Updated 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek install

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

The real update is finally drilling for a proper roof mounted NMO antenna. I went with the Laird ABSCANCS (150/450/800 MHz scanner antenna). I had it done at a radio shop because making the decision was easier knowing a professional was doing it.

My county is low band and the antenna does surprisingly well in that range. I was hearing my home county at the installer about 35 miles away as the crow flies. Since it does so well on low band, I retired the Hustler MOR antenna, but did leave the Tram 1199 glass-mount I recently installed in case I want to add a second radio down the road.

A few updated pics.

ac638a638fb7a72775cbf4e035955562.jpg
44e22cbde1e801f0a72a951e951f1fbf.jpg
548612a227659a64dba7c29f821c7cc8.jpg
514fa479113ed8563092a164230ea193.jpg
2b9ccc8963da5d0c7005e3db9be07a4a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Always nice to see a properly installed antenna. Personally, I think that looks much better than a mag mount with coax running through a door, or some kluged together bracket.

Looks nice.

N3JI

Very nice!! I use a very similar antenna for my portable (work vehicle, rentals, etc) setup on a mag mount, and have been pleased. It's long enough that it should have *some* VHF capability, and your experience confirms what I have seen as well.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Dave- Thanks for putting this up for all to see. Was glad to read in your email that this antenna is also turning out to be a much better VHF lowband performer than you expected. I know that has been a real quest for you until all (or most) of your agencies move off lowband. With the multiple scanners and antennas I've had over the years I've found that a good antenna outside the car is crucial, but that most good scanners will use that antenna over a very broad range of frequencies without much difficulty. One exception might be the low-profile "soup can" or "shark fin" style antennas which don't do well at lower frequencies. Anxious to hear from you how this does with 700 - 800 mHz (it should be simply amazing up there).

dmg1969

Thanks all. Yes, with the antenna being surprisingly receptive to low band, I won't have to worry about running a second scanner and antenna just to pick it up.

Mark, I will let you know how it does with PA's 700 MHz system. I don't hear a lot on a daily basis. When I did, it was good with the Hustler MOR, so it should be amazing with this antenna.

Elpablo

Hi Dave, Thanks for posting the pics and info about the low band performance. After a few more days has the antenna continued to live up to your expectations? Have you had any luck monitoring 700 or 800 Mhz systems with it? If so, please share your experience. Thanks!

KC8UQX

Nice an clean.

How hard was it to drop the headliner to get the roof mount in?

dmg1969

Elpablo, I still have not heard any traffic on 700MHz or 800MHz. The only system I monitor in that range is the PA Statewide 700MHz system for air to ground comms (PA State Police) and it is generally not that active in my area. There was activity the other day regarding the search for a bank robbery suspect, but I was here in the office......figures.

Low band seems pretty good for an antenna not intended to receive it. My county is still on low band and I usually get 3/4 if not 4/4 bars while in the county. It drops to 2/4 bars when I am here at work in another county about 17 miles away from the dispatch center.

The rest of what I monitor is a combination of VHF and UHF and they seem to have improved as well. The nearest site of the PA Statewide 700 MHz system is south of where I work, which is south of where I live. I start seeing the signal from the control channel much sooner on the way to work. I get 4/4 bars on that system sooner as well. I can also pull in neighboring counties' P25 and EDACS systems from further away.

I am still listening and learning the nuances of the reception of the different bands.

KC8UQX, I had the NMO installed by a radio shop, so I don't know. I don't believe that they dropped the whole thing. When I spoke with the owner to schedule, he said that usually try to drop just a portion of it and fish the coax to where needed. I was glad because the headliners in the XV Crosstreks are kind of like a fabric coated cardboard and are very easily creased and damaged. They did it and you would never know someone was in there.

Edit: Just for the fun of it, I am considering picking up the Larsen Tri-Band and comparing it to the Laird. We'll see...

Elpablo

Thanks Dave! I met with my radio shop and the ABSCANCS is no longer an option as my fender is too angled to support a NMO mount. I was hoping there was mount that could bring it to flat plain. My garage clearance prevents me from putting it on the roof. Please tell me how your low-band experience was with the Tram 1199 and any 700 quality you can speak to as this now has come into play as possible option. I appreciate you input. - Paul

dmg1969

Paul, what type of vehicle do you have? You could still use an NMO mount using either a fender mount http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/mobile-antenna-mounts-264/fender-bracket-mounts-268/ or a trunk lip mount (if you have a vehicle with a trunk) http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/mobile-antenna-mounts-264/trunk-lip-mounts-267/.

You wouldn't necessarily need the ABSCANCS (spring loaded base) in that event. You could just go with either the ASCANC (Chrome) or the ABSCABC (Black). I went with the spring loaded base because it is on the roof. Otherwise, I would have likely gone with the Larsen Tri-Band.

Don't discount using an NMO just yet. As far as low band with the Tram, it seemed decent. I never really used it as my primary antenna. Before deciding to go the NMO route, I used the Hustler MOR as my primary antenna and was experimenting with the reception of the Tram. To my recollection, I pulled in did fairly well on pulling in the local site of PA's Statewide 700 MHz system.

Again, you still have options to use an NMO without drilling into the fender.

Elpablo

Thanks Dave, I put much thinking and discussion with the radio shop into this and decided to go with a NMO mount on my roof. I have a 2015 Pilot which has about 9" clearance to my garage. 80% of what I listen too is 800 mhz so my primary antenna will be Moto stubby (HAF4013A). You made me realize the flexibility of a NMO mount. I can swap whips pretty easily and run a tri-band like the ABSCANCS when I want. Just need to makes sure to take it down before garaging! Install is a few weeks out but I'll post an update after I get it done. - Paul

dmg1969

Good to hear, Paul. It was a big step for me to drill for an NMO, but it pays off with better reception and interchangeability. I'm still considering getting a Larsen Tri-Band to swap it with the Laird to compare the two. I know, for many, the Larsen is the preferred tri-band antenna. Looking for ward to seeing your pics!

dmg1969

No, I never did get around to doing that. It's still on my list. I need to get online and order it.

KE0GXN

I keep reading good things about both. It seems like trying to spilt hairs on which one is better than the other....

Based on my needs I am leaning towards the Larsen. My purchase will not be for awhile.....may change my mind after your review...lol.

NodrogCop

Dave -

I have a Larsen Tri-band that I don't use anymore. If you PM me an address, I can get it out to you. I'm just down in NW Lancaster County. It's a little beat, but it's yours if you're interested.

Gordon

dmg1969

Dave -

I have a Larsen Tri-band that I don't use anymore. If you PM me an address, I can get it out to you. I'm just down in NW Lancaster County. It's a little beat, but it's yours if you're interested.

Gordon

PM sent, Gordon. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.