996P2 and Starcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Decided to give in to the hype and purchased another 996XT series scanner to my line-up. I did order and return the 536HP prior, but just not my cup of tea. Since Jeff at Hamstation get's a lot of positive reviews on the forum, ordered the 996P2 and was at my house in 2 days. Total including shipping was $389...best price out there!

Had to use the beta Freescan 2.18 V2, and had to download a new driver for the "new" USB cord that is included in the box! Once I got over a few humps, uploaded to the scanner and was all set. No fuss, everything is identical in programming and was up and running.

Previous reports on the Uniden Forums were that major improvements in the Simulcast systems and they are using a different vocoder in the P2 series. I was skeptical, so I plugged in Site 1-02 and thought "here we go!". Noticed an immediate improvement and the control channel has yet to drop. I still get some "digital garble", but this usually results in the dispatcher also hearing the garble, so it sounds like I'm hearing what they are hearing. I've yet to try a P2 site, but I like what I've heard so far.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you have read there are some problems copying P2 systems with false freqys showing up, also "Upman" said there working on a fix....Keep us informed on how it performs....Jeff at "Ham Station" is a great trust worthy guy....I was hearing today CPD 460.60 on what sounded like subway fire or "a drill" , good old freqy sounded great.....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you have read there are some problems copying P2 systems with false freqys showing up, also "Upman" said there working on a fix....Keep us informed on how it performs....Jeff at "Ham Station" is a great trust worthy guy....I was hearing today CPD 460.60 on what sounded like subway fire or "a drill" , good old freqy sounded great.....

I have been reading the forums on the "false frequency" images on P2 systems Ron. That seems to be an issue with true P2 systems, and fortunately we're still running non Phase 2 so far on site 102. I did notice a "Chicago area" site but so far it's not in use.

However, I was and still am pleasantly surprised the way it tracks these pesky simulcast systems we've had so many issues with over the years. It isn't perfect, but maybe with a couple more tweaks and maybe another firmware upgrade or two, you never know. I'll keep the Starcom listeners informed when a firmware upgrade becomes available.

scottmp03

996P2 uploading

Hi, just got a 996P2... i am lost!! LOL

I've downloaded the files from RR but as I see you wrote, I am having troubles with the newly supplied USB cable. I'm using the Butel software. It wants to find a serial port, can't find anything that matches the descriptoin to find the USB cable in the Uniden manual or Butels software.

What do I need to do?

Thanks!
Scott
firelteng7@yahoo.com

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Hi, just got a 996P2... i am lost!! LOL

I've downloaded the files from RR but as I see you wrote, I am having troubles with the newly supplied USB cable. I'm using the Butel software. It wants to find a serial port, can't find anything that matches the descriptoin to find the USB cable in the Uniden manual or Butels software.

What do I need to do?

Thanks!
Scott
firelteng7@yahoo.com

BCD996P2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Scott...scroll down a bit and you will see the driver download link. Make sure you unzip it and "save".

scottmp03

I have saved it and unzipped, but not working or installing correct. When I open the unzipped file it keep giving me a chart of computer jargon.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have saved it and unzipped, but not working or installing correct. When I open the unzipped file it keep giving me a chart of computer jargon.

Yes, I saw that too the first xxx times I did it..lol! I used WinZip and saved it and that seemed to have done the trick. I then restarted, plugged in cable and the computer recognized the cable and downloaded the driver. If you haven't done so Scott, check the Uniden Forum and it may be helpful. My computer recognized the cable immediately, but wouldn't recognize the driver initially. You'll get it, be patient.

Just to follow up on simulcast reception, was a little different yesterday but still more tolerable than my 996XT. I also found the hidden P25 Threshold setting (Turn on scanner and press and hold the Hold/Resume button). It's found under the Settings in the Menu. I was able to tweak it and made an improvement.

scottmp03

Thanks to another user on another thread I was able to install the driver. After I unzip the file I had to write click on the file that had the INF extension and that installs it in windows 8. No works prefect! Just have to figure out the software and the scanner. My opinion only the user Manual leaves a lot to be desired in understanding and being an aid!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I have my 996XT set at 8-50 on the digital decode levels and it decodes T102, 113, 125 99% perfect using my attic and outside antennas....Here in Joliet I can only receive T101-Lisle on the second floor using my 396XT with 800 duck!!!!....I can hear T126-Aurora using a attic antenna , 9913 coax and only on the RS197 digital base....Its a real trick.....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to another user on another thread I was able to install the driver. After I unzip the file I had to write click on the file that had the INF extension and that installs it in windows 8. No works prefect! Just have to figure out the software and the scanner. My opinion only the user Manual leaves a lot to be desired in understanding and being an aid!

I'm glad you were able to get it working Scott and passing along the info for those that will need it. I am using Windows 7 so that could have been an issue too.

I have my 996XT set at 8-50 on the digital decode levels and it decodes T102, 113, 125 99% perfect using my attic and outside antennas....Here in Joliet I can only receive T101-Lisle on the second floor using my 396XT with 800 duck!!!!....I can hear T126-Aurora using a attic antenna , 9913 coax and only on the RS197 digital base....Its a real trick.....

I know Ron, but hear smack dab in the middle of Site 102, just west of Midway, I always had problems with the scanners decoding this system properly and I have outdoor antennas in use. I've tried using the stock antenna over the years and just gave up. However the P2 versions of these 2 scanners, I've read they are using a different vocoder which is very noticeable here. I will still have an occasional drop out (UID and TG showing on the scanner, but no audio) , but it was more frequent on the "T" series, and a little less on the "XT" series. In the P2 scanners, there is a hidden menu called P25 Threshold. I've tinkered with that with some success too. I'm on the fence about buying the 325P2 only because it uses 2 AA batteries instead of the 396T/396XT using 3 AA batteries. My understanding is this handheld has the exact hardware to the 996P2 which is a good thing from what I heard so far, but it loses a lot of the features from the 396T/396XT models. Let's hope continuing improvements including TRBO decoding which appears to be more popular in Illinois.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Your correct as I think "Location" is very critical with simulcasting......I have thoughts of the 325P2 but waiting on a firmware revision and don't like also the (2) batt , that's stupid....My 396XT is "original" no firmware changes and its great.....

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Uniden releases new firmware to fix freqy problems on the 996P2 and 325P2.....

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Uniden releases new firmware to fix freqy problems on the 996P2 and 325P2.....

"Improves an issue where the scanner would go to an APCO Project 25 channel and not produce audio"

Will have to wait till tomorrow to download the update, but this part intrigued me. Sounds like the infamous simulcast issue we've mentioned. Anyone with the 325P2 out here..battery life?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Anyone with the 325P2 out here..battery life?

I get about 7 hours out of the stock batteries with the backlight set to squelch, volume between 8 and 10, listening to mostly P25 (a lot being P2).

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I get about 7 hours out of the stock batteries with the backlight set to squelch, volume between 8 and 10, listening to mostly P25 (a lot being P2).

That's pretty good actually. I did a test run with full batteries on my 396XT and got 7-1/2 hours off rechargeable batteries Analog/Digital listening). I'd miss the Alert features from the 396XT but P2 is making it's way round here eventually. Still on the fence about the 325 though, so just looking for opinions from users.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Wonder if there is anyone up near NWCD with a new 996P2 or 325P2 scanner with the new firmware installed monitoring the NWCD FD that is PhaseII digital and how the scanner follows the system??....I know the PD is "ENC" PhaseII.....

JT-112

FYI, NWCD FD channels swap between TDMA and FDMA quite a bit.

At times, all channels are TDMA. Other times, some channels are FDMA and others TDMA.

Sometimes, they're all FDMA.

Educated guess is that much of this has to do with the radios operated by mutual aid companies, but that doesn't explain 100% of this switching back and forth.

Bottom line, understand what mode you're listening to - they're changing constantly.

scottmp03

I'll have to install the new update for the 996P2 but I have had no audio quality issues with the current firmware for the NWCD fire channels. I'll update after I install.

Status
Not open for further replies.