hr2510

Status
Not open for further replies.
just picked up a President hr2510
NEED HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!
can someone explain in point blank form how to calibrate the swr

I have checked the manual and it confuses me.
I guess you can tell what a new be I am

Studying for my license. I would like to just be able to listen ,but having not much luck

I want to be sure I have calibrated correctly
lookin forward to hearing from someone
Thanks

K7MEM

Well, good luck on studying for your tests. Be a little forward thinking and study for the tests past the Technician. If you pass the Technician test, give the General test a try. Then, if you pass the General, try the Extra. There are lots of new hams starting out with their Extra.

If you just want to listen, there is no need to calibrate the SWR meter. A check of the SWR tells you whether your antenna is a good match to your transmitter, at your current frequency. While a good match is important during receive, the receiver is not a picky as the transmitter and will work fine without calibrating the SWR meter.

In fact, unless you are calibrating the SWR with a dummy load, you should not be transmitting until your get your license. Even then, you should be using a dummy load for adjustments and tune ups.

Now that the lecture is over, here are the steps to calibrate the SWR readings.

1. Push the METER switch until the meter changes into SWR calibrate mode.

2. Select a mode based on the mode you intend to use. This is because the CW/SSB modes have more output power than the AM/FM modes. If you don't set the reference correctly, the SWR indicated may be in error.

2 A. Put the radio in the CW mode, if you are going to use CW or SSB. You use the CW mode because the SSB mode does not output any ower,
until you talk into the microphone.

2 B. Or, put the radio in the FM mode, if you are going to use FM.

2 C. Or, put the radio in the AM mode, if you are going to use AM.

3. Turn the SWR calibrate knob fully counter clock wise.

4. Push the TX switch.

5. Adjust the SWR calibrate knob so that the indicator is over the calibrate mark on the meter (at the high end of the meter).

6. Push the METER switch, to change into SWR mode.

7. Read the current SWR off the meter.

8. Release the TX switch.

Good luck on your test.

Martin - K7MEM

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
K7MEM beat me to posting about transmitting without a license. Call me the radio police but let's do the proper thing here on RR and encourage the correct methods of radio operation. For listening, no need to worry about SWR until properly licensed. One additional point: I was taught to turn the power level down to a maximum of 5 watts [or lowest possible RF output] while doing SWR or tuning. Once licensed may have to use higher level at times. And right now, listening might be poor with the solar conditions [not familiar with the radio so not sure what frequencies it will cover]. And type of antenna and coax will have an effect on listening as well.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Having owned several 2510's, Lincoln's, and current owner of a 2600 I can say from experience, DON'T trust the built in SWR meter.

Get a decent external SWR meter.

TheSpaceMann

Spoke all over the world on a 2510! Nice little radio, considering that It cost me only around $150 brand new in the early '90s!!

Status
Not open for further replies.