• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Interesting Anytone Termn-8r info

Status
Not open for further replies.

12dbsinad

As of this post, it looks as though the termn-8r is no longer available via amazon. Unless this is just something screwy going on short term. The obltr-8r is still available.

n5ims

Think that the info in this thread may have something to do with it?

http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...g-tech-deliberately-misleading-consumers.html

If you don't want to read the whole thing, this post (http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...ately-misleading-consumers-5.html#post2376006) probably has the meat of the issue. Especially where the FCC tells them ...

You are cautioned that marketing and importation of equipment in the United States bearing the referenced FCC Identifier is prohibited by Section 2.803 of the Rules. Violation of this regulation may subject you to the penalties provided in Sections 501 and 502 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended.

That said, they're most likely working to correct any issues and will resubmit their certification application once things are worked out, but it's a near certainty that a new cert number will be issued so at a minimum new stickers will be necessary once it is approved.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
That said, they're most likely working to correct any issues and will resubmit their certification application once things are worked out, but it's a near certainty that a new cert number will be issued so at a minimum new stickers will be necessary once it is approved.

This remains to be seen. The issues outlined in the FCC dismissal require significant changes to the product. So the existing ones would have to go back to the "factory" for those changes to be made.

Simply slapping a label on something does not make it so. I mean, I can buy an APX front cover label and slap it on my Yaesu VX-6 but that doesn't make it so.

prcguy

I have a feeling if Anytone Tech submits the radios again and gets all FCC certifications, some people will not be satisfied and will still claim the are illegal in some way, I think the boot up approach to mulit certs is innovative and hope it all works out.
prcguy

WyoDuner

I have a feeling if Anytone Tech submits the radios again and gets all FCC certifications, some people will not be satisfied and will still claim the are illegal in some way, I think the boot up approach to mulit certs is innovative and hope it all works out.
prcguy

Yep. I hope it works out too. It's a shame there are so many radio police that seem to have some sort of personal grudge against AnyTone.

teufler

The grudge is more a dollars and sense deal. Here is a radio that takes the place of several radios. Here is a radio that hurts radio sales bcause one radio takes the place of serveral radios that can be sold.. RF wise the radio is okay. Probably public service departments didn't buy them but several, or 100's were bought as a personal radios that many officers have for their personal use. In areas that have gone digital, its of no cencern. Most interesting is the cross band that can be selected. From a bike race, foot race, things that hams get into, the radio in a high place has advantages. I have had experince placing rhe radio in a tall building, by a window and having wide area comms, where using a city repeater was not available. Or operation in hilly terrain, activating and leaving the unit near a hilltop or at the vehicle when personnel were at the bottom of a hill, they have worked wonders.Years ago, when Wilson came out with the WH-2510, radio dealers had a fit over them as they were good radios, and departments could program themselves with out going to a radio dealer and getting hit with service calls. Problem was a single wire, if left in tact allowed theradio full VFO operations. The ICOM w32, many officers from various PD's, in Memphis had them for personal radios. So as long as radio design supports radio dealers, everything is calm.

12dbsinad

Gone without a trace.

Like it was never even there.

It is still listed on their web site. One would think if there was going to be a delay in availability (or just flat out "terminated" into melted plastic) Anytone would let the consumers know. Who knows?

teufler

You know buying radios is like buying a car, in the sense that after the sale service is there if we need it. If I don't need service, I just enjoy what I purchased. I buy a car, hoping that I never have to take it back to the dealer fot service, I can do oil changes and tire rotations when I am out on ther road. I have a Chrysler LHS that has 410,000 miles on it. So thinking about the service that is offered, is not as concern. If a radio dealer, has little or no customer service, it may be because little radio service is needed.

12dbsinad

You know buying radios is like buying a car, in the sense that after the sale service is there if we need it. If I don't need service, I just enjoy what I purchased. I buy a car, hoping that I never have to take it back to the dealer fot service, I can do oil changes and tire rotations when I am out on ther road. I have a Chrysler LHS that has 410,000 miles on it. So thinking about the service that is offered, is not as concern. If a radio dealer, has little or no customer service, it may be because little radio service is needed.

If a radio dealer has little or no customer service, then I would not suggest doing ANY business with them. Not to skew from the topic here, but if your Chrysler was built on a friday afternoon and was a lemon within it's warranty period, would you then want the customer service? It is something that should be a priority to everyone that does business with a company, regardless if you ever need service of any type after the sale.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Responsible dealers/manufacturers don't hide from consumers, especially when there is a problem.

Responsible vendors don't attempt to pull one over on consumers and the FCC filing bogus equipment authorizations.

Responsible companies don't ban people from Facebook because they ask legitimate questions about their products. Legitimate companies don't hide behind smoke and mirrors concealing their identity or company location to their customers and consumers.

The bottom line is once a company/manufacturer/seller lies, they should not be trusted. Their flippant attitude towards their customers, the FCC, and even those on these forums should be a sure sign of how you may be treated if you have problem or concern, like the response this customer got when he asked what they would do about their now non-certified product.

I'm all for such a product if it's done RIGHT and not using deceptive practices and within the rules as written and the letter of such.

I am also all for supporting businesses, large and small, that conduct themselves ethically. In my opinion, "AnyTone Tech/Baofeng Tech" has been anything but ethical with the launch of these products. Putting up flashy websites and cute references to Jesus in user guides should not be a diversion from the real issues raised by consumers and the FCC.

Their lack of response and their continued marketing shows they are only interested in getting into your wallet and nothing else. Caveat emptor.

teufler

I can see how you feel that way. I have their product. It works as advertised. Other than reading and reading their manual, sopport has come from the users of the equipment rather than from Baofeng Tech. I've had one question, that Baofeng Tech responded to in 2 hours or less. The Baofeng and Anytone and Wouxan have a cult following, not in a bad way. Last year there were some quality issues and firmware isues witnh the Baofeng units but after most understood the firmware requiments, and keeping files separate (by radio model) things have been pretty good. I've got 2 gt-3's, 1 f8-hp, 1 Term8R, and 1 uv-3, and all these put together did not cost what my Yaesu vx-7 cost. I hope they last as long as the VX-7 has but if they don't, I am not out alot of money. They have allowed many new hams to get equipment that they can use to get on the air and see what the hobby is all about.,They have allowed many hams to use them "in the wild" rather than use a $300-$400 ht. Many are reluctant to get their new ht scratched, water or rained on, or broken.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm glad you are happy with your product. I have owned several Chinese radios including a GT-3 which I looked back at my Amazon account and lo and behold it was purchased from Baofeng Tech.

It wasn't advertised as having all these wild certifications and it was an okay sub $60 radio. I sold it because I didn't care for the craptacular charger that required repair out of the box to get working correctly. But for $60 I was not expecting Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood/Motorola whoever performance or support.

That being said, the AnyTone Tech radios are considerably higher priced, and thus, one expects a higher level of support/service. Not to belabor the point but their claims of certifications which were dismissed within a short time really is a blow to those who paid good money in good faith expecting to get a radio they could legally use.

Their silence on this certification issue is MAJOR to me. Especially considering all the hype and hoopla they created. Now they are eerily silent. I wonder why? They obviously are aware of this forum. Yet they refuse to respond publicly on this forum or their own website.

You be the judge. "We report...you decide"

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Agreed.

prcguy
Agreed. But some do have a point about perceived shady practices by some companies.

Last edited:

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Speculation:

This "importer" spent NRE to have a manufacturer alter the system firmware to permit the transceivers to initialize and restrict front panel and RAD controls to operate only under the Part 95 certifications for GMRS and MURS.

These restricted modes were tested and found compliant.

This was one of the FCC ID attached to the transceiver. The other part of the story is the "importer" attempted to pass Part 90 as a permissive change which is sometimes done when a device has minor changes to the circuitry and/or firmware and utilize the original FCC ID on the devices as well as the Part 95 acceptances.

The FCC has withdrawn the ID and it remains to be seen if the devices will be certified as originally planned.

I make no comment on the business ethics or value judgement on the importer's motives, just reading the teal leaves on the FCC actions.

Titan520

I had a very interesting discussion with an Anytone (Qixiang) rep yesterday before ordering my 398UVD.

I was told by her (I think. The name sounded vaguely feminine to me.) That AnyToneTechs Termn8r used the 398UV model as a base. Not just the case but the internals as well. Apparently the Termin8r isnt a 3318 thrown into a 398 case. And those are two completely different designs. I seriously doubt a electrical redesign goes under FCCs permissive change policy. Then how is it that the 3318 FCC ID is legal to use? I reckon its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.