Multiple channels on one RTL stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amraks

Premium Subscriber
Hey sorry to dig old thread.

But Unitrunker have you got plans to make it capture off the one card?

My Edacs frequencies are close to together and these usb's dongles can see a lot I noticed in sdr#.

Also like to ask the benefits of 2 voice receivers?

KD8DVR

Hey sorry to dig old thread.

My Edacs frequencies are close to together and these usb's dongles can see a lot I noticed in sdr#.

Seriously just buy a second dongle. you can get 'em as low as $10. By the time you give up getting one to work you'd have a second one shipped.

Amraks

Premium Subscriber
I do have a second dongle I am just finding out if there might ever be a single dongle.

Would be cool if Unitrunker got a single one working smooth.

SCPD

QRT
Short answer - yes. I'm working on multiple VCOs for the AirSpy now. I plan to do the same for the RTL sticks in the future.

Beware that this might not work for someone with older, slower hardware. The main advantage of running multiple RTL sticks (eg. one signal and one voice) is reduced CPU resources. Each RTL stick can operate at a reduced bandwidth.

For the most part, two (or more) voice receivers would race or leapfrog each other for the next call. You could do something like limit one receiver to analog and another to P25. The program doesn't have the ability to give each voice receiver separate criteria for listening so there's not much advantage to this.

Amraks

Premium Subscriber
Thanks its getting to be quite the program for the job great work you do

any idea what you will call the single option?

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
If you really want to use just one receiver, use SDRSharp and the AuxVFO and trunking plugins. Center the SDRSharp display so as much of the trunking frequencies are visible, set the AuxVFO to the control channel and pipe it through virtual audio cable to Unitrunker's discriminator option, then create a debug receiver in Unitrunker that the trunking plugin in SDRSharp can listen to and change the frequency of the regular tuner.

Alternatively, see howto - trunking with one SDR - pewusoft homepage or P25 Trunked Tracking and Decoding with Unitrunker and DSDPlus | Jeffrey Kopcak, MBA

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Thread resurrection!! ... has anyone been able to do up a solution for this?

A dream if I'm able to do multiple VFOs as I can see 3 P25 system CCs with a single standard SDR stick - would love to run them all into DSDplus for logging! But since my computer is in the basement, multiple VFOs off a Raspberry Pi would be awesome to save some hydro costs while getting better reception!

paparazzo

Feed Provider
Look for SDRsharp SDR#, there is a AUX-VFO plug-in available which gives you the possibility to create as much VFOs as the performance of your PC allowes.
SDR# is for free available at the airspy website.
For AUX VFO you need to google, it's available on a russian website.

Also you need to have virtual audio cable or something similar for streaming the audio of each VFO to your dedicated DSD instance.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Apologies - should've been clearer on my post... I can't use SDRSharp because it doesn't output audio for simulcast systems properly. As a result, DSDplus returns a lot of errors despite strong signal. I'm using FMP24 now and the decoding is awesome. Took me a while to learn but now that I've gotten the hang of it, it's pretty much all I use now.

I think the next step is trying to see if FMP24 will run under Wine in Raspbian, and if multiple instances are possible.

paparazzo

Feed Provider
That's new to me. I am using SDR# and never had such an issue. Did you switch off audio filtering? You also may try to use WFM with narrow bandwith. And check if you set the sampling rates of the audio devices correspondig to each other (48000 not 44100).

Status
Not open for further replies.