Pirate Radio Station Shut Down By FCC In Linden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art112

Pirate Station Elizabeth Area

While in the car I was listening to 101.5 and was hearing adjacent interference on 101.5. Located signal near 101.3 what sounded like a haitian/ french station in Roselle near the Elizabeth line. The station became stronger as I drove down East first ave. LP fm list shows no assigned licenses for that freq. Anyone else in the area have any info on it. Thanks. Art K2ADC.

Art112

I was able to tune the station in at 101.4 last night. The signal was strong in the Warnaico Park area.The announcer was giving out a phone number in french and was getting phone calls from the linden Elizabeth and Roselle areas. He wouldnt put the calls on the air but mentioned the names of the callers on air. As of 1:00 PM today he is off the air. Also his dog was barking during broadcasting.

Compact, low power transmitters capable of transmitting on the FM broadcast band have been readily available for a number of years via several internet based businesses.

If you check the FCC's Enforcement Division reports regularly, you'll no doubt note that much of their time is spent chasing individuals like the guy you heard. You will also note that fines are very stillf should they be caught.

EB - Field Actions 2015

ansky

Pretty much every open FM frequency in the Newark area has some type of pirate radio broadcast.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I scan the FM dial regularly for these types of stations. I'm to far out away from the city areas to hear anything. There were at least 4 FM stations a few years ago operating in the Camden city area. One of them I could here from Medford. I haven't heard them on the air lately. For obvious reasons these stations keep a tight and random broadcast schedule.

My understanding is that the direction finding equipment currently utilized by the FCC can pinpoint these stations in less than 60 seconds if they can be heard at the monitoring site.

Most often, they are not bothered unless a licensed broadcast station complains, or if they're causing interference to a public safety, US Government, Marine, or aircraft station.

In the past I've noticed them going right to the person transmitting, now they're making it easy on themselves and going after the property owner of buildings at which the equipment is found.

Art112

Contacted WKXW in trenton. They have had numerous complaints and are on it with the right people. Thanks for the input. I was aware of the availability of LP FM equipment I was curious if any one else was hearing them. Thanks again. Art

Moose

I believe this is the same station that was transmitting several weeks ago on 95.3. I was listening to 95.5 in the Union 5 Points area and hearing a lot of static so I tuned down and heard a Haitian man speaking on 95.3. It was loud and a little distorted. I was able to hear him in Roselle Park near Faitoute and Westfield Aves. and all the way into Hillside on Liberty Ave. I sent in an intereference report to the FCC but it was dismissed within two days. Their excuse was the station being interfered with needs to do the reporting. This sounds like a pirate station, not a low-power broadcaster.

Art112

It's a Pirate station. He is back on the air Today. Once again thanks for the input guys Art. K2ADC

BillMcE

I believe this is the same station that was transmitting several weeks ago on 95.3. I was listening to 95.5 in the Union 5 Points area and hearing a lot of static so I tuned down and heard a Haitian man speaking on 95.3. It was loud and a little distorted. I was able to hear him in Roselle Park near Faitoute and Westfield Aves. and all the way into Hillside on Liberty Ave. I sent in an intereference report to the FCC but it was dismissed within two days. Their excuse was the station being interfered with needs to do the reporting. This sounds like a pirate station, not a low-power broadcaster.

Perhaps he's in the parking lot of the Galloping Hill Inn, eating a heebada, heebada, hamburger.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Contacted WKXW in trenton. They have had numerous complaints and are on it with the right people. Thanks for the input. I was aware of the availability of LP FM equipment I was curious if any one else was hearing them. Thanks again. Art

So you ratted them out. :confused::(:roll:

rr60

Premium Subscriber

I have listened to 95.3 for at least 2 years. Most often signal was best intersection of GSP and RT78.

Have not tuned it lately.

Analogrules

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was already a thread on this. I just posted a new thread with a link. The FCC and Linden PD shut it down today. I wonder if the FCC uses a radio frequency to coordinate? Probably encrypted would be my guess.

Art112

Fcc wasn't involved. According to a 4 00pm announcement on 101.5 Linden PD used building codes violations and unauthorized radio stations are now a 4th degree crime in NJ. A pic of the house showed a vertical dipole on the roof.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Fcc wasn't involved. According to a 4 00pm announcement on 101.5 Linden PD used building codes violations and unauthorized radio stations are now a 4th degree crime in NJ. A pic of the house showed a vertical dipole on the roof.

Here is a link to an article that has much more detail.

Linden pulls plug on pirate radio station, cops say | NJ.com

Interesting approach. Totally different legal case. No proof station was transmitting.Likely result,a slap on wrist by Municipal Judge for zoning infraction (and who is to say a business was being run).FCC budget must be same as IRS.

Moose

Just wondering about the comment in the article ".... and having an illegal structure on the roof, the radio antenna, which towered 20 feet above the roof." Looking at the picture in the article the antenna doesn't appear to be any higher than CB antennas were back in the day. Anyone have any comment on this?

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I know that there are pirate stations all over the Newark area. The FAA has ongoing problems with RFI up in that area.

ansky

In this particular case the pirate was operating on the exact frequency of a commercial radio station. Most pirates are on adjacent frequencies and don't cause enough interference for people to actually file a complaint. It's a lost cause chasing the pirates in Newark. That PD is short staffed and can barely handle the more serious crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.