Newberg Police and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyGuard

I have all of the talkgroups for the Newberg-Dundee Police and Newberg Fire in my RS Pro-668, but I don't hear any traffic on those talk groups. Am I missing something? I was monitoring these talkgroups for most of the afternoon and evening, but heard nothing. I know that fire was dispatched several times during the time I was monitoring as I heard the sirens.

DickH

I have all of the talkgroups for the Newberg-Dundee Police and Newberg Fire in my RS Pro-668, but I don't hear any traffic on those talk groups. Am I missing something? I was monitoring these talkgroups for most of the afternoon and evening, but heard nothing. I know that fire was dispatched several times during the time I was monitoring as I heard the sirens.

Is this a new problem?
Have you heard them in the past?
Do you have both Control Channels programmed?

GrumpyGuard

Is this a new problem?
Have you heard them in the past?
Do you have both Control Channels programmed?
Dick, I moved to Oregon about six weeks ago and have had the Pro-668 for about ten days. I programmed the radio with the direct download from RR using Iscan, so my assumption is it loaded the control channels.

taborj

I haven't fired up my BC246t recently, which is where I have my Newberg/Dundee codes entered. But as of about 2 weeks ago, I was able to hear them.

I should note that quite a bit of fire traffic goes over the Yamhill Co channels, too.

I'll fire up the scanner today and monitor.

EDIT: I've had it on for the last hour or so, and have heard some sporadic PD traffic, which is normal for Newberg. Not much FIRE traffic, but then again I haven't heard the trucks from station 21 (the nearest to me), so they may be having a quiet morning. I mean, the Dairy Queen is already burned down, what else matters? :)

Last edited:

DickH

Dick, I moved to Oregon about six weeks ago and have had the Pro-668 for about ten days. I programmed the radio with the direct download from RR using Iscan, so my assumption is it loaded the control channels.

You had better look at the database, then make sure the control channels are correct and in your scanner. Without a control channel or with a wrong one you will hear nothing.

radiotweester

My suggestion would be to delete ALL the control channel data EXCEPT the Main System.
859.7375 (primary) and 859.2375, 860.2375 and 860.7375 as alternates.
The trunked system does NOT simulcast most traffic through all the sites (listed in the RR data base).
The exception to the above said is if you're actually going to be in Clackamas County, you'll want to make that the site primary.

DickH

My suggestion would be to delete ALL the control channel data EXCEPT the Main System.
859.7375 (primary) and 859.2375, 860.2375 and 860.7375 as alternates.
The trunked system does NOT simulcast most traffic through all the sites (listed in the RR data base).
The exception to the above said is if you're actually going to be in Clackamas County, you'll want to make that the site primary.

Why would he do that if he wants Newberg-Dundee?

GrumpyGuard

I went into the software and all the frequencies are loaded. I noticed that four sites are listed. Newberg, Clackamas, East Clackamas and Goat Mountain. Data thresholds are Low 88 and High 95. Do these settings need to be adjusted or do I need to lock out all but the Newberg site?

DickH

I went into the software and all the frequencies are loaded. I noticed that four sites are listed. Newberg, Clackamas, East Clackamas and Goat Mountain. Data thresholds are Low 88 and High 95. Do these settings need to be adjusted or do I need to lock out all but the Newberg site?

If you want only Newberg, you need only the Newberg site. Did you check the database and make sure the Newberg site freqs. are all in? If so, then you may be too far away to hear them.
Put it in MANual mode and see if you hear the control channel.

GrumpyGuard

If you want only Newberg, you need only the Newberg site. Did you check the database and make sure the Newberg site freqs. are all in? If so, then you may be too far away to hear them.
Put it in MANual mode and see if you hear the control channel.
I want to monitor most of Washington County, with an emphasis on the City of Newberg. All required frequencies are in the radio. I am in Newberg so I should be able to hear them. I understand they are not a busy town but I should hear something in an eight hour period. I am about a mile from the Police station and Fire station and I hear the sirens of the Fire/EMS units but never hear them being dispatched. I know that it must be a setting that is off. I am going to experiment and lock out all the sites but Newberg and see if this changes anything. I will report back late next week if this works, as I will be out of town for a few days.

Thank you all for your assistance.

radiotweester

I realize you're in Newberg, but if you can receive 859.7375MHz with a good signal, use it.
You might want to add 163.250 (and 46.42) for Fire Tapout.

One of the downsides of monitoring Smartzone. If you aren't listening to the main system and there isn't a radio affiliated on that remote site on that specific channel, you hear nothing (even though the control channel is chattering with data). The Portland system is the same regarding multiple sites. Being in Hillsboro, you'd think I could use the Cornelius Pass site, but I hear nothing but the sporadic Tri-Met MAX train unless I monitor the main system. Hope this helps!

DickH

I want to monitor most of Washington County, with an emphasis on the City of Newberg. All required frequencies are in the radio. ...

Ohhh. That's a whole different story. The "required frequencies" should be ONLY the 4 control channels; 859.2375, 859.7375, 860.2375 and 860.7375 in the simulcast system. And whichever talk groups you want. You need all 4 CCs in case they rotate them. Some systems, like Portland, very seldom change, but others rotate often.

GrumpyGuard

Thank you everyone, when I get back I will reprogram the radio with just the simulcast control frequencies.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
If you want only Newberg, you need only the Newberg site.

The Newberg site is just an intellirepeater now. I'm confident it doesn't have any talk groups permanently "linked" to it. It will always have comms from channels all over the metro area, but never permanently. I've heard all the major channels on it before, but only for a short amount of time.

I think the one channel that should be there 99% of the time is Newberg and Dundee Fire dispatch since Dundee's station is down there.

It's totally inconsistent unless you're an actual subscriber.

Funny how NDPD gets better coverage from Site 1 off of Bald Peak and Parrett Mountain than the closer Site 5.

GrumpyGuard

I have had the scanner set up to record and most days it's silent on the Newberg talkgroups. I will try sites 1 and 5.

GrumpyGuard

Update. With just the simulcast in the radio I am able to pick up Newberg Police and fire. I also put in the 45 and 46 mHz frequencies and I am able to hear the Dispatch channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.