San Diego Police SWAT Terminology Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenS

Hi All,

I just had a lingering question that I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me. Even after scanning for over 25 years, you find there is still a ton you don't know. :)
So, here it goes.
Whenever SDPD has a Code 11 and the scene starts to be handled by SWAT, I immediately notice the use of the term "PRT" and "PRT Team Leader". Can some one tell me what "PRT" stands for, and what specifically is the role of this designator? Probably a dumb question, I know. But every time there is a SWAT callout I get so entrenched in listening that I ultimately forget to ask this question. Now, that I remembered, hopefully I can scratch this one off of my list.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hi All,

I just had a lingering question that I was hoping someone might be able to answer for me. Even after scanning for over 25 years, you find there is still a ton you don't know. :)
So, here it goes.
Whenever SDPD has a Code 11 and the scene starts to be handled by SWAT, I immediately notice the use of the term "PRT" and "PRT Team Leader". Can some one tell me what "PRT" stands for, and what specifically is the role of this designator? Probably a dumb question, I know. But every time there is a SWAT callout I get so entrenched in listening that I ultimately forget to ask this question. Now, that I remembered, hopefully I can scratch this one off of my list.

According to SDPD's website the acronym PRT means Primary Response Team. It's just another way to say "SWAT". Out here, we refer to them as "SAU" which is the "Special Assignments Unit". In reality though, they are the SWAT team - just a different name.

-AZ

karldotcom

SD SWAT | SD SWAT Golf Tournament | San Diego, CA

The San Diego SWAT Team is made up of 80-100 San Diego police officers, both full and part-time. The full time team makes up the Special Response Team (SRT) which includes the hostage rescue team. The SRT is also responsible for leading training for the team and the entire police department on specialized topics.

The part time SWAT officers make up two teams, the snipers and the Primary Response Team (PRT). The snipers are comprised of sharpshooters and intelligence collectors highly trained in their specialization. The PRT is made up of the remaining members of the SWAT team. The PRT makes the San Diego SWAT team unique as it enables the quick deployment of a response team at any time of day. At any given time there are at least seven members of the SWAT team on patrol in the city. Because of this, these officers are ready to deploy quickly to a situation with the needed training and equipment.

SWAT team responsibilities include: confronting heavily armed criminals, hostage rescue, disaster events, mob and riot containment, underwater evidence recovery, special trauma and rescue, and law enforcement training.
The team operates with specialized equipment such as body armor, entry tools, armored vehicles, personal protective gear, surveillance equipment and advanced weapons.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Ah... Karl's better at the Googles than I am. ;)

Interesting. Phoenix has a similar setup now that I think of it, except the acronym used is "QRT" but it's basically the same idea - regular patrol officers with SAU training and equipment who can drop what they are doing at a moment's notice and respond to any incident in their dispatch area that requires SAU resources.I'm sure plenty of other departments around the country have similar teams deployed.

Learned something new today, thanks Karl! :)
-AZ

seh911

Feed Provider

StevenS

Hi SEH911,

Yeah, I am aware of the PERT units. These are strictly SWAT scenarios that I am remembering, so definitely was PRT in these cases.

Somewhat related to your response, I have another question that just popped into my mind. Your response just reminded me of this question. Here it goes.

Whenever there is a particularly violent crime/situation that just occurred, units at the scene will sometimes request "crisis" to come to the scene. I recently heard this a few weeks ago when a suicidal man shot himself while his girlfriend was home. They requested "crisis" to come to the scene to aid the female. Now, I have heard these units requested to the scene at times over the years, but I was wondering if anyone knows the specifics of these units? Are crisis units a special type of trained professional that is non-sworn civilian? Are they sworn police officers with special training? Are they an offshoot of PERT? Do they have actual unit designators besides "crisis" or is this the only designator they go by?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to get some of these lingering questions resolved.

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
They operate under Volunteer Services
Crisis Intervention Volunteers assist police by responding to scenes to assist citizens who have been affected by a crime or other critical incident. Provide emotional and logistical support, referrals, resources. They are mostly civilians but I know of one officer that volunteers with them.

Qualifications: 21 years or older; communicate well with people; good driving record; valid CA drivers license; personal vehicle with insurance. They receive specialized training from the department.
They receive radio training but communicate mostly by phone. During training they use CRISIS plus a number for a call sign.

seh911

Feed Provider
They operate under Volunteer Services
Crisis Intervention Volunteers assist police by responding to scenes to assist citizens who have been affected by a crime or other critical incident. Provide emotional and logistical support, referrals, resources. They are mostly civilians but I know of one officer that volunteers with them.

Qualifications: 21 years or older; communicate well with people; good driving record; valid CA drivers license; personal vehicle with insurance. They receive specialized training from the department.
They receive radio training but communicate mostly by phone. During training they use CRISIS plus a number for a call sign.
If anyone is interested San Marcos is recruiting volunteers now:
The San Marcos Fire Department is seeking volunteers for the trauma support team.
An informational meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 28 from 6 to 8 pm at San Marcos Fire Station #1, 180 W. Mission Road.

Status
Not open for further replies.