Owasso to upgrade to P-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Someone needs to be thanked for sticking with the State system and not going mototrbo.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Story in today's Tulsa World says they are just getting financials in order to start the process. Motorola advised them there current system would be unsupported by 2017. Now what will Tulsa do?

peterjmag

Here is a link to the article...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/communiti...cle_cf2d0b0d-8134-56a8-8974-0dc1092f18fd.html

Tulsa will probably do the same. In fact most agencies are ready. The City is issuing E.J. Johnson Viking VP900 radios that will do everything from VHF, UHF, 800, P-25 Phase 1 and 2 etc. Got to look at one the other day at the NWS when I was doing net control for skywarn. It had ham radio as well 800. Pretty cool stuff.

Here is a link and youtube video to the radios being issued. The one at the NWS is lime green.

https://www.efjohnson.com/products/portables/VP900

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l5yPUMVat8

I would say its probably time to look for a digital P25 scanner in the metro. Right now would be a good time to get one since Radio Shack closed a ton of stores with them being sold as low as $179.99. I got one on ebay for $199.99 shipped.

henrybravo

KG5NMJ
Resurrecting this old thread to mention that Owasso PD is now exclusively on P25 (the switchover occurred sometime during the last week or so). I'm still hearing FD on the old Type II system.

SCPD

QRT
Tulsa will probably do the same. In fact most agencies are ready. The City is issuing E.J. Johnson Viking VP900 radios that will do everything from VHF, UHF, 800, P-25 Phase 1 and 2 etc. Got to look at one the other day at the NWS when I was doing net control for skywarn. It had ham radio as well 800. Pretty cool stuff.

Since when did ham radio have privileges on 800 mhz? They don't.

N5TWB

Since when did ham radio have privileges on 800 mhz? They don't.

You need to read what PJ wrote again. He was noting that a specific EFJ radio had wide capabilities and was programmed to use all of them, including the ham band. He did not say ham radio had any authorization in the 800 band. I was there when he was looking at that radio at the National Weather Service. They have the radio for use when surveying storm damage so they can interface with multiple agencies that use varying frequencies. Many of the staff at the Tulsa NWS office are hams.

In short, lighten up, Francis.

roxcomrox

Call me crazy but 31024 TPD Riverside Division Dispatch (7-G) has gone silent and not on 2 sites I can hear. The P25 TG is live and active but the analog version isn't simulcasting this morning. Anyone else?

roxcomrox

Stopped and talked to a TPD radio tech this morning. All 3 sides are now on the P25 towers and simulcasting will stop soon. The old system is so overloaded in Tulsa and sadly the P25 network with Owasso, TPD, TFD, and Creek is getting crowded already. For those of us with a mixed bag programmed it really sucks on how some P25 Traffic is handled better than others. How soon before TPD goes dark on the old system I wonder? The BA P25 link was fun to hear BA and TPD communicating without dispached having to be in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
Call me crazy but 31024 TPD Riverside Division Dispatch (7-G) has gone silent and not on 2 sites I can hear. The P25 TG is live and active but the analog version isn't simulcasting this morning. Anyone else?

I have not experienced any problems with TPD 31024 (7-G) Dispatch

plaws

Premium Subscriber
For those of us with a mixed bag programmed it really sucks on how some P25 Traffic is handled better than others.

Undoubtedly you are running into the simulcast issue. Bound to show up once we started seeing significant usage on busy P25 sites ...

Status
Not open for further replies.