Can anyone top these speed tests (on your smartphone?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

Can anyone top these speed tests on your smartphone using cellular data?
I don't think you can beat my speeds.
Screenshot_2015-04-18-08-12-02.jpg
I downloaded the 584mb upgrade from kit kat to lollipop in under 90 seconds.:eek:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-19-08-52-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-19-08-52-14.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 553

CapStar362

rapid seems to forget that Atlanta is one of the Key testing grounds for X-LTE Bands. i hit 93Mb / 23 Mb @ the airport when it was first released within weeks of its formal "switch on" date.

so yeah, wow, X-LTE those are NORMAL speeds for X-LTE. nothing special.

only Verizon has it, so good luck with trying that on AT&T, Boost, Sprint, T-Mobile, Metro or any other carrier.

the funky part is, only 3rd party apps or rooted phones will display whether you are actively on AWS XLTE or 4G LTE.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

That's an amazing download speed but you've got a ways to go in the ping time and upload departments. :wink:

View attachment 50258
This is my best so far
That's about the best I'd ever do with Verizon, and that would be very close to a vzw cell site.

Now THAT is consistent with my typical Verizon speeds which is one of the reasons why I am in the process of leaving them for a different carrier. More on that down below...

In case you guys haven't already figured it out then it uses a lot of data to run that app
Why yes. I never knew just how much data that app gobbled up until I had a reason to really test my speed. I've had that new phone on a new carrier since last Weds and since then doing mostly speed tests all over the city, I've consumed over 2 gb. Luckily with the carrier, I have lots more gb to use.

rapid seems to forget that Atlanta is one of the Key testing grounds for X-LTE Bands. i hit 93Mb / 23 Mb @ the airport when it was first released within weeks of its formal "switch on" date. )))

I'm pretty far outside atlanta.

(((so yeah, wow, X-LTE those are NORMAL speeds for X-LTE. nothing special. )))

It's not XLTE.

(((only Verizon has it, so good luck with trying that on AT&T, Boost, Sprint, T-Mobile, Metro or any other carrier.)))
You'll probably be just as surprised as I was to find out that those 100+/20+ speeds in my OP were with T-Mobile.

Your saying all other carriers are roaming off of Verizon for their LTE ?

Capstar was talking about XLTE which is what verizon has been promoting lately but if it's like any of their other offerings, they like to promote it and charge you for it but actually providing that service.... not so much. My Verizon speeds are typically 1X or 3G and despite being on a hill with 2 cell sites, Verizon isn't one of them and actually had to get a network extender for phone calls and MMS to go through reliably.

In the past week, I have compared my new HTC one on Tmobile with a new iPhone 6 on Verizon, and the HTC on Tmobile won the speed tests nearly every time and it had more bars almost always as well. Now, that said, I am in a place that Tmobile seems to care about and Verizon doesn't, and I can see the cell site out my window so your mileage may vary. I have also tested side by side with an iPhone on AT&T and while that ran neck & neck bars-wise, with mine, the AT&T speeds were pretty pathetic. That user is on a grandfathered "unlimited plan" and I think they offer that unlimited at Edge/2G speeds.

CapStar362

so you think Verizon made its customers pay more for the XLTE switch? try again, my bill was the same rate both before and after by many months during the XLTE Switch.

show me the IP also, i see you cut that out. you will be the FIRST T-Mobile i have EVER seen touch 30% near that.

and if you have a XLTE capable phone, they cannot deny it to you if you are within range of a XLTE Tower.

and as of now, Atlanta is NOT the only part providing XLTE, go read the list for areas in GA and the rest of the country with XLTE Service.

"they like to promote it and charge you for it but actually providing that service.... not so much."

^ ^ ^ just about as obvious as saying, i want a cheese burger, get charged for one and get a plain hamburger.

the phones are automatic to switching to XLTE, but there are ways to tell. one is a XLTE App that has a 2 mb app that resides a 565Kb notification app that tells you XLTE is active or not. the way to tell without anything 3rd party, is noticeably the latency.

oh BTW: what was the steady rate for that 116 Mbit run? run a jitter test yet?

and 584 MB of data took 90 seconds? should have taken no more than 65-70 seconds..... someone has consistency issues :)

easy to factor a steady rate is:

size of data divide by 1024 multiply by 60 and again by 2

so!

584/1024*60*2= 68.4375 Seconds

Provided like your speed test shows a decent consistency of data flow.

now how did i get that formula...its easy.

584 MB of data needs to be changed to bits. 1 MB is 1024 Mb. rule of thumb in networking, your rated speed is what you normally see, but in actuality, your THROUGHPUT is ALWAYS the real data rate. data rate is calculated in a quick shot guess by means of testing throughput and then calculating that to a minutes worth of data flow or a near estimate of that, based on the fluctuation of data flow. then, throughput will ALWAYS be a 10 factor division of your rated speeds. so that 116 Mb you see, you actually downloaded at 11.6Mb or very near it for TCP Protocol overhead.

the interesting part is, the last part of the formula.... why times 2?

many arguments have come from that. the best way to explain it, it is the closest factor to showing Throughput to Rated speed. how those engineers got that, beyond me.

scanner, T-Mobile actually DOES roam off other towers. INCLUDING Verizon towers.

"On August 21, 2012, the FCC approved a deal between T-Mobile and Verizon in which T-Mobile gains additional AWS spectrum licenses in 125 Cellular Market Areas."

Source: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2012/db0823/FCC-12-95A1.pdf

another thing rapid, he came within 2 Mbit of your upload at a almost 2.5 fold the distance latency. that DESTROYS your upload.

he tested further away and got a near same result for your more local test, and you call that "A ways to go"

more like, "i should be RUNNING from you!."

he shattered your download and got very close to your upload at a much higher latency, that is FAR better than your always local test. why don't you send out a cross country test and lets see how fast you get?

that 100ms latency is showing a Canadian server, and he is in the US. Barrie Ontario is right above Toronto. if his location is accurate, he just ran a test anywhere from 1300 miles away to over 2000.

beats your less than 200 miles in my books.

the sheer likeliness of you hitting a Verizon tower in that test, is almost 90%. and you wont know either what tower you are hitting unless you have the ability to decode the tower's base code. which, unless you work on the towers, you wont.

Last edited:
scanner, T-Mobile actually DOES roam off other towers. INCLUDING Verizon towers.
I have a friend with T-mobile and it's pretty much always roaming off of AT&T, so I'm guessing is AT&T is T-mobiles primary or first option for roaming

the sheer likeliness of you hitting a Verizon tower in that test, is almost 90%. and you wont know either what tower you are hitting unless you have the ability to decode the tower's base code. which, unless you work on the towers, you wont.

Actually they have an app for that:D it's not available for iPhone yet unfortunately

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hotrod.utility.rfsignaltrackereclair

https://sites.google.com/site/androiddevelopmentproject/home/rf-signal-tracker

rapidcharger

so you think Verizon made its customers pay more for the XLTE switch? try again, my bill was the same rate both before and after by many months during the XLTE Switch.)))

Did I say that?

(((show me the IP also, i see you cut that out. you will be the FIRST T-Mobile i have EVER seen touch 30% near that. )))

I didn't cut the IP address out! It doesn't show it. Honest.

e

(((and as of now, Atlanta is NOT the only part providing XLTE, go read the list for areas in GA and the rest of the country with XLTE Service. )))

The problem with Verizon is they like to talk the talk but not walk the walk. Where are your speed tests? Lets take a look at those.

((("they like to promote it and charge you for it but actually providing that service.... not so much."

^ ^ ^ just about as obvious as saying, i want a cheese burger, get charged for one and get a plain hamburger. )))

I agree. If I order a cheeseburger and pay for a cheeseburger. I should get a cheeseburger.

(((

and 584 MB of data took 90 seconds? should have taken no more than 65-70 seconds..... someone has consistency issues :) )))

And someone has some reading comprehension issues.
I didn't say it took 90 seconds.
I said it was downloaded in "under 90 seconds".
Under 90 seconds could be 89 seconds or it could be 65 seconds or it could be 12 seconds.

(((T-Mobile actually DOES roam off other towers. INCLUDING Verizon towers.)))
You talking about colocation or are you suggesting that GSM is able to magically roam on Verizon's CDMA technology?

((("On August 21, 2012, the FCC approved a deal between T-Mobile and Verizon in which T-Mobile gains additional AWS spectrum licenses in 125 Cellular Market Areas."

Source: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2012/db0823/FCC-12-95A1.pdf

And?

why don't you send out a cross country test and lets see how fast you get? )))

Are you going to paypal me the funds to conduct that test? Or do I need to start a GoFundMe?

I've had the phone for a week now. Just relax.

(((the sheer likeliness of you hitting a Verizon tower in that test, is almost 90%. and you wont know either what tower you are hitting unless you have the ability to decode the tower's base code. which, unless you work on the towers, you wont.

The tower ID is shown in another app called Open Signal. I'm sure you've heard of it. And I can't even send a text message with verizon with a "verizon tower" and I still do have a verizon phone. I'm under contract with them for 2 more agonizing months. If I'm finally getting verizon service with my t-mobile phone, that's fine. Just as long as I'm paying t-mobile rates and getting t-mobile customer service and tech support.

CapStar362

what phone are you using on T-Mobile? if its the I-Pharted 6 you don't have to switch anything... it does it for you. they have both GSM And CDMA in the radio's firmware.

plus the deal with T-Mobile and Verizon, they put GSM on Verizon towers just for that reason.

OH: if it IS the I-Phart 6, enjoy the 2 year old technology sets ;)

no joke, Nexus 4 has the SAME set of features as the I-Phart 6, but apple decided to call them "New and Innovative" to the mobile market anyways..... gotta love marketing hype huh.

Source: my own Nexus 4

CapStar362

just capped this speed test in fort myers. standard LTE 4G. the older one was done just outside of KATL on X-LTE. Done at longer range for comparison. will get another.

uploadfromtaptalk1431441680560.jpguploadfromtaptalk1431441706896.jpg

vstream02

I have tmobile...I have NEVER roamed on VZW. I have a Nexus6. Only ATT and Bell/Rogers in Canada. It does show up along Sprint in my network search. It never connects. I'm a flight attendant so i do get around all over the US.

CapStar362

it doesn't connect because your APN settings are defaulting to T-Mobile. Nexus 6 has both GSM and CDMA, thus why it can see the Sprint, but without the APN info programmed into the mobile data options, it will not connect to it.

i can see just about any tower with my phone, but without the APN info and the accounts, it will not connect to it.

do you frequent places with good T-Mobile coverage? Houston has a good area of coverage from T-Mobile.

being a flight attendant means your going to be at airports, where cell coverage is top notch. i promise you at 80% of the carriers are within a couple miles of every airline serviced airport with a tower or at least 2.

rapidcharger

xe-firsta.jpg
and i still want to see that ip rapid

Sent from that thing called a mobile posting machine.

LMAO. Are you serious?! You really think I'm "roaming on verizon" :lol:

Let met break this down for you in terms that even a Verizon call center call taker can understand...

Roaming: Not roaming
Roaming = False.

I Do apologize.
xe-firstb.jpg

xe-middlea.jpg
Over the weekend, I was in the N. GA Mts, and I brought my Verizon phone and Tmobile phone for comparison.

By the way, my new phone is an HTC One. The verizon phone is a Samsung galaxy s4.
Notice the time the shots were taken. Both at the same time, in the same place.
Verizon has no signal while T-mobile has 3 bars which I confirmed by making multiple phone calls.
Definitely not roaming and certainly not roaming on Verizon. I don't know where you got that from. If you don't believe this, I can give you the exact location I was and you can go see for yourself.

xe-middleb.jpg

rapidcharger

Oh and I just got a tablet and I promptly put it on the Data Strong Network.
Please refer to the image below where you will see evidence of not only my connectivity to T-mobile with tablet but you will also see the reflection of my HTC phone in the picture as well.

And here are a couple more screen shots from over the weekend.
Nice the times they were taken, at exactly the same time.

1 bar of verizon versus 3 bars on tmobile.
Despite showing 1 bar, the verizon phone couldn't get a call to go through.

Attachments

• xe_last.jpg
    xe_last.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 245
  • xe-middlec.jpg
    xe-middlec.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 241
  • xe-middled.jpg
    xe-middled.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 223
Status
Not open for further replies.