Outside antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALMountain

Outside Antenna Question Shelby County

Ok guys hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to buy a new scanner possibly the uniden BCD536HP. And I need a outside antenna that would be able to pick up the Jefferson county sheriff. I live in Shelby county toward the harpersville/wilsonville area. So its a long range away plus I have double oak mountain working against me. What antenna would allow me to pick up and hear them?

Last edited:

KJ4TDM

Feed Provider
800MHz yagi works great for me. I live about 30 miles north of B.ham.

Irishfireguy3622

Premium Subscriber
I was living on 280 in Inverness and had no issues with Jefferson or Shelby counties digital systems on the BCD436hp rubber duck antenna. An 800 Yagi would work but you would be limited to receiving that band only. In the past I have used a mag mount NMO with pl-259 connector and attached an 800 NMO commercial mobile antenna when I lived in an apartment in Ohio. If you have the an outside antenna mast I would suggest the Tram Broad Band Base Antenna (144/220/440/900/1290 MHz).

Attachments

• 800.jpg
    800.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 285
I was living on 280 in Inverness and had no issues with Jefferson or Shelby counties digital systems on the BCD436hp rubber duck antenna. An 800 Yagi would work but you would be limited to receiving that band only. In the past I have used a mag mount NMO with pl-259 connector and attached an 800 NMO commercial mobile antenna when I lived in an apartment in Ohio. If you have the an outside antenna mast I would suggest the Tram Broad Band Base Antenna (144/220/440/900/1290 MHz).

what kind of antenna is that in your picture you posted? I see that exact type antenna on most emergency vehicles in Jefferson County. I figured since I saw it on most vehicles it must work really well.

Irishfireguy3622

Premium Subscriber
It is one of a few different types of mobile 800Mhz antennas. At BFRS I've seen just about all types on our different equipment. If you buy a magnetic mount NMO base you can simply screw this on and get the proper adapter (most likely a BNC MALE TO PL-259 FEMALE ADAPTER) for your cable and you're all set.
I prefer to permanently mount my antennas on the roof of my truck but a mag mount will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.