Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

55engine

Premium Subscriber
ou two guys thank you so much now the only question do we know if there in encryption it cuz I actually live in Connecticut but I go down to New York a lot and sometime this summer I like to get down to the island

ecps92

Best way to find out is to try it out.
ENC today, does not mean ENC tommorrow, many agencies it is selectable

ou two guys thank you so much now the only question do we know if there in encryption it cuz I actually live in Connecticut but I go down to New York a lot and sometime this summer I like to get down to the island

55engine

Premium Subscriber
y someday I'll have to go down to the Statue of Liberty I live in Bristol Connecticut which is no where near New York without taking the boat is there any best place to monitor them?

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Using radios on Liberty Island

Went to Statue of Liberty for the first time last summer. My wife and I took amateur handhelds and I also took a scanner. We were spending the weekend in the city and I was carrying them in a backpack. The radios were nearly confiscated or we almost had to leave. The agent and his boss wanted to know why we needed two-way radios. They wanted to know if any of the radios could listen to their frequencies. I told them I didn't know. I did not tell them that one of the radios was a scanner and they didn't pick up on it. They took all three radios to an office and then brought them back, gave them back to me, and allowed us to proceed but warned us not to bring the radios out into the open or to use them at all.

With the cellular infrastructure in the city no one with bad intentions is going to use walkie talkies when the cellular system is accessible and cell phones are ubiquitous. By these guys' way of thinking they should confiscate cell phones.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
You have to understand that in today's world the operative word in security is "cover your ***". No one wants to be the security person who let the little old lady go through a screening point without a pat-down only to see her blow-up killing 100's. Your liberty is the first casualty in the war on terrorism.

timekeeper

Hi, everyone. I agree 110% that our Liberty is the first casualty in the war on terrorism. But,terror is one hell of a weapon. KR3LC is right, If I had an evil intent I can think of a hundred diffirent forms of communication other the RF use to carry out the plan. Maybe it's just me, that incident may have been OVERKILL. A few years ago I took a flight out Newark, NJ (EWR) in my carry on I had a HT & a scanner. I was stopped by the TSA & PAPD, I showed them my Ham Ticket & two forms of ID. I only answered three questions and I was sent on my merry way. NO confiscated radio & NO interrogation. I know the situations are deffrent to some degree. But, Nation Security is Nation Security. So, If you see something say something. Keep alert, stay alive. All the best & God Bless. 73's

Status
Not open for further replies.