Rochester Police Department reorganization radio changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MightySlam

Anyone know if the Rochester PD is making any changes to their dispatch/talk radio structure under the quadrant reorganization?

I know they have an East side / West side split now and was curious if they were going to keep it the same or match the quadrant system.

Thanks!

eng5

Premium Subscriber
I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep east and west channels, with multiple sections on each. This was the channel plan long before before they consolidated the 7 old patrol sections to 2. Let us know what you hear.

sudsyjkh

Here is what I've found after just a little bit of listening.
It sounds like they are still using the 2 dispatch frequencies. When a call is given out the dispatcher says the sector name followed by a 3-digit beat number. (Clinton 203, Lake 201, etc). Seems like all beats are in the 2xx range.
There are 2-diget cars called patrol-xx and post-xx that I'm thinking are just roaming around sectors and will take calls or backup in any of them.
Sergeants are 1xx. I'm not sure if there is a pattern for which sgt's are for which beat.
Sounds like special units (k9, swat, undercover) are still 4-digits. although at one point I did hear a dispatcher refer to "k9-1" But shortly after that the same dispatcher referred to the same as 8910.
That's about all I have so far...
Also, I am partially blind, so I'm not able to interpret the map...I'm strictly going by what I've heard.

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Sounds like they've gone back to something like the old patrol sections.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like they've gone back to something like the old patrol sections.
Just less of them. Maple, Highland, and Atlantic are deleted, and Downtown is now Central.

They've come full circle, sort of. When I started in 1976, they had just gone from 3 districts (ABC) to 7. Then Atlantic (5) disappeared and Downtown (9) was created from little slices of several of the other districts. They shuffled small bits of territory a few times among the districts, but it was essentially the same when I retired in 2003. Shortly after that, they went to East/West. It stayed East/West until now.

I'm betting the car numbering is mostly right back where it was when I started or real similar. 101 is the Lake Section Captain, 111 is the on duty Lake Lt., 121 and 131 would be the on duty Sergeants. 141 might likely be the 4th Platoon Lake Sgt. 151, 161, 171, 181, and 191 are likely to be specialty units in Lake Section. Beat cars will be 201, 211, 221, 231, 241, 251, 261, 271, 281, and 291. (Hopefully 271 is still the Charlotte car...:) ) 301, 311, 321, 331, and maybe 341 might be Unit investigators. (Just my semi-educated guesses here.)

Just an observation here... The more things change there, the more they are exactly the same as they have been all along. Patrol beats and districts are all different, again, and there's not one additional patrol officer added to the street.

I could probably go back and dispatch with the old job cards and not miss a beat. Another lost art, that.

sudsyjkh

Thanks for the insight Steve. I've been hearing some 4xx cars today too (410). What were those back in the day? (if they existed).
Also, what are the 2-digit post/patrol units?

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the insight Steve. I've been hearing some 4xx cars today too (410). What were those back in the day? (if they existed).

410 was the watch commander evenings and overnights and weekends.

Other 4xx numbers were the ranking officers of the department. 401 was the Chief IIRC. 402 the Deputy, 403 the Patrol Major. They are probably different now because the structure and command ranks are changed.

150 and 250 were the patrol wagons. 210, 220, 230, and 240 were evidence techs.

Guess we'll have to see if they stuck to most of the old numbers.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Two digit post numbers used to be mostly the downtown foot beats although they'd assign post numbers all over the city for special events, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.