Yellowstone National Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Could someone tell me the updated frequencies for Yellowstone National Park? My family will be visiting there this coming up May and would like to listening to the local government such as Yellowstone National Park, Police/Sheriff, Fire/EMS and Federal. Not sure what county Yellowstone and yes I searched Google.

QDP2012

Could someone tell me the updated frequencies for Yellowstone National Park? My family will be visiting there this coming up May and would like to listening to the local government such as Yellowstone National Park, Police/Sheriff, Fire/EMS and Federal. Not sure what county Yellowstone and yes I searched Google.

I'm not sure if your request for the "updated" frequencies implies that the ones in the RRDB and RR Wiki are outdated, or not. In case they are still valid, here are some suggestions on how to find them:

You can also search RadioReference by entering the word "Yellowstone" (without quotes) into the little search box in the upper-right corner of any RadioReference page. Some of those results include:

You can also search the RRDB at the state-level, like searching Montana in this way:
  • On the RRDB: Montana page, look just above the map, and notice the row of tabs. The "State Home" tab is active.
  • Click on the "Search" tab.
  • In the far-right search-box "Search Montana FCC Licensees", search for "Yellowstone" (without quotes).
  • The results will include any licensee in Montana that has "Yellowstone" in its name. Some of these likely will not be of interest, but some probably will.

In the RRDB, you can also find Yellowstone related information:
  • on the county-pages for several of the counties listed at the link in KB7MIB's post, and
  • on the Wyoming Federal, and Montana Federal, pages, and maybe some of the Idaho pages.
  • You can use your browswer's "Ctrl-F" (find) feature to more-easily find the word "Yellowstone" on your current page. This is particularly useful if you navigated to a long RRDB page.

Hope this helps,

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I programmed the frequencies for Yellowstone National Park and also the local Police/Fire & EMS. Is it worth programming the Military AIR frequencies in?

kf7yn

There is quite a bit of Civilian Air traffic but I don't recall hearing much Military Air except when dignitaries visit the park. Part of the reason is the mountainous topography, the sheer size of Yellowstone and it is a long way from military air fields.

Mostly what you will hear on VHF air will be Medical and Government helos and Fire Fighting aircraft during fire season. Since Yellowstone is in Teton and Park Counties, you will also want to program freqs for Jackson Hole and Cody when you are outside the park but within the park, law enforcement comms are Federal. Technically, part of Yellowstone is also in Idaho and Montana as well. I listen to West Yellowstone City and Gallatin County SO when I'm coming through the West Gate. The small portion in Idaho is Fremont County. Hope that helps. West Yellowstone PD dispatch is encrypted but car to car isn't, last time I was there last summer.

shglad

Premium Subscriber
I listened to West Yellowstone Police Dispatch all last summer on 151.0850, CTCSS 192.8. It was not encrypted.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Thanks guys for the help! I programmed my scanner can't wait to go to celebrate my mothers cancer survival! She beat Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.

SCPD

QRT
I have some information that the frequency of one of the repeaters has changed and it or another repeater has been relocated. I also have information regarding some changes in the ranger district organization information shown on the RR Wiki page. Due to some health problems I am very fatigued and have not had the get up and go to take on many tasks. I will try to edit the wiki and make a database submission.

All the roads in the park are now open with the exception of the road from Old Faithful to West Thumb; and the road north from Tower Fall to Canyon Junction.

QDP2012

I have some information that the frequency of one of the repeaters has changed and it or another repeater has been relocated. I also have information regarding some changes in the ranger district organization information shown on the RR Wiki page. Due to some health problems I am very fatigued and have not had the get up and go to take on many tasks. I will try to edit the wiki and make a database submission.

All the roads in the park are now open with the exception of the road from Old Faithful to West Thumb; and the road north from Tower Fall to Canyon Junction.

Exsmokey,

I hope you return to full health soon. If you want some help with the labor of getting your new information into the Wiki, send me a PM, I might be able to help with that.

Get well soon,

SCPD

QRT
Thanks guys for the help! I programmed my scanner can't wait to go to celebrate my mothers cancer survival! She beat Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.

Congratulations to your mother! I had one surgery for "The Big C" and may have another cancerous tumor in an unrelated part of the body. That "mass" is not growing, but its cell type is yet unknown. I had a trauma in the late 80's that is now causing a slow deterioration in cognitive functioning.

“Growing old isn't for sissies” Bette Davis

There haven''t been any changes to the four nets at Yellowstone NP. Those nets are the North, Lamar, West and South. The change to the Lamar Net is the relocation of its repeater to Druid Peak, located north of the Gardiner to Cooke City road, west of Trout Lake and adjacent to the Lamar Valley. It is shown on the park map.

QDP2012, thanks for the offer. I need to rewrite the radio designator portion of the wiki and then edit the park ranger district map. Some of the districts are actually sub-districts and some of the district names are not correct. I've gotten permission to use the maps from "Secret Yellowstone" on the RR Wiki, I just need to edit them. I need to submit the correct repeater locations for each net and make sure that those repeaters are listed net by net instead of the way they are now.

For those visiting this National Park remember that the bison is the park's most dangerous animal. For every injury and fatality caused by both grizzly and black bears there are 3.3 injuries and fatalities due to bison. The NPS recommends visitors get no closer than 75 feet from these large mammals, which have the capability to run at 30 mph, just like bears.

When I was working adjacent to the West Yellowstone road on the North Fork Fire during the 1988 blazes a bison bull was walking on the highway surface and I was about 10 feet away. The ground under my feet was vibrating. I only had about a 30 second warning that the animal was approaching and we were told to not run or make sudden movements so I hoped the few scrawny lodgepole pines between me and the bull screened me from the animal's sight, although I'm sure it could smell me, after all the park visitors could smell me from a couple of hundred feet.

I used to carry the best nationwide federal land management agency frequency list I could gather. I programmed one of the nets into my King and scanned it along with the tactical channel for the division I was in, with the tac set as a priority. I think there were only two nets at the time, perhaps north and south. I could not follow the traffic very well as I didn't have any information on the radio designator system for the park. I will update the Wiki to make sure its readers won't be in the same situation.

SCPD

QRT
The information about the park's repeaters that was shared with me does not show the repeater (presumably for the Lamar Net) located north of Cooke City. Does anyone know the status of that repeater? The information I was given is dated mid March, 2015.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Thanks guys for the wishes. For the frequencies I have programmed I haven't been able to pick up anything except for the Mt. Holmes - 166.875 repeater. I have all the frequencies programmed right with the correct PL tones and NAC's.

hpycmpr

I'd recommend not programming PLs and NACs as you're likely to miss significant traffic. YNP does occasionally use digital and the southern area of the park has three repeaters on the same channel with different tones. IMO there's almost no reason to use PL's short of interference.

Steve

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I updated the DB last year? with then current information or so. Exsmokey, if there are still changes that need to be made, please send me a PM.

The PL and NAC's were correct at the time.

The GPS information is correct for DB/GPS aware scanners - but the main listing should be in Wyoming

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I updated the DB last year? with then current information or so. Exsmokey, if there are still changes that need to be made, please send me a PM.

The PL and NAC's were correct at the time.

The GPS information is correct for DB/GPS aware scanners - but the main listing should be in Wyoming

The Mt. Holmes, Yellowstone South Repeater, West Repeater and 172.500 frequency is what I pick up from the time I was here at the Park other than that the Police department is really quiet with no activity.

Last edited:

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Sorry for my late reply the WIFI service here where I am at isn't that good. I hope for the best for you and remember to battle strongly and don't hold anything back. There isn't much radio activity around the Park at most I heard couple of people talking on Mt. Holmes, West/South and 172.500 frequency and that was it. The Police frequency is really quiet around here.

Best wishes and good luck.

Congratulations to your mother! I had one surgery for "The Big C" and may have another cancerous tumor in an unrelated part of the body. That "mass" is not growing, but its cell type is yet unknown. I had a trauma in the late 80's that is now causing a slow deterioration in cognitive functioning.

“Growing old isn't for sissies” Bette Davis

There haven''t been any changes to the four nets at Yellowstone NP. Those nets are the North, Lamar, West and South. The change to the Lamar Net is the relocation of its repeater to Druid Peak, located north of the Gardiner to Cooke City road, west of Trout Lake and adjacent to the Lamar Valley. It is shown on the park map.

QDP2012, thanks for the offer. I need to rewrite the radio designator portion of the wiki and then edit the park ranger district map. Some of the districts are actually sub-districts and some of the district names are not correct. I've gotten permission to use the maps from "Secret Yellowstone" on the RR Wiki, I just need to edit them. I need to submit the correct repeater locations for each net and make sure that those repeaters are listed net by net instead of the way they are now.

For those visiting this National Park remember that the bison is the park's most dangerous animal. For every injury and fatality caused by both grizzly and black bears there are 3.3 injuries and fatalities due to bison. The NPS recommends visitors get no closer than 75 feet from these large mammals, which have the capability to run at 30 mph, just like bears.

When I was working adjacent to the West Yellowstone road on the North Fork Fire during the 1988 blazes a bison bull was walking on the highway surface and I was about 10 feet away. The ground under my feet was vibrating. I only had about a 30 second warning that the animal was approaching and we were told to not run or make sudden movements so I hoped the few scrawny lodgepole pines between me and the bull screened me from the animal's sight, although I'm sure it could smell me, after all the park visitors could smell me from a couple of hundred feet.

I used to carry the best nationwide federal land management agency frequency list I could gather. I programmed one of the nets into my King and scanned it along with the tactical channel for the division I was in, with the tac set as a priority. I think there were only two nets at the time, perhaps north and south. I could not follow the traffic very well as I didn't have any information on the radio designator system for the park. I will update the Wiki to make sure its readers won't be in the same situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.