Tip for identifying retail store intercepts

Status
Not open for further replies.

parnass

AJ9S
You hear transmissions from what sounds like a retail store operation. Which store are you hearing? It can be difficult to identify the store you hear when there are several retail stores in the same general vicinity.

One of the most common things you hear when monitoring stores is a staffer describing an item and referring its stock number, often when asking for a "price check." Stock numbers are usually unique to the retailers.

Search the web using the stock number and you can usually determine the identity of the store.

ecps92

And this unique type of Monitoring requires Patience
IT can take weeks/months of dedicated monitoring to ID the user

Excellent tips Bob

You hear transmissions from what sounds like a retail store operation. Which store are you hearing? It can be difficult to identify the store you hear when there are several retail stores in the same general vicinity.

One of the most common things you hear when monitoring stores is a staffer describing an item and referring its stock number, often when asking for a "price check." Stock numbers are usually unique to the retailers.

Search the web using the stock number and you can usually determine the identity of the store.

wtp

years ago

i would have to search the bands and figure out who was who.
now with a 396t on close call in my pocket, some of the hunting is gone.
now the hunt consists of who uses a radio. restaurant, flea market, shoe store.
most of the time when the radio signals a hit, i am looking at the radio user.
and get the freq and pl at the same time.
i was checking into a hotel late one night and figured they would not be using the radio much, so i just put my arm over the counter and keyed the radio when the hostess turned to get the key. bingo, job done.
someone left a radio at the electronics counter at walmart, yep 154.57 confirmed.
so instead of looking for the needle using a needle, freq by freq , close call changed my game.
enjoy the hunt.

RayAir

Set the scanner next to a voice activated recorder if you can receive from your house. Check the tapes to see if you can get any Intel as to who you're listening to.

Try to check for FCC licenses but they are probably unlicensed.

You can also do some "recon" work to see what type of radios the sales associates carry around. Look if they have vhf or UHF antennas. Most likely they are a preprogrammed model on common frequencies.

Go to the possible stores with a scanner set to "close call", or " signal stalker".

Loss prevention at a major store by me carrys around Motorola SL7550's (MotoTRBO) and I discovered they have two repeater talk groups operating unencrypted.
Loss prevention is fun to listen to, especially during busy shopping periods.

parnass

AJ9S
Great tips! It's interesting to hear how others are identifying signal sources.

I record transmissions for later analysis using two different setups.

(1) A Uniden BCT15X is connected to the sound card of a desktop computer and signals are recorded using the free Audacity program. Audacity is available for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.

Link: Audacity | SourceForge.net

(2) The line output jack on my ICOM IC-R8500 is connected through an attenuator to the mic jack of a Radio Shack Desktop
Digital Recorder (#1400214). The digital recorder can operate in VOX mode when using the mic jack.

desktop-digital-recorder.jpg

ecps92

Altho many think they are unlicensed, it is because folks search within the State (based on mailing info) when you need to search globally as Corporate is in another state and likely has a Nationwide license.

Try to check for FCC licenses but they are probably unlicensed.

You can also do some "recon" work to see what type of radios the sales associates carry around. Look if they have vhf or UHF antennas. Most likely they are a preprogrammed model on common frequencies.

Go to the possible stores with a scanner set to "close call", or " signal stalker".

Loss prevention at a major store by me carrys around Motorola SL7550's (MotoTRBO) and I discovered they have two repeater talk groups operating unencrypted.
Loss prevention is fun to listen to, especially during busy shopping periods.

KB0VWG

Sometimes if I dont have my scanner with me i use a small frequency counter that has a s meter built in.
That helps too as long I am in the store within close proximity of the transceiver.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

teufler

USED TO CARRY AN oPTISCOUT. It takes all of the fun out of searching. It records up to a distance of 500 feet to the target just go on the store, walk around, shop and then replay what it has recorded.

KB7MIB

There's an automated announcement on two seperate frequencies, about 2-3 seconds apart from each other, from what sounds like a drive-through. I don't know yet if it's the local WalGreens, Home Depot, Burger King/Del Taco/Arby's, or some other drive-through that I'm not aware of.
They use 467.8500 and 467.8750, each with a different DCS.
The announcement is "Attention associates, new customer".

I found them while searching the pre-loaded F/G/MURS frequencies in my PSR-500.

John
Peoria, AZ

ecps92

Generally adding the PL/DPL to the known Freq
ie: Freq + PL/DPL = Common Channel Plan

Most of the Big Box stores use a Nationwide Common Plan.
Common Standard Department Store Channels - Scan New England Wiki
I'm 99% sure what you have is not Walgreens or one of the fast food drive-ups.

What DPL ? I'll bet it's one of the common Orange Box Hardware Stores

There's an automated announcement on two seperate frequencies, about 2-3 seconds apart from each other, from what sounds like a drive-through. I don't know yet if it's the local WalGreens, Home Depot, Burger King/Del Taco/Arby's, or some other drive-through that I'm not aware of.

John
Peoria, AZ

parnass

AJ9S
The announcement is . ... "Attention associates, new customer".
John
Peoria, AZ

I live in Illinois and hear similar automated transmissions on the same frequencies (and a few others) and have identified the source as the local Home Depot. The announcement is: "Attention associates, new order".

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
At my local K-Mart, they have a system that announces over their HT radios (Motorola) when a customer presses the "Need Assistance" button in a department. I am not sure what device they use to do this, but it seems to work well.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin

John
Peoria, AZ

That particular set of words is a recorded announcement from Home Depot - I live w/in 10 locks and it is very strong!
W

parnass

AJ9S

PACNWDude

Very good intel gathering. And many of my co-workers think that scanning is dying off due to encryption and DMR radios.
I'm passing this along as another item they can listen to. I get a kick out of it at least.
Have heard the price check and stock number check radio calls many times driving around my neighborhood. Mostly department stores selling clothes.
Will have to listen for Home Depot now.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Another tool I use for logging from home or while mobile, is nmy BC346T connected to freescan. It will log the freq/pl and record the audio for me. Sometimes, I'll leave it running in my car while at work, etc.

ecps92

I've also begun to notice this in-use at Target and some other larger stores.
Automated Bathroom checks as well. :D

A technique which helped me identify Home Depot as the source of the automated transmissions was to search the web for that phrase "Attention associates, new order".

It led me to a web page in which a former Home Depot employee reminisced about hear the announcements over and over again:

LPT - If you can't locate something in a Home Depot, search for it online with that store as "your store". It will tell you the Aisle and bin location. : LifeProTips

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"Altho many think they are unlicensed, it is because folks search within the State (based on mailing info) when you need to search globally as Corporate is in another state and likely has a Nationwide license.Quote"

The easiest way I find is to take the frequency and put in the FCC database listing by locations. Put the Lat Long in and you get everybody on that channel with in whatever distance you chose.

Site / Market / Frequency Query

D

DaveNF2G

The retailers might also appear to be unlicensed because they are using rented equipment from a radio shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.