• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola astro spectra reading "service"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMGRN901

Hello all,
I'm trying to read a radio that I have never had a problem reading before. When I go to read the radio (hooked up to rib via serial port) I hear the radio beep, the display reads "service", then a "communication with radio failed". The radio is a motorola astro spectra vhf 110watt, the programming cable is hooked to the middle port, power cable and remote head radio hooked up in their appropriate spots... I'm at a loss. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

vans113

Premium Subscriber
this is a remote mount correct? not sure about these radios , but with dealing with the apx line up and remote mount installed radios when the remote head reads service. the radio itself "the brick" has loss power. I'd check power at the radio itself if it's anything like those.

TMGRN901

Yes, this is a trunk mount radio. I just checked all connections including power and all are secure. I'm still having the same issue. How ever I forgot to mention, after the cps error "communication with radio failed" comes up. "1 CSQ" shows on the radio with the "1" blinking. I then turned the radio off then on again, tried to read it again, "service" reads, the error messages pops up then radio restarts.

vans113

Premium Subscriber
that's very odd, I don't have much experience with these radios mainly the newer ones, everytime I've ran into this issue what I said above fixed it. hopefully somebody can chime in.

xmo

If the radio is actually an Astro Spectra Plus, it will say so in the control head display during self test when you power it up.

If it is, you need to program it with Astro 25 CPS, not Astro Spectra CPS.

TMGRN901

I just looked at it does in fact display "SPECTRA+" during the self check on start up. I also happen to have Astro 25 Mobile CPS Version R19.01.00, however when I go to read the radio, nothing with the radio happens and the error (Open Radio Failed, Error context 24, Status C000039e) pops up. I'm using a MAXTON model: RPC-MRIB connected to pc via serial port.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Astro Pc comms

What operationg system are you using? Win 7 doesn't work with cps and most usb serial cords. Try an xp computer.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Win 7

Didn't work for me win 7 64bit ribless cord and the most current cps. Tried it with compatibility mode and no joy. Tried it on another win 7 32 bit no joy. Worked finally on laptop with xp sp-2.

cabletech

The spectra cps will work in Win 7 AS LONG AS IT IS 32 bit and the computer has a true serial port.

Other wise you MUST use Xp with either a true serial port OR a USB to serial adaptor.

A stright USB cable I have hard nothing but errors and problems with.

Status
Not open for further replies.