Interesting video comparing BCD436HP digital audio to a $10 SDR/DSD+ combo audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

budevans

I wish more videos were produced like this :)

A plain & simple comparison of two very different receiving systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPpBzT1l41k

I listened to the audio. The Uniden was rock solid and the DSD was warbly. So I'm not sure that I get the point?

If the DSD was decoding Mototrbo or some other encoding that the Uniden won't do, then I'd get the point.

Boatanchor

I hadn't posted any comments on the pro's or con's of either receiving system.
My point was about the clarity of the video comparing product A with product B.

You determined that the Uniden audio was 'better', so you obviously gained something from this post.
Others, who don't know anything about SDR may gain some other insight.

budevans

I hadn't posted any comments on the pro's or con's of either receiving system.
My point was about the clarity of the video comparing product A with product B.

You determined that the Uniden audio was 'better', so you obviously gained something from this post.
Others, who don't know anything about SDR may gain some other insight.

Actually the fact that you didn't post a comment was what threw me off. My bad. Over the last few month's I've come to expect the polarizing posts at one extreme or another.

Thanks for taking the time and effort. It was an interesting comparison.

marksmith

I listened to the audio. The Uniden was rock solid and the DSD was warbly. So I'm not sure that I get the point?

If the DSD was decoding Mototrbo or some other encoding that the Uniden won't do, then I'd get the point.
The point might be the difference in cost.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Had I been the producer of that great video, and because I just wouldn't have been able to help myself, I would have had to add a few side by side comparisons of both setups decoding DMR and NXDN.... :D

DSD+ does a marvelous job with the dongles. Of course the plus with the 436HP is that I can get up and walk away....and still listen. Well, to P25 anyway... ;)

Boatanchor

I didn't produce the video but I would like to see the same thing done with a GRE/Whistler/RS scanner and a Uniden scanner. There is a marked difference in the recovered P25 audio characteristics between these two as well.

Kudos to the original video producer. It would have taken some time to record, edit and ensure the audio from the two receivers were at a similar level.

I'd like to see more of these comparisons. Bells and whistles are nice to have but at the end of the day, most people buy a scanner to 'listen' to radio comms.

Status
Not open for further replies.