Pro-668: Pro=668 transferring files from one PC to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

Last night I put together a new set up for my Pro-668, the problem is I did this on a windows 8.1 PC, and I need to move the files over to a windows 7 PC, so I can update my scanner. In the Radio Shack folder on my computer what files should I look for? With this information I will be able to move the files to the other computer. Thank you.

TAbirdman

install iScan on the win7 machine, connect the 668 and upload from the scanner to the iScan: done

baybum

I'm not sitting in front of it right now but...I believe under the file tab, save as archive. Save the CDAT.zip file to a directory or your desktop.
Then, email it to yourself, (or save it in your draft folder), retrieve it on on the Win 7, save it where you want it, then open it, then copy it to the scanner.
You could also save the CDAT file to a thumb-drive and transfer it from one PC to another.

GrumpyGuard

I'm not sitting in front of it right now but...I believe under the file tab, save as archive. Save the CDAT.zip file to a directory or your desktop.
Then, email it to yourself, (or save it in your draft folder), retrieve it on on the Win 7, save it where you want it, then open it, then copy it to the scanner.
You could also save the CDAT file to a thumb-drive and transfer it from one PC to another.

I tried to save an archive, but the save as window did not open. I was wondering if the file save automatically.

scosgt

Just copy all the CDAT files onto a flash drive, or simply mail them to yourself as an attachment.

But the Captain Obvious way is the most simple and direct.

baybum

You should be getting a "save as". If I remember correctly. In fact that's how I gave mine their own custom names.
I'll have to verify later when I get home.

GrumpyGuard

Just copy all the CDAT files onto a flash drive, or simply mail them to yourself as an attachment.

But the Captain Obvious way is the most simple and direct.

Yes it is the most simple direct way if I could get the computer to recognize the radio. I have followed the instructions from Whistler but when I hit step 7 the computer locks up and I have to put in a code from Microsoft to unlock the computer, and then I have to start the process over and the cycle keeps repeating itself.

mikey60

Look in your My Documents (or Documents) folder for the PRO-668 Digital folder. In that folder there will be a CDAT folder and possibly some CDAT_VS.### folders. Copy those to the other computer or pull the Micro-SD card out of the scanner and copy them there.

Mike

GrumpyGuard

Look in your My Documents (or Documents) folder for the PRO-668 Digital folder. In that folder there will be a CDAT folder and possibly some CDAT_VS.### folders. Copy those to the other computer or pull the Micro-SD card out of the scanner and copy them there.

Mike
Mike thank you. I found those files and will move them over.

marksmith

If your system locks up trying to connect to the radio I'm not sure I understand why we're trying to get the files there. Not only is the captain obvious way the best, but you need to get to that point anyway or you won't be able to use the files once you move them there.

Seems I would be concentrating on that issue because it solves both problems.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

GrumpyGuard

If your system locks up trying to connect to the radio I'm not sure I understand why we're trying to get the files there. Not only is the captain obvious way the best, but you need to get to that point anyway or you won't be able to use the files once you move them there.

Seems I would be concentrating on that issue because it solves both problems.

Mark
The computer does not lock up when connecting the scanner. The system locks up when attempting to load the driver for the scanner so the computer will recognize the scanner. When I moved the folders over to the windows 7 machine it updated the scanner and I don't have to duplicate a couple of hours work.

If you got it to work on windows 8.1, windows 7 is a breeze by comparison.
I am unable to get the program to connect to the scanner in windows 8.

Thank you everyone for your assistance.

nutrot

I am confused. First post says your going from windows 8.1 to 7

Now you cant connect on your windows 8 machine? Which way are you trying to go?

Last edited:

sigint1

Was: joking
On your 8.1 machine have you tried rebooting 8.1 in the "disable signed driver verification mode" - I am running iscan on 8.1 and once I disabled driver verification it allowed iscan to recognize the scanner and I have no problems communicating with the scanner

marksmith

I think I understand now. Not sure. Couldn't make it work on 8.1 because it locks up on the driver install. Had created the data and scanlists/play lists in 8.1. Never got them to the scanner. Now fully installed on 7 but the file work is all over in 8.1.

You should be able to just copy the CDAT folder/files from old computer to new at same location and then restart iScan in 7 and see your files. Then hook up the radio, download to radio and good to go. Hopefully I interpreted the issue correctly.

Mark

Blackswan73

You all are going about this the hard way. According to the OP, he created the new setup on his 8.1 machine, therefore, he obviously already has Iscan running on that machine. The easiest way to transfer the new setup to his scanner, is to power off his scanner, and I personally also remove the batteries as well, just to be sure, then remove the SD card and put the card in the 8.1 machine. Open Iscan and write the new setup to the card. Eject the card when the write is done and reinstall card in the scanner. Reinsert the batteries and enjoy.

sigint1

Was: joking

He stated he could not get the iscan to connect to the scanner in Windows 8 - I had same problem until I disabled driver verification which allowed the drivers for iscan to load - was just suggesting that option so he could run on windows 8.1

GrumpyGuard

I think I understand now. Not sure. Couldn't make it work on 8.1 because it locks up on the driver install. Had created the data and scanlists/play lists in 8.1. Never got them to the scanner. Now fully installed on 7 but the file work is all over in 8.1.

You should be able to just copy the CDAT folder/files from old computer to new at same location and then restart iScan in 7 and see your files. Then hook up the radio, download to radio and good to go. Hopefully I interpreted the issue correctly.

Mark

Mark, you got the problem right on the money. Once Mikey60 told me where to look and what folder needed to be moved I was able to get the information over to the windows 7 computer and now things are working well.

I am confused. First post says your going from windows 8.1 to 7

Now you cant connect on your windows 8 machine? Which way are you trying to go?
I downloaded the software onto my windows 8.1 before my radio arrived in the mail. I put together the scanner the way I wanted and when I attached the radio the driver would not load. When I installed on the windows 7 machine everything worked well. I just needed to get the information on what file or folder that needed to be moved.

On your 8.1 machine have you tried rebooting 8.1 in the "disable signed driver verification mode" - I am running iscan on 8.1 and once I disabled driver verification it allowed iscan to recognize the scanner and I have no problems communicating with the scanner
Yes, I went to the Whistler Group site and printed out the instructions. When I get to step 7
1.) When you are signed in to Windows 8 / 8.1 as Administrator connect the WS1080. It will then attempt to load the driver and appear to succeed but the driver will not be working at that point. Even though the serial driver is not correctly installed you will still see the scanner’s MicroSD card.

2.) Copy the INF folder from the WS1080 to a folder on your computer

3.) In Windows 8.0 While on the start load the Charms Bar by pointing the mouse at the upper right hand corner of the screen.

4.) Select Power and hit restart while holding down the Shift key.

5.) A selection of Troubleshooting options will come up, select the Troubleshoot option

6.) Another page will appear, select Advanced Options.

7.) The next page will display several repair options, Select the Startup Settings to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart on the next page.
the computer locks up and I have to enter a code from Microsoft to unlock the computer. I also followed the instructions to put the computer in admin mode prior to following the instructions from Whistler. I also attempted with out placing the computer in admin mode and nothing will allow me to to install the unsigned driver. This will be the next issue to tackle.

You all are going about this the hard way. According to the OP, he created the new setup on his 8.1 machine, therefore, he obviously already has Iscan running on that machine. The easiest way to transfer the new setup to his scanner, is to power off his scanner, and I personally also remove the batteries as well, just to be sure, then remove the SD card and put the card in the 8.1 machine. Open Iscan and write the new setup to the card. Eject the card when the write is done and reinstall card in the scanner. Reinsert the batteries and enjoy.

Yes this would be the easiest way, but I did not know what files or folders needed to be moved, as that was part of my original question. After I moved the folders over to the windows 7 machine I did the smack to the forehead and thought I could have just replaced the CDAT and CDAT_VS.XX folders onto the SD card. Lets face it tunnel vision gets us sometimes and we miss the obvious, that is why groups such as Radioreference are so important.

Again thank you to everyone that gave suggestions, input and assistance, as I could not have done it without you.

Status
Not open for further replies.