system.

slapshot0017

Yea the Salisbury PD patch is wrong also... All I've ever heard on the county system was FD disp, sheriff and state PD... Never anything else on that system. Oh and ive seen Salisbury FD has the APX XE 7000 I assume because of their vhf patch. So they may even go to a new system, but that far fetched...

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I did a quick search on the FCC site last night. The university has a "Public Safety" license in the VHF band, so I doubt they have their own TRS like UMCP. If you live in the area, I'd go down to the campus and check out the antennas on the university police handhelds or vehicles to verify if they are VHF or 800 band sized. If they appear to be VHF, then I would *guess* that patch to the Wicomico County system is not full time, or perhaps the TG in the RRDB is outdated. If the antennas are 800 band, then the TG is almost certainly wrong, or maybe they are operating on the City of Salisbury system. It's not inconceivable that they would move to FiRST either...

slapshot0017

I thought it said that their vhf frequency is their student patrols freq... I was just in Salisbury and saw an SU police car didn't look at the antenna.

matt_preller

Premium Subscriber
I did a quick search on the FCC site last night. The university has a "Public Safety" license in the VHF band, so I doubt they have their own TRS like UMCP. If you live in the area, I'd go down to the campus and check out the antennas on the university police handhelds or vehicles to verify if they are VHF or 800 band sized. If they appear to be VHF, then I would *guess* that patch to the Wicomico County system is not full time, or perhaps the TG in the RRDB is outdated. If the antennas are 800 band, then the TG is almost certainly wrong, or maybe they are operating on the City of Salisbury system. It's not inconceivable that they would move to FiRST either...

I had looked up the FCC licenses previously and for all the ones labeled public safety I plugged them into my scanner as just conventional channels and picked up nothing over a 30 minute span.

While not for very long, I have scanned First, Wicomico and Salisbury on ID Search with my BCD436hp.

Since my Scanner has close call I was debating going up towards the police station with that feature turned on.

Also, what are the differences in a VHF antenna and 800mhz Antenna?

I saw that most of the FCC licenses have been issued or changed between 11/2014 and 1/2015, any chance those are indications of changes to their system?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I had looked up the FCC licenses previously and for all the ones labeled public safety I plugged them into my scanner as just conventional channels and picked up nothing over a 30 minute span.

While not for very long, I have scanned First, Wicomico and Salisbury on ID Search with my BCD436hp.

Since my Scanner has close call I was debating going up towards the police station with that feature turned on.

Also, what are the differences in a VHF antenna and 800mhz Antenna?

I saw that most of the FCC licenses have been issued or changed between 11/2014 and 1/2015, any chance those are indications of changes to their system?

They may not be a very busy department. OTOH, I bet they would be more active Thurs-Sat evenings 9p-2a, just saying'... Although straying close to overgeneralization, mobile antennas are 3-4" in height for 800, 17-18" for VHF. Portable radio antennas are about 6" and the width of your pinky for VHF, and 4"-6" and the width of a Bic pen or pencil for the 800 band.

Close Call would be a good idea.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
It might be that two of the nine listed on the DB page are leftovers or temporary frequencies used as voice channels for a time. It's been quite a while since I've seen that system updated or known someone to be paying close attention to it on here.

billn

SU-SALPD

FYi Salisbury University now utilizes a UHf Mototrbo Capacity Plus system. The Salisbury PD talkgroup is used for a backup when their system fails. Also the Salisbury Fire Apx radios are 6000XE's not dual band (VHf)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
In light of this new info, you can buy a cheap SDR dongle, Unitrunker and some other assorted software packages to monitor it. It takes a bit of patience setting it up, and you will also need a Windows computer, but apparently its doable.

troymail

Silent Key
It's interesting that Salisbury switched to TRBO just before the shore component of FiRST came online. I guess they hit some sort of deadline and had to do something. Still, interesting that they haven't come onto FiRST like UMES. Seems like to would have made more sense to jump on the Wicomico system for a short time rather than standing up a completely new/different system.

Out of curiosity, I just did a check and it looks like the State has more than 200 active FCC licenses... That's alot of things to consolidate at some point.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In light of this new info, you can buy a cheap SDR dongle, Unitrunker and some other assorted software packages to monitor it. It takes a bit of patience setting it up, and you will also need a Windows computer, but apparently its doable.

Not quite, I'm afraid. UniTrunker isn't set up to handle DMR Trunking - yet. You might be able to use DMRDecode to get the technical info on each slot in the frequency, but you won't be able to listen to it

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That is DMR conventional, not trunking. DMR Trunking is a whole 'nother ballgame. And that's not the current release, either...

The new version is 1.51 (point release, per the wiki) and evidently includes control channel decoding - so it's coming but evidently not quite there yet

Mike

Last edited:

emtLarmy15

It's interesting that Salisbury switched to TRBO just before the shore component of FiRST came online. I guess they hit some sort of deadline and had to do something. Still, interesting that they haven't come onto FiRST like UMES. Seems like to would have made more sense to jump on the Wicomico system for a short time rather than standing up a completely new/different system.

Out of curiosity, I just did a check and it looks like the State has more than 200 active FCC licenses... That's alot of things to consolidate at some point.

UMES on FiRST? Last I knew they still used Somerset EDACS and were patched to FiRST...

Status
Not open for further replies.