Siren APP and the BCD536HP 1st imoressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
Well I decided to play around with the Siren APP on 1 of my BCD536HPs. After an initial problem updating the WIFI dongle to the correct firmware, Windows 7 problem, I got everything setup on Tuesday night.The first thing I noticed was about a 1 second delay in the audio on my iPhone and iPad compared to the audio from the scanner itself. I can understand the delay and it really doesn't matter to me.

The received audio on my iPhone is identical to what I hear from the scanner. The operation of the APP is very simple.The only thing I didn't think about was having to tell the APP what the IP address the dongle was.This was easy to determine. I just went into the WIFI information screen on the scanner and it told me the IP address. I also went into my router's setup screen and verified it there.

I have tried to send any commands to the scanner yet though but as of right now I am very impressed with the operation of the Siren APP and the WIFI dongle. It was worth the wait for Uniden to get everything straightened out before releasing the APP first.

Voyager

The delay is caused by the scanner sending the audio data over the network. That will happen with any audio streaming.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
The delay is caused by the scanner sending the audio data over the network. That will happen with any audio streaming.

Thanks for the info but as I stated in my post " I can understand the delay and it really doesn't matter to me."

GrandpaFrank

That app leaves alot to be desired (when it works), I think it was just rushed out to silence the repeated cries of foul for lack of the advertised feature.

XTS3000

At least the app is out and has been approved by Apple. Future updates to the app won't take nearly as long to be approved.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
That app leaves alot to be desired (when it works), I think it was just rushed out to silence the repeated cries of foul for lack of the advertised feature.

I've used the APP on both my iPhone 6 and my iPad Air 2. As far as I can tell the operation, audio streaming, in it's present version is identical to what I hear sitting in front of the scanner. I haven't tried to make any changes to the programming like skipping a talk group or anything like that or controlling the scanner remotely. I just listen for a couple minutes just to basically to see if it is still working.

Mrthor3232

Premium Subscriber
I would love to

I would love to use the siren app but they are taking to long to get the Android version out. It should not be hard to get the Android version out

whooey

Sorry for the quasi-dumb question, I can't find the answer anywhere.

If my 536 is hooked up to my home wifi and running, will the app work on my phone 10 miles away?

Very exciting, I may start to actually use my 536, LOL. (Listen to my GRE's due to better audio)

Voyager

It will if you:

1) Set up your router to allow access to the 536

or

2) Wait for the update that will support remote operation (as opposed to local).

On the audio, have you tried the latest update? The vast majority of users report much improved audio.

whooey

It will if you:

or

2) Wait for the update that will support remote operation (as opposed to local).

On the audio, have you tried the latest update? The vast majority of users report much improved audio.

Thank you for your reply. :wink:

I am looking forward to installing the update. I have not done it yet, I will on Monday for sure. I love the scanner, better audio would make it near perfect for my needs.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
It will if you:

or

Have your router and iPhone set up using VPN than you can use it outside of your home network.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Minus1

I cannot even see where to start. Where is the link to the latest firmware? What is the latest firmware? My scanner shows version 4.06. The complete lack of basic instructions for setting this up is appalling.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The Android app is in development in China but the developer has to learn English first.

I don't believe that is accurate.

FWIW, Upman uses an Android phone, so I'm sure he is just as desirous as other Android folks are.

Voyager

It's not accurate. I imagine that's why the smiley was in the topic line.

ricp

More on Internet

I can program my roter to port forward, but:
what port is the WiFi dongle using and is it UDP or TCP or both
will the Siren app I address accept the format 192.168.1.22:xxxx ?
Any other suggestions ?
Thanks
Ric

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
The Android app is in development in China but the developer has to learn English first.

No, indeed that is not accurate. I heard that the Android app in being developed in China. but the developer does not need to learn English. The app will be in Chinese only.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.