Pro-95 display & battery issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

radunn

The Pro95's been flawless for 10+ years. It's attached to a headboard so I never look at the display when turning it on. Yesterday I decided to connect it to a dipole antenna and noticed the display issue. Having adjusted the contrast level to its highest mode the display is very feint. I disassembled the unit looking for something that might be obvious but found nothing. I removed the 3 screws that secure the pcb/lcd screen and didn't notice anything extraordinary. I used contact cleaner on the ac-adapter pin and pins that have direct connections. Don't know if this helped but when I turned it on it was slightly more visible. Initially before disassembling vertical bars were present (instead of text) during transmission.

Where it stands now is that I see a ribbon at the top of the LED plate. The other issue is that the battery holder does not work. It works fine with the Pro106.

Any and all help is appreciated; in advance thanks!

Septa3371CSX1

When you say the battery holder doesn't work in the Pro 95 but works in the Pro 106, do you mean to say that when you put the batteries in the Pro 95 nothing happens but the same holder and set of batteries work fine in the Pro 106? Have you tried different holders and/or batteries to see if that works or doesn't work? If nothing else works then it sounds like a short in a wire going from the board to the battery terminals.

As for the display, has it been exposed to water at all? I recently sold a Pro 164 where the display screen stopped working after being out in the rain for a few minutes.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
As for the LCD issue, likely suspects are the backlight itself, or the voltage that sets the contrast.

radunn

When you say the battery holder doesn't work in the Pro 95 but works in the Pro 106, do you mean to say that when you put the batteries in the Pro 95 nothing happens but the same holder and set of batteries work fine in the Pro 106? Have you tried different holders and/or batteries to see if that works or doesn't work? If nothing else works then it sounds like a short in a wire going from the board to the battery terminals.

As for the display, has it been exposed to water at all? I recently sold a Pro 164 where the display screen stopped working after being out in the rain for a few minutes.
RE: Batteries, I applied a small amount of contact cleaner to the contacts. So far it's working
RE: Display, for months the scanner was attached to a head board so when I turned it on/off I was not looking at the display; only discovered the issue when attempting to connect it to a dipole antenna.

This is the only issue with the scanner. I was told by a RS employee that there is no longer a customer service ctr. and am wondering where it can be repaired or if it will be cost effective?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If it is the backlight, you replace it. If the problem is the contrast voltage, that would need to be troubleshot to find out what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.