Home Patrol 2 (New Version) Firmware Wish List

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojobreakfast

I have the new HP2 (black version) and I am generally very pleased with it. However, I have it full time mounted in my truck and there are a couple of annoying things about it that I think could be fixed in software with a "mobile mode"...

- Power on when voltage appears at the USB port. This would be really nice so the scanner simply turns on when the ignition is turned on (I have mine powered off of an ignition switched power source in the fuse panel).

- GPS antenna. I have one connected. The unit asks me if I want to use GPS every time I power it on. And it will not start scanning until it gets a yes/no. Why can't this just default to YES or at least default to YES after a few seconds and begin scanning?

- Start charging. Again, why does this sit there demanding an answer in perpetuity? Can we also select a default for this?

I feel that these would be simple fixes that would make the HP2 enormously more friendly in a mobile environment.

Thanks.

Voyager

My HP-2 does power on when power is applied to the USB port.

As for charging, it would not be good to charge the cells, then stop, then charge, then stop, etc. So, the question is appropriate since the scanner has no way of knowing if you want to charge the cells or not.

SCPD

QRT
charging

A charger that knows when to charge the batteries would be nice without any interaction from the end user.:)

Voyager

How would it know I don't want the batteries to charge even if they are low without interaction?

marksmith

Make it so it never charges them unless you specifically initiate charging.

This would probably eliminate most of the interaction. Seems I answer that question NO almost all the time because I recharge batteries using a battery charger and not the radio almost all the time.

This solution would also work for the automotive ignition issue. Other Uniden radios do not ask this question every single time you apply power. 396xt just starts charging. No question.

If you want to use the radio as a battery charger, just have a menu option to start charging. Problem solved. Not constant interaction to tell the radio you DON'T want to do something.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

W0FM

Premium Subscriber
Mute Setting Dropdown

New scanner for me and I may have overlooked this. But, I'd like a menu item that would allow me to select "Mute indefinate" or "Mute till next power off". The 30 second autosetting on the mute function is a pain when I mute the scanner to take a phone call and the call lasts more than 30 seconds.

Terry

Voyager

I'm pretty sure the mute can be set and infinite is an option. Like 99.9% certain.

phask

Premium Subscriber
There is permanent mute as well as levels of mute. I prefer to leave actual mute at 30sec, level 1. If I need a quick longer silence. I hit menu.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Home Patrol -3 Handheld Digital scanner

Enable screen rotation so you can hold it like a handheld scanner.

Last edited:

KC2JS

Feed Provider
I have my HP2 in my vehicle also. If you remove the batteries the scanner turns on/off with the ignition (if that is how you have it wired) and it won't ask you to charge the batteries. The only thing I think you loose by doing this is recording. There could be more, but it is nothing I use.

marksmith

I have my HP2 in my vehicle also. If you remove the batteries the scanner turns on/off with the ignition (if that is how you have it wired) and it won't ask you to charge the batteries. The only thing I think you loose by doing this is recording. There could be more, but it is nothing I use.
I guess it reads the card each time to load favorites?

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Voyager

Correct. It loads FLs each time you power on the scanner and if you add another FL to the scanning list. It also reads the main dB if enabled.

B

bearcat7039

HP-2 Wish list item

I would like to see the site being hit on on the department section when monitoring a multi site system as the 436p does. There is room as on the bottom the channel area you can enable unit ID so it would be nice to be able to see site info on the Department section the same way. Was hoping I would get that option when I purchased the extreme key but alas not....Uniden, please think about adding that in future update. I realize you can look at all the sites and see the ones you have enabled or avoided but I sure would like to see that info while scanning several sites. Thanks

KE0GXN

^Same here. Would be nice to see what towers are being transmitted on along with the unit id.

My other wish would be for the strength signal reception bars to another color then white. They are extremly hard to see due to no signal reception being all gray bars. Green strength reception bars would be much easier to distinguish.

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I have the new HP2 (black version) and I am generally very pleased with it. However, I have it full time mounted in my truck and there are a couple of annoying things about it that I think could be fixed in software with a "mobile mode"...

- Power on when voltage appears at the USB port. This would be really nice so the scanner simply turns on when the ignition is turned on (I have mine powered off of an ignition switched power source in the fuse panel).

- GPS antenna. I have one connected. The unit asks me if I want to use GPS every time I power it on. And it will not start scanning until it gets a yes/no. Why can't this just default to YES or at least default to YES after a few seconds and begin scanning?

- Start charging. Again, why does this sit there demanding an answer in perpetuity? Can we also select a default for this?

I feel that these would be simple fixes that would make the HP2 enormously more friendly in a mobile environment.

Thanks.

+1 on the GPS every time you turn the scanner on. The 536 was set it once and that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.