Hello world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airspy-US

Hello world!

USA buyers now have a local source for Airspy products... Airspy.US

br0adband

Congrats on becoming the US distributor - now the important question: will be you be providing support here at RR just in case users might need it, or will there be some other form of online support at your website? Seems logical to keep tabs on this website, especially this sub-forum as it's geared to SDR exclusively... sure as hell can't hurt.

Now if I can just scrape up enough to actually buy an Airspy I'd be getting someplace. :D

Airspy-US

Thank you. We will be providing support as far as our sales go, but will likely handle such requests off the public forum unless the issue interests many people. Technical support will still be handled by Youssef on the forum on Airspy.com and elsewhere. We saw no value in a duplicate forum and have no plans to duplicate it. We do have a group on YahooGroups as well, but will of course keep an eye on the SDR forum here. That's one reason for our post here which represents our formal 'hello' to the RR community and the world. We chose RR as our virtual birthplace.

Additional details can be found on our website at a Airspy.US

br0adband

Nice to see. Looking forward to the Airspy-Lite. My 1st release Airspy continues to work just dandy.

Well, I did as much searching around as I could using three search engines and I hit all my Yahoo Groups as well and even the Airspy forums but I can't find pretty much anything about this "Airspy-Lite" thingamajigwhatchamacallit or whatever... got some more info I'd find useful? :D

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Well, I did as much searching around as I could using three search engines and I hit all my Yahoo Groups as well and even the Airspy forums but I can't find pretty much anything about this "Airspy-Lite" thingamajigwhatchamacallit or whatever... got some more info I'd find useful? :D

There have been references to it by the manufacturer in the Airspy Yahoogroup. It will be in "dongle" form and have 6 MHz of bandwidth available instead of the 10 Airspy has. Unknown availability date, and the original estimated price was as I recall about $100. Hopefully the distributor may have more info.

Airspy-US

Scancapecod said about everything that is publicly known.
The Spyverter will be the next release - an HF upconverter.
Airspy Lite will be after that. We are expecting Spyverter to
be released around the end of May (subject to change).

Airspy-US

A little teaser about the Airspy lite: https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/airspy/conversations/messages/1549

Is there an european distributor on the way, too?

There is a distributor for Europe coming. They may still be in contract negotiations.

We will be the only distributor for the USA and Canada for the foreseeable future. Of course Itead/Imall can sell worldwide but our expedited shipping will be more than $10 lower than theirs for 1-3 day delivery in the USA. Unfortunately the Canadian rates are higher than the USA by about double. Our shipments are also fully insured.

Our stock in expected Monday with shipping starting Tuesday unless it comes early enough on Monday to allow shipment on Monday. We also sell accessories for use with Airspy receivers. Nearly all current accessories are in stock.

As we say on the website, if you have an idea for another accessory to carry, please let us know. We are considering antennas, but there are so many it would be difficult to carry enough to satisfy all uses. It would also disturb our current policy that any accessories ship for free with purchase of an SDR since antenna shipping can vary widely. But, we want to know what you want.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
So anyone who wants to read about this has to have/create a Yahoo account - brilliant marketing...

I believe that the post they made was just to gauge interest among current users. I don't speak for them but it sounded to me like it was something that might be considerably down the road.

That said, the concept is interesting and it would be a consideration for me for portable use.

br0adband

So anyone who wants to read about this has to have/create a Yahoo account - brilliant marketing...

Hence me asking about them potentially using this sub-forum as a way to provide support, or obviously they could create a forum at the Airspy.us website as well - it takes like 10 mins to start a forum these days with some software, shouldn't be an issue but it should be something they do instead of just pointing people towards Yahoo Groups, that much I would definitely concur with.

And it's not because of the registration issue (at least not for me since I've had a Yahoo account for nearly 20 years now), it's simply and straight out because Yahoo Groups sucks. :D A proper forum is infinitely more useful and far less cumbersome to deal with in terms of posts, threads, and other requirements.

But that's just me and my opinions I suppose.

Thanks for the still rather limited info on the Airspy-Lite. A 6 MHz window would definitely be a nice improvement but I'd figure they're still going to charge a significant bump up from the typical RTL stick range of pricing ($10-40 these days) so, I'd most likely end up shooting for the Airspy as I've mentioned in the past because several systems here in the Las Vegas area spread their frequencies across a nearly 10 MHz wide swath of frequencies, most notably that S.N.A.C.C. system which covers 851 to 861 MHz and is the primary thing I like to monitor overall.

We'll see how it goes...

Flatliner

There is a distributor for Europe coming. They may still be in contract negotiations.

We will be the only distributor for the USA and Canada for the foreseeable future. Of course Itead/Imall can sell worldwide but our expedited shipping will be more than $10 lower than theirs for 1-3 day delivery in the USA. Unfortunately the Canadian rates are higher than the USA by about double. Our shipments are also fully insured. blah blah blah....

Maybe it's about time the Airspy businesses buy advertising space on RadioReference. This is beginning to look like they're shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited:

Airspy-US

When details are released about the Airspy Lite, we will post details on our website. If desired, we can post details on this forum, too. As mentioned in our second post, we have no plans to create a duplicate forum. The forum at Airspy.com is where we will provide support as well as this forum. Adding additional forums will only fragment the user base and make information harder to find.

The post on YahooGroups was to gauge interest among Airspy users, and we believe it was appropriate for what it was. It was never intended to be a product announcement. The details scancapecod posted are the details posted in that message, so there is no need to create a Yahoo account. Of course, if you are interested in joining that discussion anyone is welcome who has an interest in Airspy products or information.

As for advertising on RadioReference, we would be interested, but our profit margin is razor thin and selling on some of the popular venues costs more than we make. If the rates are low enough, we may advertise here. Thank you for asking. One factor is that we see RadioReference as a worldwide forum, and we are restricted to sales in the USA and Canada only. As such, we would be targeting a much wider audience than we can support. For example, as you are in the UK, we cannot sell to you. But, there will soon be a local distributor for your area. Still, please do send us information on advertising rates for RadioReference.

Voyager

Per the website, the S/H is $12.50 for a receiver.

USPS Priority Mail small box = $5.75 (or more)
Insurance for $200 = $5.50
(both per the USPS website)

That's 11.25 which leaves $1.25 for 'handling' (packing labor, packing materials, and perhaps even transportation to the post office). Yea, that's a real scalping there - making maybe a quarter or two. The audacity! :D

I purchased one from iMall last year. Expedited S/H was about $24. I wish I had the $12.50 option.

thegriff

Premium Subscriber
I hadn't considered insurance as it's not something I'd purchase were I selling this type of product. If indeed part of that $12 goes to insurance then the charge is more understandable.

I'm particularly sensitive these days to companies pricing products at close to cost and then making their money on "shipping". Perhaps I was too quick to assume this is what they're doing.

Voyager

Per the website: "Your package is tracked and fully insured."

Tracking is standard on Priority Mail these days.
Insurance is too, but only up to $50. Extra costs more (what I posted above).

Status
Not open for further replies.