536 new

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmartinfan

Banned
Just picked one of these units up. Wow, highly disappointed in this unit. Uniden has gone wayyyyyyy downhill since the 996t series radios.

My unit won't even scan anymore. It just sits there

"Scan Mode, Nothing to Scan"

It has radio talk groups in it, but hell if I know what happened to them.

No idea what to do about this junk of metallic junk.

Hope the entire team of Uniden people are kicked to the curb over these radios.

Flag ship of Uniden, hahahahahah flagship of junk

trunker

Just picked one of these units up. Wow, highly disappointed in this unit. Uniden has gone wayyyyyyy downhill since the 996t series radios.

BCDX36HP Scanning checklist

Boatanchor

It's a bit harsh to call a scanner a peice of junk because you don't know how to use it, don't ya think?
If the display shows 'Nothing to Scan', it is pretty self explanatory one would think.

There is a learning curve involved in configuring these scanners, primarily because of the complexity of todays digital radio systems.

Like many other new x36HP owners, I got tricked by the 'Service type' feature. I had most of the Service types disabled (locked out) and so I wasn't hearing a lot of what was going on either to start with. Moving from the x96XT to the x36HP involved quite a learning curve for me too.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree this is more of a learning issue than it is a hardware issue.

There are numerous excellent videos on YouTube concerning the 536 scanner. Also, K4DPS is really good about posting videos on topics when folks request them and he explains things quite well.

Give it a little more time and patience and you'll be swearing by this scanner rather than swearing at it:)

marksmith

Sounded to me like someone who doesn't know what they bought, or maybe didn't buy anything at all. Just posting.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Post #1 is kind of like me getting in the cockpit of an F-35 Lightning II. Hey, this F-35 is a POS.
No Steve (to myself), I just know nothing about the plane. Its amazing how good some technology gets when you spend time learning how to use it.

Voyager

And of course you've enabled all the Service Types, right? And enabled any Quick Keys you've assigned? The scanner will only scan what you tell it to scan. If you tell it to scan nothing, it's going to scan nothing. That doesn't make it junk. Also might want to give the manual a quick glance over. Oddly, it has some operating tips that weren't installed in your brain from the factory.

About the only thing operationally different about the 536 over the 996T is the Favorite List and the Quick Key associated with it (a preceding 0-99. in front of the SQK). Think of the FL as a collection of Systems, and the Service Types are about the only other difference. Otherwise, it's just like your 996T only without all the memory limitations, with longer text tags, and other enhancements.

Last edited:

Educated guess here: The clock on your VCR is flashing "12:00"

Sounded to me like someone who doesn't know what they bought, or maybe didn't buy anything at all. Just posting.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Indeed. And someone who is a 12 year member with over 900 posts - why post in the Tavern, which is not for technical support?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Indeed. And someone who is a 12 year member with over 900 posts - why post in the Tavern, which is not for technical support?

He didn't. I moved it here from a different forum.

Do you see anywhere in his post where he asks for help? It's just a rant about how his new scanner doesn't work not a plea for help.

77Impala

I know my BCD396XT was frustrating to me but as already pointed out it was me not being familiar with the operations and programming steps that was the problem, nothing was wrong with the physical unit.

I cannot condemn a unit because I don't know how to operate or program it.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've found that the only two culprits that will cause a "Nothing to Scan" message are either not enabling Service Types or not setting FLs to On in the Scan Selection tab of the Profile.

Both can be frustrating at first, but once you figure that out, you know what you need to fix.

The OP apparently has a problem with today's sophisticated scanners. In computer terms it's PEBKAC, Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.