Teflex coax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

Can anyone tell me about it? I am having an NMO mount installed in the roof of my vehicle next Friday and the installer is quoting a Laird NMO mount with Teflex.

https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=20510&eventPage=1

How does that compare to, say, one with RG58/U or RG58/AU? The reason I ask is that I would prefer black coax for the little bit that will show after the install is done. But, if Teflex is superior, I can live with white.

n0nhp

Teflex uses Teflon dielectric and cover. If you are using 700-800MHz & up at high power or are in an environment with temperature extremes, it is better coax. If you are using it for UHF / VHF in PA not so much, just more profit for the shop (and a bit easier install).

Bruce

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If cable color is your main concern, just sleeve it in some split loom tubing. You can pick that up in most hardware and auto parts stores.

For receive only, I wouldn't be too concerned about the specific coax. RG-58 works just fine for all our VHF and 800MHz mobile installs. You won't be able to notice the fractional difference in loss between cables.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Here's what I find odd.

If you go to Laird's web site and search for Teflex, you get no hits. If you Google "Teflex", you get several links pointing to Laird products. If you poke around on Laird's web site to the mobile mounts, you find that some of their mounts use Teflex cable.

So, what's Teflex?

BTW, if the OP lives someplace near the ocean or where salt is used on the roads, you might think twice about using a brass mount. Even though most NMO mount antennas are sealed pretty well, I've still seen water work its way into the threads. That water will carry salt which will corrode a brass mount. For that reason, I've stuck with mounts that are either nickel-plated or stainless steel.

dmg1969

Nope...I'm in Pennsylvania. One day I will have my beach house, though. ;-)

Yeah, really color is my main thing. I just don't think I want white coax. When I get there next Friday, I want to quickly discuss the routing of the coax anyway, so I will just tell them that I prefer an equivalent brass mount with black coax.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I live within a mile of the ocean, and never had any issues with the brass NMO mounts. Proper sealing and maintenance will address any issues, and you should be doing that no matter where you live. Road salts, pollution, etc. will all do the same thing, no matter where you live. I've had nickel and stainless NMO mounts and have not noticed any benefit to those.

If you want black coax, then just go with the basic mount. They should have them in stock, especially if they are a Motorola dealer. The standard antenna kits that can be ordered with Motorola radios come with standard RG-58 and brass NMO mounts.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
muskrat39 Laird's own brand coax, could be RG8x, also known as mini 8. Lower loss then RG58

The coax that the OP posted in the link to Tessco IS RG-58 coax. Teflex is the brand. It clearly said at the bottom of the description to "Order standard RG58 size connectors separately. Thread size is 1 1/8 inch - 18"

It's "nothing special" coax. I can't find any specs but the description would make it a point to advertise if it was more than 80% shielded.

n0nhp

It is basically RG-142 with a custom white jacket.
We used 142 in Antarctica for our coax runs because poly jackets tend to shatter around -40

Bruce

prcguy

I don't think its RG-142, that's got a heavy double layer braided copper shield that is silver plated and a solid copper clad steel center conductor that is also silver plated. The dielectric and outer covering on 142 is Teflon.

I believe Teflex has a Teflon dielectric but with a foil and sparse tinned outer braid. If someone has a chunk please cut it open at an angle and post a pic.
prcguy

It is basically RG-142 with a custom white jacket.
We used 142 in Antarctica for our coax runs because poly jackets tend to shatter around -40

Bruce

dmg1969

So, is the consensus that I would be OK to just go with a different Laird NMO mount using RG58U (solid core) coax? I did email the guy and told him that I prefer black and he said he did have other sets with black coax. I'm chomping at the bit to get it done.

mancow, Yikes! I was always searching for Laird ABSCANCS. Glad I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.