BCD536HP power issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
So the scanner I never turn off went off when the power was lost in my area. ...but when the electricity returned, my radio never powered back on. I have tried the obvious like plugging into an alternate receptacle, switching power adapters (my 996xt is supposed to be the same adapter), wiggling the power connector, etc. The unit is plugged into a surge suppressor power strip and none of my other electronics in the same power strip (or in my house) were affected. I also searched these forums in the event there is a known simple trick that I'm not familiar with.

It appears that I will have to send this "early release" radio in for service. I went to the Uniden site to look for a phone number. Nope ...and many of the links related to customer service and support were not working. I was able to find where I could submit my info to send it for the headphone recall, but I don't think that will get me what I want (although this would probably be the time to get that done, too.)

1) Is there something I am missing that will get it to power on so I don't have to send it in?

2) Who do I call & where do I send it?

I also recall something about a warranty extended for the early released radios.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
https://repair.uniden.com/repairInstruct.cfm

I've seen reports where a power outage may have corrupted the SD card. Hopefully this is all it is for you.

You could try getting a new SD card, formatting it, installing the needed files from Sentinel and see if that doesn't fix the problem. Most computers have card reader ports, so you could set the new card up completely away from the scanner.

Voyager

Or try removing the card and see if it powers on (you will get an error, but it's only a test).

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
That was it! Still had the original SD card. Read where others were having corruption issues with them. Thought I was just lucky. Should have considered that, as well. ...Duh!

Once I took the card out and started it, the display showed no card. Formatted one from an old phone and all is well. ...Even made a backup SD!

Thank you both for the assistance

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
wmlovell
I had same thing happen to me with 536HP during power outages here a couple of months ago on 3 different occasions. Always did what Voyager recommends. Remove SD card, scanner comes on, reformatted card (or put new one in), reload data, and problem resolved.
Many of us have found over the last couple of years using these new scanners with SD cards just how much the scanner function depends on the SD card. This is particularly true with the 536HP. Many, including myself, have experienced much better scanning performance in terms of speed and other functions by replacing the stock SD card with better quality, higher capacity cards.
If the scanner seems screwed up, one of the first places to look at is possible SD card corruption. That accounts for the majority of problems like this.

gonzalu

I would never have imagined a corrupt SD card would prevent the radio from powering on at all and telling me the card was corrupt ... very sad state of affairs if this is the best technology can do.

Thank you all for the posts above... I was about to return it LOL.

Voyager

Reminds me of one of the best lines in comedy TV. It came from the series "WKRP In Cincinnati". A woman called in to complain that they were off the air and didn't make the announcement that they were off the air on the air. The reply was "How can we announce we are off the air when we are off the air?"

Maybe Uniden should just display a Blue Screen like Windows? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.