Saving in Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've made and loaded several Favorites Lists using ARC536. I then read the radio using Sentinel and do some minor edits that I can't do in ARC536. I'd like to save these in Sentinel, but can't seem to get that to work. I try to append them to existing FLs, but can't seem to do that.

Anyone have any hints?

TedRHayes

I've made and loaded several Favorites Lists using ARC536. I then read the radio using Sentinel and do some minor edits that I can't do in ARC536. I'd like to save these in Sentinel, but can't seem to get that to work. I try to append them to existing FLs, but can't seem to do that.

Anyone have any hints?

Assuming you uploaded your FLs to the scanner from ARC536, you need to read the FLs from the scanner in Sentinel. Your ARC536 changes should show up when you browse the FLs in Sentinel. After you make changes, you need to Write back to the scanner.

Unfortunately you cannot upload or download individual FLs from Sentinel, so you have to manage your work flow.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I know all of this, but I want to be able to save the FLs to my hard drive so I can bring them back up when I need them. I have three "personalities" for my x36HP scanners. That's just for when I'm home, if I travel, I set up area specific lists, which I also want to save.

I just can't figure out how to save.

Assuming you uploaded your FLs to the scanner from ARC536, you need to read the FLs from the scanner in Sentinel. Your ARC536 changes should show up when you browse the FLs in Sentinel. After you make changes, you need to Write back to the scanner.

Unfortunately you cannot upload or download individual FLs from Sentinel, so you have to manage your work flow.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You can export as hpe. and delete in Sentinel - but seems like a needless hassle.

I'm assuming you want to be able to just "see" the ones for different areas and not all. AFAIK - you can't in Sentinel. You can assign different FL to different profiles and use that to load them to the scanner.

I know all of this, but I want to be able to save the FLs to my hard drive so I can bring them back up when I need them. I have three "personalities" for my x36HP scanners. That's just for when I'm home, if I travel, I set up area specific lists, which I also want to save.

TedRHayes

You can create separate Profiles for each "personality". Each profile identifies FLs which are loaded to the scanner in a Write (and which will be active). Sentinel maintains one directory (typically \MyDocuments\Uniden\BCDx36HP\FavoriteLists ) with all the FLs in its database that are used by all profiles, but I would not recommend you mess with the contents of that directory.

It's not a bad idea, as recommended, to save FLs as hpe files into a directory of your own choosing and control. You can then reload as needed.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Favorite lists are saved when you exit from editing them, unless you say no to the prompt.
If you're "editing" them from the main Sentinel window instead of within the FL editor, it's saved when you save the profile, or when you exit the program (either or both).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

Anyone have any hints?

I've done this numerous times. I'll make changes in ARC, then write them to the scanner in ARC.

After closing down ARC, I start Sentinel and do a Read from Scanner. I'll get a message box that says "XXX Favorites List different on PC" and am asked if I want to Copy & Replace on PC, Copy with New Name or Skip. I choose Copy & Replace.

Conversely if I make changes in Sentinel, I'll do a read with ARC and save the files.

I concur with the separate Profiles for traveling purposes, as I've also done that. I've got three basic profiles - Home, Travel and Destination. I put each profile on its own separate SD card. When I leave, I take the "home" card out and put in the "travel" card. Upon arrival, I'll put in the "destination" card. Seems to work okay for me.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Favorite lists are saved when you exit from editing them, unless you say no to the prompt.
If you're "editing" them from the main Sentinel window instead of within the FL editor, it's saved when you save the profile, or when you exit the program (either or both).

Which leaves me with two questions. First, where are they saved? Second, how do I retrieve them?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Which leaves me with two questions. First, where are they saved? Second, how do I retrieve them?

They're stored in the "FavoriteLists" folder under the "BCDx36HP" folder, in the location specified by the "Sentinel Folder' option in Sentinel's "Tools>Options" submenu.

As for retrieving them, they're all in that folder. If you're trying to write them to the scanner, just do it normally. If you intend to send them to another software package, you can either just copy the files from this folder to whereever your other software package needs them, or do "File>Export to HPE" and export the file, then move it from whereever you saved it, to whereever the other package will import from.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
They're stored in the "FavoriteLists" folder under the "BCDx36HP" folder, in the location specified by the "Sentinel Folder' option in Sentinel's "Tools>Options" submenu.

As for retrieving them, they're all in that folder. If you're trying to write them to the scanner, just do it normally. If you intend to send them to another software package, you can either just copy the files from this folder to whereever your other software package needs them, or do "File>Export to HPE" and export the file, then move it from whereever you saved it, to whereever the other package will import from.

What program(s) besides Sentinel can import HPE files?

Just curious. It could be very useful.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If he is wanting to pass data between ARC and Sentinel, the only way of doing this is a write/read process.

ARC does not have HPE file import capability.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I was presuming that ARC allows it, but ofd states otherwise.

I wouldn't know, because I don't use anything else - IMO Sentinel's all you need.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't know, because I don't use anything else - IMO Sentinel's all you need.

I agree. I find it rather bare bones, and a bit clunky, but you can get everything done in it you need. But geesh, how about letting me select a whole Deartment's worth of channels, and then let me apply the same delay time to all of them, or the same alert, or the same modulation. Can't be that hard to add that ability. Having to change these kinds of parameters for each channel individually is a royal time waster.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I agree. I find it rather bare bones, and a bit clunky, but you can get everything done in it you need. But geesh, how about letting me select a whole Deartment's worth of channels, and then let me apply the same delay time to all of them, or the same alert, or the same modulation. Can't be that hard to add that ability. Having to change these kinds of parameters for each channel individually is a royal time waster.

In the FL editor (the 'star with pencil' icon, or Ctrl+2, from the main Sentinel screen), highlight a field and Ctrl+C to copy it, then mark the fields you want to copy that into the same way you would in, say, Excel, and then Ctrl+V to paste.

I set all my FLs' channels' delay to 5 this way. Works with multi-data-item fields too like alert light/tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.