• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

EFJ 5100 sudden loss of TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

methusaleh

Radio is a VHF model, has worked flawlessly since I obtained it from a fellow ham a year or so ago.

All of a sudden it does not appear to transmit. The LED turns red as if it's transmitting, but no RF seems to be coming out. I even put a frequency counter right up to the antenna and it does not register a signal.

The last time I used the radio was the first time I tried out a (new to me) speaker mic with it. Not sure if I screwed something up with that. All of the pins on that speaker mic match the ones on my other identical speaker mic, and the newly-acquired speaker mic works fine on my other radio.

Any ideas without opening up the radio ?

ecps92

Interesting

I have one that stopped as well, never tied it to the Accessories, but I did try a "M" Surv Kit on mine and that was when I noticed it had stopped transmitting on all bands.

Other than bringing it to a shop, wonder what can be done...

Radio is a VHF model, has worked flawlessly since I obtained it from a fellow ham a year or so ago.

All of a sudden it does not appear to transmit. The LED turns red as if it's transmitting, but no RF seems to be coming out. I even put a frequency counter right up to the antenna and it does not register a signal.

The last time I used the radio was the first time I tried out a (new to me) speaker mic with it. Not sure if I screwed something up with that. All of the pins on that speaker mic match the ones on my other identical speaker mic, and the newly-acquired speaker mic works fine on my other radio.

Any ideas without opening up the radio ?

jim202

If you take the speaker mic off the radio and use the side PTT button, does it still not transmit?

Do you have a way of listening to the output frequency or go to a simplex channel, can you hear the transmitter and voice on the second radio?

If so, there is a chance the antenna is not making a connection to the circuit board. People have a bad habit of using the antenna as a way of picking up the radio. This causes undue strain to the circuit board and can cause damage to the electrical connections.

Not saying this is the problem, but it's a bad habit to be in.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
EF Johnson 5100

I have several of these on different bands. When I had this problem a couple of years ago, the fix I was given was to open the radio and carefully remove the ribbon cables. Clean the ends with a soft eraser or even just a soft cloth. I was able to return a couple of radios to service and even made one good radio from 2 parts radios I bought for $10 each.

ecps92

a. Yes - no TX with or without the external accessories
b. Yes - both Freq Counter, Close-Call and Scanners and other Radios on the TX Freq
c. Yes a bad habit, but your talking to two folks who know better (both the OP and myself) ;)

If you take the speaker mic off the radio and use the side PTT button, does it still not transmit?

Do you have a way of listening to the output frequency or go to a simplex channel, can you hear the transmitter and voice on the second radio?

If so, there is a chance the antenna is not making a connection to the circuit board. People have a bad habit of using the antenna as a way of picking up the radio. This causes undue strain to the circuit board and can cause damage to the electrical connections.

Not saying this is the problem, but it's a bad habit to be in.

mancow

Database Admin
Some older units had a problem in the RF section that caused them to fail. I had one that had that happen and I had to send it in for repair.

methusaleh

a. Yes - no TX with or without the external accessories
b. Yes - both Freq Counter, Close-Call and Scanners and other Radios on the TX Freq
c. Yes a bad habit, but your talking to two folks who know better (both the OP and myself) ;)

Ditto here. No TX with or without the speaker mic. Nothing heard on a scanner with Close Call, or a freq counter. Not even a harmonic somewhere above VHF.

Radio may have been bumped around slightly on a shelf when not in use, but was not dragged around by the antenna.

I will have to try the suggestion of cleaning the ribbon cable contacts-- thank you!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
ecps92, what did you mean by "all bands". Other than the 700/800 public service radios, I thought all 5100s were single band.

ecps92

I look at the VHF as broken into 3 bands for this radio
138-150 - tried my Amateur w/o luck
150-160 - tried my Part 90 w/o luck
160-174 - tried my NTIA w/o luck

Was hoping it was something peculiar to the band, just like the UHF where you can't FPP Part 90, but can 380-450 :)

ecps92, what did you mean by "all bands". Other than the 700/800 public service radios, I thought all 5100s were single band.

methusaleh

Thanks to all who have read and responded.

I have no updates, nothing has changed with the radio. Tried different antennae just for the heck of it.

Is there a service manual online, or disassembly instructions? I could not find any. I am ready to open 'er up at this point.

methusaleh

Update: Someone pointed me where to find how to put the radio into a sort of service/test tune mode. I followed the directions precisely and could not get it to work. I tried all buttons on the radio while the power was cycling on, but it never went into that mode.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.