• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Trying to back up my SREC but hit a wall with DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubs0980

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

I have a xts3000 that I'm trying to back up the SREC and tuning values. I have the asto tuner and CPS so I screen shot and wrote all the tuning values down, and of course have a copy of my plug, but I learned about the srec stuff and how it can save your bacon in some cases. I'm a noob at this but did some research. I have the mtsxlab and it runs on a xp's shell cmd prompt when I click on the runtime.exe but doesnt read the radio (as it shouldnt.) I read the only way to do it right is pure dos. So I loaded another harddrive up with win98 and shutdown to DOS but when I eventually bumble through (and I do mean bumble as my first experience with dos besides oregon trail is DSD) I get the program to initalize at first but it errors out to "can't open file: runtime.odb" but runtime.odb seems to be there in the program folder. So this is hopefully more of a Dos question than a "touchy program" question.

Basially the program will open on win98 and xp if I click on the runtime.exe a la windows but I can't figure out how to get it to run on Dos (or dosbox which gets the same error) where it will work. I'm a total noob so don't rule out the obvious but any ideas? I'd really appreciate it, as I've been trying to acomplish this the past few days. It feels like the first time I started programming a scanner. :)

comp specs in case it helps: Old dell inspiron 8100 with a real serial and kawamall ribless

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
To begin with You need AstroLab RSS not MTSX

Dos in and of itself is a PITA (really its crap and I don't know why Motorola doesn't have LAB CPS instead of this ancient software). and Dosbox wont work. I would suggest using stock MS DOS 6.22. On something with a real serial port. Also when running on dos you will probably need extended memory of 3 MB assigned to the runtime. Also, for some reason, RSS does not like ribless cables (it might just be me though).

dubs0980

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. As I was looking around I found the FDB tool. It looks like it may be another way to save/write S records. Any epxerience with that?

It seems to read and save well on my machine in XP. I assume it will write... I read in a blog FDB's .s19 save should only be loaded via FDB and not another lab tool. Not sure if thats true or not. Assuming this would save me if I corrupted things on the radio I owe Vlad many beers.

I'm still in awe of the dedication of people writing programs like these, unitrunker, trunk88, DSD, DSDplus, etc and the guys supporting each other on the forums.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
No, MTSX lab is the proper tool. I've done more than I could ever count. The directory is full of S recs.

dubs0980

Premium Subscriber
I think I have it sorted thanks to a fellow that has felt my pain on this. Seems to run well on win98se dos, but I need to pull the HD to save it and get it out of the machine (no big deal.) Seriously thanks again D! and to all you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.