Radio Shack pro 106 I need a little help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamain

Hi Guys

I have a Radio Shack pro 106 I'm needing the freq for the Vandalia IL City police my scanner used to pick it up but they changed freq. I bought my scanner used and dnt know how to program it or where can I download the freq onto my scanner? The guy I bought the scanner from on Ebay had it all programmed for me
if you can help me I would be VERY grateful I dont understand how to program this scanner
plz email me with the help or the free downloadable freq to jlmain1993@yahoo.com

Thank you very much
Jeff US ARMY VET

Redneck0410

Hi Guys

I have a Radio Shack pro 106 I'm needing the freq for the Vandalia IL City police my scanner used to pick it up but they changed freq. I bought my scanner used and dnt know how to program it or where can I download the freq onto my scanner? The guy I bought the scanner from on Ebay had it all programmed for me
if you can help me I would be VERY grateful I dont understand how to program this scanner
plz email me with the help or the free downloadable freq to jlmain1993@yahoo.com

Thank you very much
Jeff US ARMY VET

You won't hear them... They're on Starcom P25 Phase II, which the Pro-106 won't recieve. See here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=616

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
You won't hear them... They're on Starcom P25 Phase II, which the Pro-106 won't recieve. See here: Fayette County, Illinois (IL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

This statement is probably incorrect. STARCOM21 is a P25 Phase II capable system, but does not automatically mean that it operates with Phase II voice. A Pro-106 will receive transmissions as long as they continue to operate with Phase I voice, which it looks like a vast majority of the system as indicated by the D Mode next to many talkgroups.

If you're looking to program by hand, I found the Youtube videos pretty good as a starting point. You'll definitely want to expand from there as you learn as they don't always teach you everything. The Easier to Read Manual linked above is an excellent resource for learning what you can do with your scanner. For STARCOM21 and the location you have requested, it would appear Site 3-030 Vandalia. It would appear that they operate on Talkgroup 8076.

EDIT - Misread the original post, the next section is about programming from scratch.

Here's a quick start guide. You are programming (PGM) a NEW talkgroup (TGRP). First, assign it to a Scan Lists you want to keep it in, shown by the little * next to the number. This will be the number you need to see when you press SCAN to listen to it. It defaults to 01 automatically, but you can assign it wherever and to however many lists you want. You want to first program a NEW trunked system (TSYS). Make sure it's of TYPE: P25 AUTO. Now you want to Tag the system with a name you want to know it by, STARCOM21 or something like a county name could be a place to start. Typing the name is where it gets interesting, you need to press the button with the letter you want followed by the place it is in. If you want S, then press 7 (PQRS) and then 4 since it's #4. If I want T, press 8 (TUV) and then 1 since it's first. Now enter the red and blue frequencies found in the link above for Vandalia. If you want numbers, press 1 and then the number you want. Now save your trunked system and you will return to the TGRP menu. Set the ID to the talkgroup ID (8076). Once again, Tag it with something you want to know it by. Now Save it. Press SCAN, make sure whatever Scan List you assigned earlier is showing. If you listen and hear something (it could take time), then you have successfully hand programed your first talkgroup!

EDIT - I misread your post and noticed you want to edit something existing. If you want to edit something, you should EDIT the TSYS instead. You should verify that the frequencies from the above link is entered. If they are and you still don't hear anything, then you might want to try to listen to them using TUNE or Analyz function if you know how to operate those. If you can't hear anything (it should sound like random noise), then they may have changed frequencies. You might want to try some of the gray frequencies in the above link. If that doesn't work, then you will probably have to do a little hunting or asking around over at the Illinois Radio Discussion Forum to see if they know anything.

Last edited:

shadcall

To add to what Spitfire posted you will find that Phase II is mostly being used in the Chicago area. Since Vandalia is downstate you should be able to receive them. There is a Starcom tower for Vidalia. Just check the chart and enter those frequencies and the talkgroup for the local police. I did not see anything for the fire department or EMS so I assume that they are still on their conventional frequencies.

jamain

Hi Guys

It worked for my pro 106 I took the scanner to a guy I know that sells scanners and he also
works on cb radios he programed my scanner I now can pick up Vandalia IL city police
I just want to thank Spitfire and Shadcall for all your help I owe you guys one

Take care
Jeff US ARMY VET

Status
Not open for further replies.