Open Mics are always dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
In my personal radios, I usually program my primary channel twice...once as receive only and one step up as tx/rx. I leave the radio "at rest" on the rx channel to prevent open mic. Not terribly practical in an on duty radio, but good for a radio you don't need to transmit on too often.

In New York City, they can turn the mixer off, preventing anyone but dispatch from hearing the field unit audio. That seems to be a rare feature in public safety radio systems though.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
We used to have that problem with MTS-2000's, the PTT was really touchy and we'd get a lot of dead keys from people sitting on their radios while driving. Usually pretty tame stuff, but occasionally....

Always assume it's being recorded and everyone can hear.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I remember a similar issue back when TxDOT was running low band. Two employees were making some interesting remarks across the radios. They were in the Amarillo district and being heard across the state. Only took about 15 minutes for a yard supervisor to get a phone call from Austin telling him to locate the employees and another 5 minutes to actually find them.

stevecubfan

Premium Subscriber
channel 7 ran a story friday night which included audio. someone needs to tell them they moved to tac channels not tag channels as they referred to them .

Status
Not open for further replies.